Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
I learned it this way in school so it must be right
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Who are you addressing?

If it's me, I don't know where I would have written "chimash", but that would have been a typo. I'm typing on a phone.

You are correct that Mishloach Manos is the correct term. It is colloqially referred to as shalach manos.

This is how misinformation is spread. As a teacher you should only be using the correct term in your classroom. You wrote chimush in your op.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:02 pm
OP, there are sources that Mordechai was Esther's uncle. We don't know this for sure, there isn't one correct medrash on this. Many things in the torah are chilukay dayas.

writinggirl

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:05 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I knew people would get uppity about the pre school teacher comment.
I stand by what I say because it’s not an insult.
People here really have to let go of some of their anger and they’ll be much happier in general
Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. I can’t be a sheitel marcher, an immunologist or a painter. It’s not an insult, it just is.
Op was trying to prove that a teacher should know her “stuff” because she’s a wife of a Rosh yeshiva. I was pointing out that that’s not a raayah. (She should know Halacha anyways but that’s another point)
Just because she’s a wife of a RY doesn’t mean she’s a milumedes. I’m sure she’s way way more In tune with pre school child development then I am! You don’t need to defend her. I don’t even care, I’m happy for her.
But there is a certain level of skills and education needed to teach high level limudai kodesh. A RY wife is not the criteria for that

Way to be passive aggressive- you sound a lot angrier than anyone else here.

paperflowers

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:16 pm
About Yonah and the whale. I don’t recall ever learning from a frum source that it was a whale, always a “big fish.” Nevertheless, it very well could have been a whale because the Torah doesn’t distinguish between mammals and fish, rather between sea creatures and land creatures.

professor

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:24 pm
I laughed reading these posts while crushing garlic (don't ask how the fish came out)

It reminds me of a first grade teacher who was once approached by a mother.

Mother: why did my son come home and say that Yona was swalloed by a big duck?

Teacher: what? (Horrified) when did I say that??

Student: (the next day) morah, you said duck gadol bala et Yona

Teacher: ooohhh no dag, dag, not duck. Dag is a fish.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:30 pm
Some more misconceptions:

We don't eat giraffes because we're not sure where on its neck to shecht it. (Actually, it's easier with a long neck. But giraffe meat is expensive and not particularly tasty.)

Muktzah means you're not allowed to touch the item on Shabbos. (You're actually not allowed to MOVE the item.)

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:36 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Some more misconceptions:

We don't eat giraffes because we're not sure where on its neck to shecht it. (Actually, it's easier with a long neck. But giraffe meat is expensive and not particularly tasty.)

Muktzah means you're not allowed to touch the item on Shabbos. (You're actually not allowed to MOVE the item.)

Actually, the giraffe issue is correct. We don't know exactly where the neck starts so it's hard to know where to shecht.
We always learnt that muktza means not moving the item. My kids learnt this as well.
Many things are not misconceptions, there are different opinions and machlokos on many things. Because you learnt one p'shat, it doesn't make learning a different p'shat a misconception.

BH Yom Yom

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:36 pm
professor wrote:
I laughed reading these posts while crushing garlic (don't ask how the fish came out)

It reminds me of a first grade teacher who was once approached by a mother.

Mother: why did my son come home and say that Yona was swalloed by a big duck?

Teacher: what? (Horrified) when did I say that??

Student: (the next day) morah, you said duck gadol bala et Yona

Teacher: ooohhh no dag, dag, not duck. Dag is a fish.

And then there’s the kid who hears “dog” instead of “dag” and thinks Yonah was swallowed by a canine Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:39 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
This is how misinformation is spread. As a teacher you should only be using the correct term in your classroom. You wrote chimush in your op.

I hope you are joking but I can't tell.
I found the misspelled word and corrected it.
Thank you for pointing it out to me.

Ftr, I used the word "chumash" twice more in the op, and several more times in this thread, and spelled it right the other times.

If you are trying to be facetious, its kind of a lame attempt. "Chimash " is not an incorrect term and we are not in the classroom. Its a misspelling on a site. The I is right next to the u on my phone keyboard. Rolling Eyes

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:41 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
OP, there are sources that Mordechai was Esther's uncle. We don't know this for sure, there isn't one correct medrash on this. Many things in the torah are chilukay dayas.

Here we go...
Sorry, but please look this one up. Please find me just one source (other than Josephus who was a secular historian). And other than Purim USA.

ETA. This isn't a medrash but a passuk in the megilla.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:41 pm
Actually, the giraffe issue is correct. We don't know exactly where the neck starts so it's hard to know where to shecht.
We always learnt that muktza means not moving the item. My kids learnt this as well.

My students call every melacha Muktza. I teach Hilchos shabbos and it's something I keep stressing, turning on a light is not Muktza, it's a melacha. I don't know where in their education this issue started but it's Nissan and I still have students saying that even though I've been correcting them since Elul. And yes, we learned the definitions of Av Melacha, Muktza etc.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:47 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
My students call every melacha Muktza. I teach Hilchos shabbos and it's something I keep stressing, turning on a light is not Muktza, it's a melacha. I don't know where in their education this issue started but it's Nissan and I still have students saying that even though I've been correcting them since Elul. And yes, we learned the definitions of Av Melacha, Muktza etc.

Yes, my students say this, as well. As have my own children, and I’ve made sure to correct them. This is quite wide spread.

amother
Fuchsia

Really muktzah is any item that may not be moved or handled on shabbos. So moving a light switch is muktzah. The light turning on is malacha.
We're doing something muktzah which causes us to transgress a malacha.

Crookshanks

That's interesting. In elementary school we learned hilchos muktzah and the lamed tes melachos as two separate subjects.

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:48 pm
Re the giraffes....

Giraffe'a have the same number of vertebrae as a human and a cow (seven for those who are wondering) my understanding was that the knife has to be twice as long as the neck and to try that with a giraffe it's hard to hold it steady

Also how do you know giraffes meat isn't tasty if you've never tried it? Here's what one guy has to say..
https://nymag.com/intelligence.....rned.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:50 pm
singleagain wrote:
Re the giraffes....

Giraffe'a have the same number of vertebrae as a human and a cow (seven for those who are wondering) my understanding was that the knife has to be twice as long as the neck and to try that with a giraffe it's hard to hold it steady

Also how do you know giraffes meat isn't tasty if you've never tried it? Here's what one guy has to say..
https://nymag.com/intelligence.....rned.

And DH told me that the issue with eating giraffes is specifically that we don’t have a mesorah to be able to do so 🤷🏻‍♀️

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:51 pm

Actually learning hilchos shabbos in school cleared up my understanding of what muktzah actually means.

OP, I understand your concern but I think it is a bit overblown. By and large, the schools do a great job teaching halacha and other limudei kodesh facts. If there are a few mistakes here and there, such as 2 brachos instead of 2 types of food in mishloach manos it really isn't that big a deal. So, people make sure to put a cookie and an apple in their mm instead a brownie and a wafer, who cares. Or aren't clear how Mordechai and Esther were related, it doesn't impact their observance of the chag.

A lot of the common misconceptions get corrected eventually. It's rare that they are the really important halachic ones that would inadvertently cause something to eat treif or do melacha on shabbos or such.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:55 pm

Again, it's a widely-held misconception, so that may be why you think so. https://www.chabad.org/library.....r.htm

In addition, yes, there's also the issue of mesorah. There's also the very practical issue of how to trap a wild giraffe and hold it steady enough to shecht. Maybe a shochet on a crane? Very Happy

And singlegain, you're right. I have no idea how it tastes! That was an assumption - I apologize.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:57 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Actually learning hilchos shabbos in school cleared up my understanding of what muktzah actually means.

OP, I understand your concern but I think it is a bit overblown. By and large, the schools do a great job teaching halacha and other limudei kodesh facts. If there are a few mistakes here and there, such as 2 brachos instead of 2 types of food in mishloach manos it really isn't that big a deal. So, people make sure to put a cookie and an apple in their mm instead a brownie and a wafer, who cares. Or aren't clear how Mordechai and Esther were related, it doesn't impact their observance of the chag.

A lot of the common misconceptions get corrected eventually. It's rare that they are the really important halachic ones that would inadvertently cause something to eat treif or do melacha on shabbos or such.

I agree. I think the school system by and large does a great job. As a teacher, I stand in awe of my fellow teachers. I am.also very happy, as a whole , with my children's teachers.

As I mentioned above, what inspired this thread was that I had a conversation with someone where I mentioned one of these very basic misconceptions, and her response was "I learned it in school, so that is obviously correct. " I said, go look at the passuk. She had absolutely no interest in checking just because some random imamother said it... Can't Believe It

Maybe its just a different personality type...I don't get it.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Here we go...
Sorry, but please look this one up. Please find me just one source (other than Josephus who was a secular historian). And other than Purim USA.

ETA. This isn't a medrash but a passuk in the megilla.

In the megilla it says Esther was "Dod Mordechai" dod means a neice. There are various opinions on this and because you teach that Esther was a cousin, it doesn't mean that it's correct. We don't know what's absolutely correct.
I never heard of the Purim USA tape.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions