Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
About Chassidic Women Davening
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
I want to Daven regularly, but I can't bring myself to it.

I have some faith issues. I say Tehillim now and then though.

What should I do?

edited by moderator
MOST CHASSIDIC WOMEN DAVEN.

But if you "want" to daven, why don't you start with the brochos and shma. That's only about 2-3 pages. If you're in the mood of more, you can say the shemone esreh. If you have the time and want even more, say baruch she'omar, ashrei, yishtabach and continue on until after the shemone esreh. But don't force yourself. Start with a little bit at a time whenever you want. Eventually, when you’ll be able to, you’ll daven the complete shachris.

If you don't have the time in the morning or you're not in the mood in the morning and you really want to say "a yiddish vort" to the Rebono Shel Olam, how about a little mincha. That's easy. All you have to say is ashrei and shemonei esreh and oleinu. If you're in the mood of a bit more, you can say the karbonus before ashrei. And that's the entire mincha.

Last edited by Besiyata Dishmaya on Sat, Mar 15 2008, 2:48 pm; edited 3 times in total

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:49 pm
MeThinks wrote:
A woman is NOT mechuyev to daven at all. Nothing!

depends on who you ask!
I was told shema + personal tefila in any language

cassandra

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:54 pm
MeThinks wrote:

That is completely untrue according to most Halachic sources.

mamochka

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:54 pm
I believe Rambam said that women are obligated to daven. Some of the contremporary Rabbis say that a woman must daven shmona esrei at least once. But the buttom line is to ask your own posek.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:57 pm
cassandra wrote:
MeThinks wrote:

Please provide a source for this.

As far as I know, davening is a mitzvas asei shezman geromo and that's why she's not mechuyev. It's enough for a woman to say in any language: Oh, Hashem please help.

mamochka wrote:
I believe Rambam said that women are obligated to daven. Some of the contremporary Rabbis say that a woman must daven shmona esrei at least once. But the buttom line is to ask your own posek.

Never heard of this.

Last edited by Besiyata Dishmaya on Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:00 pm
cassandra and methinks, you are both right, depending on the woman's community!

cassandra

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:01 pm
MeThinks wrote:

As far as I know, davening it a mitzvas asei shezman geromo and that's why she's not mechuyev. It's enough for a woman to say in any language: Oh, Hashem please help.

You said women are obligated in nothing, now you concede that there is a minimum. Fine. The minimum according to anything I have ever seen is shevach, bakasha, and hodaah. So "Hashem, please help me" would be the bare minimum fulfillment of bakasha, and then you would need the other two which could probably be fulfilled with modeh ani and reishis chachma.

cassandra

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:01 pm
Ruchel wrote:
cassandra and methinks, you are both right, depending on the woman's community!

I have never heard that a women does not have to say ANYTHING.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:06 pm
I didn't say anything. I said, personal tefila in any language, is enough according to some. Some add shema Israel. Some apparently add more, but it's not very common to hear so I couldn't tell you more details...

cassandra

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:08 pm
I was disagreeing with the statement that women don't have to say anything, which apparently methinks doesn't believe either, even though that is what she originally said.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:10 pm
maybe she meant no formal prayer

cassandra

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:12 pm
Which I would have assume also had she not added the extra, emphatic "Nothing!" at the end of her statement.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:23 pm
cassandra wrote:
MeThinks wrote:
As far as I know, davening is a mitzvas asei shezman geromo and that's why she's not mechuyev. It's enough for a woman to say in any language: Oh, Hashem please help.

You said women are obligated in nothing, now you concede that there is a minimum. Fine. The minimum according to anything I have ever seen is shevach, bakasha, and hodaah. So "Hashem, please help me" would be the bare minimum fulfillment of bakasha, and then you would need the other two which could probably be fulfilled with modeh ani and reishis chachma.

And even this much is not required of a woman only if she "feels like" davening something. She has no minimum whatsoever.
Just like she has no obligation to put on tefillin, to eat in the succah, etc. because they're mitzvas asei shezman geromoh, she has no obligation to daven.

cassandra

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:32 pm
There is something called "Tefillah" which is general and then there is Tefilla that is done at a prescribed time in a prescribed way. Women are chayav in "Tefillah" but not in the prescriptions (according to some there are many rules that go along with this, eg, what can a woman say when, etc.) I have never heard that a women is not required to daven anything at all, which is why I think it is a meikil opinion. I understand what mitzvos aseh she ha zman grama are. (And btw, women are obligated in many mitzvos aseh she ha-zman grama anyway, so that in itself is not proof that women aren't obligated.)

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:38 pm
cassandra wrote:
There is something called "Tefillah" which is general and then there is Tefilla that is done at a prescribed time in a prescribed way. Women are chayav in "Tefillah" but not in the prescriptions (according to some there are many rules that go along with this, eg, what can a woman say when, etc.) I have never heard that a women is not required to daven anything at all, which is why I think it is a meikil opinion. I understand what mitzvos aseh she ha zman grama are. (And btw, women are obligated in many mitzvos aseh she ha-zman grama anyway, so that in itself is not proof that women aren't obligated.)

While men are mechuyev to daven and have a sin if they don't, there are plenty of women who don't daven and get no sin for that.

What kind of mitzvas asei shezman gerama is a woman obligated in?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:42 pm
cassandra wrote:
MeThinks wrote:

HA! She's chasidish! Were not chiyuv on ALOT of things, including davening!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:49 pm
what other things?

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:50 pm
well theres lots of different opinions depending on ashkenazi, sephardic, chassidish, lubab, etc

cassandra

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:52 pm
Yes, chasidim have different rules for women. Most halachic sources don't work like that though.

Quote:
What kind of mitzvas asei shezman gerama is a woman obligated in?

kiddush, ner chanuka, megillah, arba kosos, to name a few.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 3:08 pm
Women are chayav in about half of them.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics