Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Freelancers for dummies

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 3:23 pm
Hi! My dh works extremely hard, long hours. Needless to say I need to be home for my kids but need to bring in some money. Thinking of becoming a freelancer in the Graphics design world. How do I go about it? I did a course in Adobe, Indesign, and illustrator. I do have a knack for Design and photo editing. Need a step by step guidance. Really clueless how to go about this. Tia

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 3:26 pm
I would suggest taking some training in the design and business angle so you can learn how to design professionally and make money with your designs. The Bold Edge has a great program that does that.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 3:45 pm
I have a cousin doing this now. Problem is that he husband does “sales” for her. He’s a connected guy and he gets his friends to use her for their businesses. She’s doing well bh. She worked for someone who had a graphics business for a year or 2 before going off on her own

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 5:17 pm
I've been doing freelance graphic design for over a decade, and I very strongly discourage people to start a freelance business without first gaining design job experience elsewhere.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 5:39 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I've been doing freelance graphic design for over a decade, and I very strongly discourage people to start a freelance business without first gaining design job experience elsewhere.

If I don't start then I would never get the experience. You need to start somewhere.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 5:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I don't start then I would never get the experience. You need to start somewhere.

I’m also a freelancer with almost 15 years in, and what the previous poster means is that it’s not really enough to take a couple courses on The Bold Edge and then strike out on your own. There’s a lot of things that go into design and running your own business that only experience can teach you.

Take the courses, and then find an entry-level job part-time at an ad agency, print production studio, etc. You’ll learn the ropes and then will have the foundation to freelance.

There’s actually a ton of entry-level jobs out there - I know cause I’m currently half-heartedly looking 😂
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers