Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
I learned it this way in school so it must be right
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 12:37 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
This is even scarier. I hope you don’t teach your students that te Baal haturim is wrong. You know in hilchos gematria you can be off by one number. The fact that you didn’t know this and are a teacher is more troublesome to me then anything.
I very rarely teach gematrios because they don’t do any for me, but I hope I misunderstood you if you are a kodesh teacher.

Chas veshalom! Please read what I wrote again because you misread my post. Can't Believe It

Of course the Baal Haturim is correct! What I said was that I use this Ba'al Haturim to teach the concept of "kollel," meaning that the rules of gematria allow one to add the "whole" if the number is off by one. Since for many of them, they never learned this rule, I illustrate it through this Baal Haturim.

All I was saying is that I encourage them to work out the math themselves so they see it clearly.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 12:40 pm
Gematrios can be off by one. The letter aleph is allowed to be there/not be there. I learned this in elementary school.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 12:53 pm
I hope your not a teacher. This information is false. Moshe went up 3 times returning on Yom Kippur.

I will edit my post, thank you for correcting me.
However my point remains. Many drawings of Har Sinai depict the thunder and lightening of Matan Torah along with the luchos, which did not happen at the same time.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 12:54 pm
Op, just because someone married a Rosh yeshiva, doesn’t mean she is smart or educated.
I really don’t mean this to disparage pre school teachers but there’s a reason she’s teaching pre school and not high school Chumash.
If she doesn’t know basic Halacha that my second grade daughter knows, it’s a problem. Btw the hint to that Halacha is straight in the kitzur as well in hilchos mishloach manos. (Matanos is plural, ish lraiaihu is singular)
Mistakes just don’t fly in my children’s school as b”h there is a solid system of checking things over by all the principals.
There is also a very involved and educated parent body that would complain ASAP, if there were mistakes. I know I would.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 12:55 pm
I'm a teacher, my students misquote me all the time. It makes me crazy to think what kind of ideas they tell their parents that I never said. They have these preconceived ideas in their heads that they just can't get past and it's fascinating to see how whatever you say that's different will fly right past them.
That said, I wish there were more high quality limudei kodesh curriculums available so that teachers make fewer mistakes as they teach.

writinggirl

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:00 pm
Op, just because someone married a Rosh yeshiva, doesn’t mean she is smart or educated.
I really don’t mean this to disparage pre school teachers but there’s a reason she’s teaching pre school and not high school Chumash.
If she doesn’t know basic Halacha that my second grade daughter knows, it’s a problem. Btw the hint to that Halacha is straight in the kitzur as well in hilchos mishloach manos. (Matanos is plural, ish lraiaihu is singular)
Mistakes just don’t fly in my children’s school as b”h there is a solid system of checking things over by all the principals.
There is also a very involved and educated parent body that would complain ASAP, if there were mistakes. I know I would.

I take issue with your comment regarding preschool teachers. I am not a teacher (I am in the healthcare field), but I have met extremely bright and skilled preschool teachers who can evaluate children and help them reach developmental milestones, and pretty disappointing highschool chumash teachers who just read off their notes. Someone's job isn't a reflection of how capable they are- there are many other factors such as ambition, motivation, creativity, and investment into giving your job your all.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:03 pm
Op, I’m a limudai kodesh teacher for many years as well.
I think what you wrote is very dangerous on a site like this where everyone loves to blame everything on the system.
Many people here can’t even differentiate between yeshivish and Chassidish.

The schools my daughters have attended from elementary to BJJ are nothing like you’re describing.
They are high caliber with excellent teachers. The principals, who are well educated mechanchos. check every paper given out as well as review every test. There are no mistakes due to lack of education
Kids that misquote my lessons? For sure. No matter what a teacher does, it’s inevitable.

It sounds to me like you are trying to bash the "other" system.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:04 pm

Probably because she's skilled at teaching and caring for young children, which would be wasted on a high school teacher.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:08 pm

That's great. I'm happy for you.

In general, I noticed that today's rebbeim are better trained than previous generations as well. Especially in Lakewood/NY. Not as much oot. My bil is a rebbe in Lakewood and had to take several courses before he was hired, and needs to continually take courses. I think that's great.

My point about the preschool teacher being a choshuv person who taught for many years is that there have been 30 years of students who were taught this...that is the point I'm trying to make in this thread. Its often hard to undo that which we learned when we were younger.

But every adult should have the maturity to revisit issues later on if they learn something that is different than what they remember being taught.

The mistake about Mordechai being Esther's uncle has been raised here on Imamother numerous times, and each time someone insists that its a real thing. (It even made it onto Purim USA, that iconic kids' tape many of us loved listening to growing up. )

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's great. I'm happy for you.

In general, I noticed that today's rebbeim are better trained than previous generations as well. Especially in Lakewood/NY. Not as much oot. My bil is a rebbe in Lakewood and had to take several courses before he was hired, and needs to continually take courses. I think that's great.

My point about the preschool teacher being a choshuv person who taught for many years is that there have been 30 years of students who were taught this...that is the point I'm trying to make in this thread. Its often hard to undo that which we learned when we were younger.

But every adult should have the maturity to revisit issues later on if they learn something that is different than what they remember being taught.

The mistake about Mordechai being Esther's uncle has been raised here on Imamother numerous times, and each time someone insists that its a real thing. (It even made it onto Purim USA, that iconic kids' tape many of us loved listening to growing up. )

This is why we should only listen to "The Purim Story."
"Oh Cousin Mordechai I'm all alone, I don't have the strength to make it all alone!"
Laugh

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:20 pm
abbygiva wrote:
I take issue with your comment regarding preschool teachers. I am not a teacher (I am in the healthcare field), but I have met extremely bright and skilled preschool teachers who can evaluate children and help them reach developmental milestones, and pretty disappointing highschool chumash teachers who just read off their notes. Someone's job isn't a reflection of how capable they are- there are many other factors such as ambition, motivation, creativity, and investment into giving your job your all.

And I agree with abbygiva. A person's choice in being a preschool teacher does not reflect negatively on her intellectual level. Ginger's comments smack from extreme arrogance.

My daughter's pre-school teacher was otherwise an increidble teacher, with excellent teaching modalities and insight into kids. She taught my daughter how to read and so much more. I was not trying to take away from her competence when I said that she made that one mistake, which as I said, is so widespread, I see it every year.

(In fact I look for it in the Mishpacha/Ami/Bina every year come Purim time because I'm sure to find it in the recipe section. )

Additionally, she had the grace and humility to immediately retract what she said, even though I was 30 years younger than her.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:20 pm
Where do your kids go to school? I’ve taught to a tonupper elementary as well as high school. Yona is a very short Sefer so very easy to teach and never had confusion your talking about.
The two fish Rashi, is one of the most typical rashis my daughters have learned by fourth grade for sure.

I work in a preschool and heard teachers say whale

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:25 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
This is why we should only listen to "The Purim Story."
"Oh Cousin Mordechai I'm all alone, I don't have the strength to make it all alone!"
Laugh

I loved both of those albums growing up! I loved Purim USA because of the clever songs.

Incidentally, in the same album (Purim USA), Mordechai is referred to as BOTH an uncle and a cousin.

The narrater calls her Esther's cousin.
But the song Esther sings goes, "Uncle Mordechai, please help me hide!.."
Also:
"Uncle of mine, this is all very fine, but what about my life???? The king is very formal, it isn't very normal, the way he treats his wife.." LOL

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:36 pm
Just to correct you most of your hebrew words are wrong. It's mishloach manos not shalach manos. It's chumash not chimash etc...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:38 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
I work in a preschool and heard teachers say whale

True this is one of those very common mistakes that come from the secular world. I assume that the originator of Pinnochio got the idea from the story of Yonah.
Its only natural that it would seep into our world as well as "Yonah and the whale".

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:40 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Just to correct you most of your hebrew words are wrong. It's mishloach manos not shalach manos. It's chumash not chimash etc...

Seriously those are probably just typos. No one thinks it’s Chimash. And most people’s spell check change things as they type.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:42 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

Who are you addressing?

If it's me, I don't know where I would have written "chimash", but that would have been a typo. I'm typing on a phone.

You are correct that Mishloach Manos is the correct term. It is colloquially referred to as shalach manos.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:46 pm
I knew people would get uppity about the pre school teacher comment.
I stand by what I say because it’s not an insult.
People here really have to let go of some of their anger and they’ll be much happier in general
Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. I can’t be a sheitel marcher, an immunologist or a painter. It’s not an insult, it just is.
Op was trying to prove that a teacher should know her “stuff” because she’s a wife of a Rosh yeshiva. I was pointing out that that’s not a raayah. (She should know Halacha anyways but that’s another point)
Just because she’s a wife of a RY doesn’t mean she’s a milumedes. I’m sure she’s way way more In tune with pre school child development then I am! You don’t need to defend her. I don’t even care, I’m happy for her.
But there is a certain level of skills and education needed to teach high level limudai kodesh. A RY wife is not the criteria for that

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:47 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

I just rechecked this entire thread and could not find anyplace where the word was spelled "chimash". Mind pointing it out to me?

EtA: and also..."most of your hebrew words are wrong".. ? Please enlighten us.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:58 pm
I knew people would get uppity about the pre school teacher comment.
I stand by what I say because it’s not an insult.
People here really have to let go of some of their anger and they’ll be much happier in general
Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. I can’t be a sheitel marcher, an immunologist or a painter. It’s not an insult, it just is.
Op was trying to prove that a teacher should know her “stuff” because she’s a wife of a Rosh yeshiva. I was pointing out that that’s not a raayah. (She should know Halacha anyways but that’s another point)
Just because she’s a wife of a RY doesn’t mean she’s a milumedes. I’m sure she’s way way more In tune with pre school child development then I am! You don’t need to defend her. I don’t even care, I’m happy for her.
But there is a certain level of skills and education needed to teach high level limudai kodesh. A RY wife is not the criteria for that

Point taken about different strengths.
I guess I did think that an isha chashuva, wife of a rebbetzin would be expected to know something very basic like that. You dont need to be a high level melumedes for that.
So to me, that was a raayah.

And my point was never to disparage her or her competence. It was only to point out that that particular misconception is extremely widespread.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions