Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Brain playing the vaccine what if game ...
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:32 pm
From what I am hearing the vaccine will be open to the next phase- pretty much anyone over 16. DD is 20 and there is an unrealistic part of me that is worried that- what if the science is wrong- what if this vaccine messes with reproduction. etc. DH (a doctor) thinks everyone should get the vaccine as being protected is way better than getting sick. I still worry. (yes, I was vaccinated). Am I out of my mind?

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:38 pm
Why would you believe unreliable rumors over your DH's medical expertise?

What are the odds that "the science is wrong", and how do they compare to the odds of her getting Covid and it messing with either her reproductive future, or her general functioning in the future ("long Covid")?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:39 pm
I don't think you are out of your mind. "The science" as you say is neither right or wrong as this vaccine is still in testing and has only been approved for EMERGENCY use. Many don't get that. This does not have FDA approval. I personally think it may make sense for those most at risk to roll the dice and take the vaccine. If your daughter is otherwise healthy I think it's insane to do so. A young healthy person's risk of serious complications from COVID is almost nonexistent. Successful treatments are becoming more and more available. People have lost their minds. But I don't think you are one of them.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:41 pm
imasinger wrote:
Why would you believe unreliable rumors over your DH's medical expertise?

What are the odds that "the science is wrong", and how do they compare to the odds of her getting Covid and it messing with either her reproductive future, or her general functioning in the future ("long Covid")?

OP hasn't said what sort of doctor her husband is. Most have no expertise in this field.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:43 pm
Worldwide, over 2 MILLION people have DIED from Covid.

A handful have died from the vaccine.

You know what's worse than an unproven very remote chance of maybe having infertility?

Being permanently disabled. Or being pregnant and getting Covid, where both mother and baby die in the hospital. Or just not living long enough to even get married and pregnant.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:43 pm
OP are you or dh familiar with the many studies showing the extremely high rates of effectiveness of early treatment of covid with ivermectin or inhaled budesonide?

Also, your dd's age puts her in an extremely low risk category from covid.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:46 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

You know what's worse than an unproven very remote chance of maybe having infertility?

Being permanently disabled. Or being pregnant and getting Covid, where both mother and baby die in the hospital. Or just not living long enough to even get married and pregnant.

Died, without early treatments.

Imagine if these early treatments were given the same publicity and push as the vaccines, or monoclonal antibodies. But there is a knowledge gap because of the push to vaccinate.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:47 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
OP are you or dh familiar with the many studies showing the extremely high rates of effectiveness of early treatment of covid with ivermectin or inhaled budesonide?

Also, your dd's age puts her in an extremely low risk category from covid.

Or she may get a mild case of Covid, and still have long term effects. Or she could be asymptomatic, and be a silent carrier who infects everyone around her - including people with health issues and the elderly. Or she could be one of the rare cases where a perfectly healthy young person suddenly takes a turn for the worse and dies.

These are all things that we know for a FACT have happened in the past.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:48 pm
Dont blame you. I am 39 and worried same way.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:49 pm
imasinger wrote:

What are the odds that "the science is wrong"

Imasinger, I happen to love you so much as a poster here, but in history, the answer to this is many times.

To OP, no you are not crazy. We have and raise children to continue the generations, we do not want to mess with that. How many frum teens do you personally know of first or second hand that have long term covid or a scary serious case of it. Of course you do not want to take a chance on her health, she is your daughter.

We will not factually know long term effects on reproductive health or other health for a long while. In the young age group the risk is low. The risk of the unknown seems bigger than that to many. You are not alone.

Leahh

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:51 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

A big issue with the numbers is that when a person had Covid and died they were very quick to rule the death a covid death. Whether it really was or wasn't. (Upon further review they are starting to say that some deaths were unrelated.)
BUT when a person was vaccinated and dies they are doing all they can to disprove the association. So its very hard to believe the numbers.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:52 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Or she could be asymptomatic, and be a silent carrier who infects everyone around her - including people with health issues and the elderly.

Saying not to this logic. Those people are vaccinated so they cannot get a serious case.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:53 pm
There is no link to infertility and the covid vaccine. None. It is a made up bubbamaisah.

On the other hand, my 25 year old sister, 10.5 months after having a mild case of covid, still has heart palpitations that only started after covid. Heart palpitations are not at all normal. So there is something abnormal going on with her heart.
And ive heard the same from others...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:56 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
OP hasn't said what sort of doctor her husband is. Most have no expertise in this field.

You are correct- it is not dh's specialty, and from what I am hearing no doc really understands all of it.

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:57 pm
Why do you suspect that covid vaccines impact reproduction?

Do you think this way about other vaccines?

Also, do you engage in any behaviors and practices for which there is some scientific evidence of a fertility impact (using cellphones, wearing tight underwear, eating processed foods, living in urban environments)?

Not saying whether to get vaccinated or not, but just trying to put the choice in perspective.

Last edited by DrMom on Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:58 pm
I would NOT let my daughter get married and then possibly pregnant immediately without being fully vaccinated first. Too many young pregnant women have died, lost their babies and/or suffered serious long term organ/health damage. Pregnancy is a major risk factor for serious complications of covid. Unless you're betting on her waiting to get married/pregnant until covid is eradicated (which may never happen) I would get her vaccinated.

And don't talk to me about covid being "low risk" for young people. Maybe for DEATH but not for long term complications. I know two teenage girls, one of which is my own daughter (age 16, other is a 15 year old neighbor) who are now bedridden with post covid complications. Neither had any risk factors going in and both had a "minor case" of covid with complications (including heart damage) only becoming apparent after they "recovered".

People not vaccinating are fools.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:59 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Or she may get a mild case of Covid, and still have long term effects. Or she could be asymptomatic, and be a silent carrier who infects everyone around her - including people with health issues and the elderly. Or she could be one of the rare cases where a perfectly healthy young person suddenly takes a turn for the worse and dies.

Wow- you could be in my brain right now- but then there is the other side....
Of course all of the other side is based on the one experience I had when my son was young and there was a new vaccine for rotovirus B"H he was fine, but they pulled it because of side effect some children experienced- so as I am already an anxious person...

itsmeima

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:59 pm
I large number of people got pregnant during the vaccine trail. Some scientists joked its a side effect!

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:00 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

People with mild cases as a general rule, don't have long term effects. Extremely rare.

The asympotmatic carrier myth was propagated endlessly by the media but large studies have debunked it. (Virus spreads via droplets, ie, symptoms, like sneezing. People with no symptoms are not thought to spread viruses, why would we assume covid is different in the first place?)

Again, highly, highly unusual for someone with no symptoms, young and in a low risk category, to suddenly die. Early treatment works. But this HAS happened with the vaccines.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:00 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Saying not to this logic. Those people are vaccinated so they cannot get a serious case.

How do you know that every single person OP's daughter comes in contact with has been vaccinated?

Why does OP's daughter get to skip the vaccine and count on everyone else doing their due diligence? What about the people who cannot get the vaccine for various preexisting conditions?

I'm not making light of the struggles of people who have infertility, but right now there is no proven link - it's all anecdote. What we do know is that having Corona while pregnant can be extremely dangerous, if not deadly. The rate of miscarriage is extremely high. There's no point worrying about fertility if she gets sick and can't carry to term, or if she ends up on a ventilator with a high risk pregnancy.

If I were OP, I would rather have my daughter protected from Covid, and if worse comes to worse she could look into using a donor egg, a surrogate, or adoption.

As a matter of fact, my 17yo DD just got her second vaccine, and I couldn't be happier.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics