Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Florida development
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 7:20 pm
If you are a teacher, the schools are looking for experienced teachers. If you work as a OT or ST, there are more kids moving in, so probably wont be too hard to get in.

amother
Black

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 7:57 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Didnt read the whole thread so I dont know if this was already mentioned.

I live in Florida.

There are people trying to start new communities all the time.
A few years ago a brand new community started in east Hollywood. Afaik, they already have 10 or 12 families. Mostly young families with a kid or two. They rav and rebbetzin are very wonderful people. Also, Hollywood in general is becoming more open to the yeshivish crowd. They have a Kollel there run by Rabbi Parnes. Hollywood is close to NMB where the schools are and there are also schools in Hollywood. 45 minutes to Miamk Beach.

Also, East boca is a fairly new community.

Several years ago, several families moved out to Cooper City. I think it's about 15 minutes from hollywood. There is also Kendall which needs to be explored. Rabbi Becker is the Rav there.

All.of these communities are close enough to bus into NMB for school.

I do want to mention for those of you who are chassidish and value a chassidish education: aside from Lubavitch, there is no such thing here. I dont know much about the new Tampa community. (I think they have about 10 families) but if you are chassidish and thinking to move to Florida, know that the existing schools are run on the litvish derech. If you are ok with that, your children will be accepted. I know several chassidish families (father wears a shtreimel, kids were long payos) in our schools, but you need to be ok with not learning in Yiddish, etc.

OP, if you are really interested, I suggest you contact Rabbi Matz, head of aguda Yisroel of South Florida.

Do you know the name of the Rabbi in the East Hollywood shul?

Also, calling Rabbi Matz is a great idea! Thanks

Frumme

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 8:20 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
SWFL as in south west Florida? What’s on the west Coast? I don’t know of any communities on the west cost of south Florida.

Sorry, I mistyped Smile I meant southeast FL in my previous post, as in Miami.

But yes there are small pockets of communities on the west coast... Small community in Ft Myers and Cape Coral, even smaller communities in Sarasota and Naples. Not very large and based around chabad houses

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 9:05 pm
Op here
What I meant was one someone mentioned up thread-looking for what Toms River and Jackson are to lakewood, from what I hear about lakewood. Not looking to start a kehilla and I’m not chassidish or Chabad. Yeshivish leaning...

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 9:20 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Do you know the name of the Rabbi in the East Hollywood shul?

Also, calling Rabbi Matz is a great idea! Thanks

Yes, Rabbi Tzvi Yehuda Smith. Wife is Guila.
Amazing people.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 10:31 pm
Just putting in a plug for jacksonville. For those of you who don't enjoy the heat, the weather here is much cooler here than in south Florida. During the winter months it's gorgeous. It does get hot in summer but that only lasts a few months. The rest of the time the weather is really enjoyable.

amother
Black

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 10:35 pm
Are there Jewish schools in Jacksonville?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 10:35 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Are there Jewish schools in Jacksonville?

Yes. Very small. But growing.
No boys mesivta. Boys leave for Yeshiva high school.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 10:57 pm
Principal of day school new this year and very successful. Girls high school opening for coming school year iyh

amother
Tan

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:11 pm
Everyone interested in Florida and won’t be able to keep their current jobs, did any of you look into salaries?
With the minimum wage at $8.65, even senior level jobs lag extremely behind NY salaries. You may have less expenses than you do here but with kosher food and tuition the costs will add up elsewhere. It is something many people aren’t keeping in mind.
My peers in the same field as me in Florida are earning a 1/3 of what I earn in NY

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:21 pm
I have family in Jacksonville Florida. The community is growing and looking to welcome more families.
There is a new chasdidush shul that just opened up right outside of century village in Deerfield beach. Century village is for 55 and above but I hear younger heimish looking to buy near the shul.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 7:19 am
For those that children get services don’t expect that in south Florida. Services are limited to the public school and even that is a far cry from what there is in NY.
School here is super expensive as well

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 8:46 am
The voucher program for tuition in Florida is amazing. It's called 'step up' and most are eligible for it.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 7:52 pm
I can very easily work in Jacksonville can you please send me any info you have on the community who to reach out to etc.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 7:59 pm
Hey I can PM you my info - I live here. Just not sure how to PM

momtriesbest

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:15 pm
Just realized can't pm if imamother. You can pm me now under screen name

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:22 pm
The shul in Jacksonville is Etz Chaim and the rabbi is Rabbi Yaakov Fisch.
Rabbi Shalom Horowitz is the principal of the day school, called Torah Academy of Jacksonville.
There is a kollel here as well and the Rosh Kollel is Rabbi Yosef Chaim Cohen.
PM me for my contact info.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:42 pm
BTW- There is a brand new boys high school in Hollywood
Starting this year with 9th grade
https://floridayeshiva.com/#14.....-3162

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:33 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
There's affordable housing on the other side of sheridan in Hollywood Florida. I'm just waiting for the community to expand in that direction, its gonna happen!

This is already happening. There have been 2 or 3 shuls there for 15 years. Contact Rabbi Sharbani
David Chai Synagogue | Orthodox Synagogue in Hollywood, Florida

4601 Thomas St, Hollywood, FL 33021
(954) 274-0401 https://g.co/kgs/PbLo6Z

Also Bais Mordechai is well established and further out west hence cheaper Bais Mordechai / Kollel Boker

4200 N 66th Ave, Hollywood, FL 33024
(954) 251-1856 https://g.co/kgs/2BBwei

There is a new young Israel on the corner of 40th and Stirling the houses in Playland Isles are between $320k-$400k

And the eruv has been expanded to cover the new areas near Hollywood that people are moving to. https://eruvhollywood.com
Eruv Hollywood Florida - Eruv Hollywood

Also, other places in Broward are starting to get offshoot communities. Pompano and Lauderhill are probably some of the cheapest places in Broward

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:34 pm
There's a great group on Facebook called move to a Jewish community out of town. It's very helpful.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating