Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
If you know both, how does Passaic compare to Far Rockaway?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:11 pm
Anyone familiar with both communities who can chime in? In terms of the crowd, the friendliness, the sense of community, the schools, the hashkofos, the affordability....

Thank you!!

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:40 pm
Passaic is definelty more religous than Far Rockaway. Far rockaway is more affordable because there are more options- Passaic has only 2 stores and they are both overpriced. Don't really know about the schools as my children never went to school in Far Rockaway so I can't compare.When I lived in Far Rockaway I was scared to walk on certain streets at certain times, in Passaic, I don't feel like that at all B'H.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:57 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Passaic is definelty more religous than Far Rockaway. Far rockaway is more affordable because there are more options- Passaic has only 2 stores and they are both overpriced. Don't really know about the schools as my children never went to school in Far Rockaway so I can't compare.When I lived in Far Rockaway I was scared to walk on certain streets at certain times, in Passaic, I don't feel like that at all B'H.

I’m not sure when you lived in far Rockaway, but it’s not at all what I would call affordable. And the community AS A WHOLE (not necessarily all the individuals who live there) has takes a large step to the right. As for shopping, I don’t do that in FR, except for groceries, which I do in woodmere at gourmet glatt. I find all the clothing and shoe stores here (and grocery stores!!) to be supremely overpriced.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:07 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
I’m not sure when you lived in far Rockaway, but it’s not at all what I would call affordable. And the community AS A WHOLE (not necessarily all the individuals who live there) has takes a large step to the right. As for shopping, I don’t do that in FR, except for groceries, which I do in woodmere at gourmet glatt. I find all the clothing and shoe stores here (and grocery stores!!) to be supremely overpriced.

I very much agree. It’s definitely not the most affordable place to live. Buying or renting here is very expensive. Groceries, clothing... are all more expensive than places like Brooklyn or Lakewood. I can’t compare to Passaic though.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:13 am
When I left far rockaway I looked into passaic but I felt it had too many of the same issues that I was trying to leave behind so I chose not to move there. They seemed pretty similar, except passaic has cheaper housing.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:21 am
Passaic is very expensive as well and doesnt have a Moshe’s or a bingo close by

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:27 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I think it’s the exact opposite of everything you said

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:32 am
For groceries Passaic is more expensive than lakewood , brooklyn and the cheaper groceries in Monsey. But as a whole its a less materialistic place. so less social pressure. But things are more expensive. People shop in Monsey a lot. 40 min drive.
( I've lived in Lakewood , Monsey and Passaic. - sorry cant be helpful about Far Rockaway. Only visited)

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 2:23 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Passaic is very expensive as well and doesnt have a Moshe’s or a bingo close by

Neither does far rockaway. Sorry, but shopping in Brooklyn, for anything- clothing, groceries, whatever- is not always an option. I refuse to pay the local clothing prices, so I shop online for my kids, and get my girls shoes from Payless. I can’t get to Brooklyn, so I need to do my grocery shopping here. I used to order from moishas and have it delivered once a week, but their minimum makes it impossible for me now.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:43 am
they both have a high cost of living. I've lived in both- I think Far Rockaway had more of an achdus and sense of community. But I haven't lived there for almost 20 years. Passaic is going very far to the right that people in the middle feel looked down on- it's really not nice the attitudes that have become normal place in Passaic.It wasn't that way 15 years ago when I moved there.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 2:36 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I think it’s the exact opposite of everything you said

In what way?

Thanks.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 2:36 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Neither does far rockaway. Sorry, but shopping in Brooklyn, for anything- clothing, groceries, whatever- is not always an option. I refuse to pay the local clothing prices, so I shop online for my kids, and get my girls shoes from Payless. I can’t get to Brooklyn, so I need to do my grocery shopping here. I used to order from moishas and have it delivered once a week, but their minimum makes it impossible for me now.

Do you know how it compares to Passaic?

Thanks.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 2:37 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
When I left far rockaway I looked into passaic but I felt it had too many of the same issues that I was trying to leave behind so I chose not to move there. They seemed pretty similar, except passaic has cheaper housing.

Can I ask which issues you felt both neighborhoods had?

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:01 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
they both have a high cost of living. I've lived in both- I think Far Rockaway had more of an achdus and sense of community. But I haven't lived there for almost 20 years. Passaic is going very far to the right that people in the middle feel looked down on- it's really not nice the attitudes that have become normal place in Passaic.It wasn't that way 15 years ago when I moved there.

I’m sorry this is your experience. It isn't mine living here.
It may actually be Lashon hara to blast a whole community. And probably motzi shem ra since it isnt true of my experience.
Sadly there may be people like that in any community.
Good luckOP.
Sorry I have no living experience in far rockaway.
If not for the pandemic spending a shabbos in each community would be ideal.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:38 pm
Passaic is a wonderful open minded community. It's not judgemental
It's not a MO community but many families are balei teshuvas or from MO backgrounds. I find that there is such spiritual growth here
It has grown tremendously the past few years so as a result there are more type of people here then a few years ago- but it has not moved a lot to the right. There are very right wing people here and less right wing people here

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:40 pm
People are really nice and friendly and it's pretty low key
During the week many women are in snoods and casual clothes- no one blinks a n eyelash if you wear the same outfit every day:)

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:11 pm
I live in Far Rockaway. I wouldnt call it affordable.
We pay 1500 for a basement apartment which is considered cheap.

Groceries are expensive, the only supermarket we have is Frankels and most people end up driving to central to shop in kol save/gg or seasons.

My babies are young so I cant chime in with schools.

But I live near darchei and I find it to be a very yeshivish. I hardly see men walking without hats on during the week. Most of my block are all rebbeim and moros.

Unless you have family or friends here, I would say its hard to find a sense of community. Could be it will change when our kids go to school but for now thats been our experience.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 9:40 pm
We moved from Lakewood to Passaic. I know Far Rockaway based on relatives living there and visiting a lot.

We love Passaic for (1) walkability to literally everything you need (2) low key low pressure environment (3) positive atmosphere, especially in the schools.

The best thing that happened was watching my children literally become happier and have a positive view of Yiddishkeit.

Far Rockaway seems to be on par with these aspects but maybe housing is a little expensive and maybe not as walkable to everything.

Good luck!

greenteaorange

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 10:29 pm
My understanding is far rockaway is more expensive for houses. In far rockaway you have more fancy type stores near by (central Ave).
Passaic is very low key n materialistic place very family oriented and torah oriented

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:39 am
greenteaorange wrote:
My understanding is far rockaway is more expensive for houses. In far rockaway you have more fancy type stores near by (central Ave).
Passaic is very low key n materialistic place very family oriented and torah oriented

Technically those stores are all in the five towns. There are few, if any, fancy stores in far Rockaway.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating