Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Yom tov at home with young children

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 11:10 pm
If you spent yom tov (entire yom tov) at home and have young children (ages 10 and under), did you have a lot of bickering?
We ended off yom tov on a frustrating note because everyone was testing our limits and we lost our patience sadly.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 11:25 pm
Yes, was very difficult, lost patience multiple times

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 11:52 pm
Patience? I can't even remember what it was like when I had any Help
It's been a hard week and a half.

I feel bad but I'm looking forward to going to work tomorrow.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 11:53 pm
YT at home is beautiful. But if all your family is away you may get lonely too.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:00 am
Bh Yom Tov at home was really nice. I find it way easier to stay home than to be away. The kids behave better at home when they're sleeping in their beds and are on a normal schedule.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:03 am
Yep, YT was nice ... but yes kids ages 12 and under fought a lot .... mostly stupid things.. I think it’s comes from too much togetherness

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:35 am
Yes, of course.

We find that when we have guests it's much nicer overall.

s1

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:40 am
My kids fought/fight pretty much nonstop. We even had a broken door hinge but BH no broken bones Wink
I try to ignore some but they did get a good yelling at on CHhM which cooled things off a bit.
Regular squabbling over games/space on the couch is ok but I am trying to put my foot down against name calling as it usually leads to physical fights.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:58 am
Yes, yes, 3 kids under 10, nearly no close family to go to, loads of bickering, fighting, screaming and yelling. And the kids totally ruined one of our chol hamoed trips, deciding collectively that it was "stupid", and behaving so badly that we got criticized and threatened with legal measures by the guards of the site we were at and had to break off and leave early. Oh, and on another day trip 2 days earlier, ds jumped accidentally on my foot and while I was bent over in pain checking my toes for damages, he and his brother made off quickly in seperate directions and the park staff called us out on loudspeaker after one of them was found ambling around the lake alone and crying.

But I will say this for them - they behaved well and cooperated beautifully with the seder. And, B"H that we have children, after IF and all. Better YT with them than without them, despite the challenges.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:27 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Yes, of course.

We find that when we have guests it's much nicer overall.

When we have guests they get hyper and out of control.

Amother teal I love how you broke it down.

We had amazing sedarim. We also had a few good days of chol hamoed and good long stretches on yom tov itself, until the fighting and bad handling by dh or myself kicked in. Mostly on day 2 of pesach (day 3 of "yt" because it followed shabbos ) and thefollowong morning of chhmd, and yesterday, the last day of pesach.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:53 am
We have 3 kids, 7 and under. They bickered about the same as any weekend. It helps that we live in an area where everyone has yards and the weather was nice. So they spent a lot of time outdoors and got to play with a lot of neighbors and friends. The only tricky part was managing snacks, because different friends have different Pesach restrictions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics