Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Wisdom teeth removal. All or 2 at a time
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:15 pm
Looking for advice. My daughter is having all her wisdom teeth removed. Dr says it's fine to have all 4 removed at once. I'm so nervous though that it will be too painful for her, a harder recovery and she won't be able to eat for a week.
Did anyone do all 4? Or does it make much more sense to do only two at a time?
Thank you.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:20 pm
I did all 4 at once, was not a pleasant experience but I think it was better than doing it twice. The bleeding was kind of yuck but I wasn't in a lot of pain. Regular Tylenol/Motrin were enough for me.
I had it done on a Friday so Friday night and Shabbos I was very limited in my food choices. Sunday I could eat ok as long as it was small pieces and by Monday I was eating pretty normally just avoiding hard things to eat like bagels.

mizle10

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:24 pm
Just do all.
Why would you want to recover twice? The pain isn’t bad, but the swelling and bruising and bleeding and not being able to eat properly is not fun. Why do that twice??

fleetwood

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:29 pm
Just went through this, older dd had only 2, younger 4. Do all 4!! After the experience you will never get them back in the dentist chair! We did it on a Friday so they had the weekend to recover. Good luck. Feel free to p.m. with any questions..we literally did this in February,both kids together.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:35 pm
All!! My oral surgeon said in his experience, people who only do the first 2 don't want to come back for the second 2. It's an extremely unpleasant experience so as long as they're in the chair, best to finish the job and get it all over with. I got all 4 of mine out a few years ago and would never sit down for that again if I could help it.

srbmom

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:38 pm
100% do all 4!!!
I had all 4 removed (they were all impacted) when I was 16. It was painful for a few days and then I never had to think about it again.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:39 pm
I got one taken out and for many years I was upset I didn’t get them all out at once. Bh never needed to take out any others yet and I’m in my high 20s.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:42 pm
I'm surprised everyone is voting all 4. Depending on how deep they're inside or if they're impacted it can be quite a long procedure and painful.
I did one, I'd say at most 2.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:44 pm
I did all 4. They were badly impacted. I was an adult, married with 3 kids. I made this decision purely for financial reasons, I got a break for doing them all at once.

The recovery wasn't fun. I was so happy that I didn't have to go through it again. (I got paid meds, which made me crazy. Took a while to realize)

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:54 pm
Of course all. Get it over with, one and done.

Leahh

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:54 pm
As everyone else said, do all 4 at once.
I did it when I was in high school. Drank liquids & very soft foods for a few days and then was OK. So much easier to be over and done with.
I don't think recovery is any easier with just 2. Eventhough it's the same side of the mouth, chewing effects the whole mouth so if you do 2 at a time she has to go through the whole recovery twice.
Just get it over with.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:33 pm
I did 2 at once oral surgeon didn’t let me do all 4 - to milk the insurance. I wish I did all 4. They were all impacted. 2 at a time took 5-10 min total. plus the younger you are the easier it is. I went back to do last 2 and bec I was pregnant they said only 1 my dentist was so upset at them. I was in agony for one week cuz got dry socket and cldnt be on anything stronger than Tylenol. Do it all now....

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:34 pm
I guess I’m the odd one that had 2 at a time and would recommend doing just 2. Mine were a real surgery, teeth were totally under the gums. They had to cut my lower tooth into 4 pieces and extract each piece separately. Doing just 2 at a time made me be able to eat on one side of the mouth.

justtrying90

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:46 pm
Get it all done with in one shot

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:54 pm
I had mine done with twilight sedation. To me it felt like 5 seconds later I woke up, and all 4 teeth were out. I don't remember a thing, and I healed up pretty quickly.

I've had a tooth pulled while I was awake, and while it didn't hurt, the tugging and pulling was really creepy and uncomfortable. If I were to have major work done, I plan on sleeping through it, thankyouverymuch. Oh go on Sleep

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:02 pm
I had 2 and 2 and it took me 5 years to be brave enough to get back in that dentist chair! Do it all at once. Yes it's annoying and painful but one time is bad enough.
Smear arnica cream on her face from cheekbones to neck liberally every day from a few days before. It helped me so much, I had zero bruising zero swelling.
Ice packs for pain like bags of frozen vegetables.
I didn't need any painkillers or meds. Just those things.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:06 pm
Wish I’d done all four at once. Both my children had all four at once. Way less time recovery overall

Smile1234

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:45 pm
justtrying90 wrote:
Get it all done with in one shot

This made me laugh because (I know what you meant by in one shot but) they give about a zillion shots of Novocain LOL

I was numb up to my eyes. Oh it was awful. The worst part for me was the numbness. During and after, til it wore off. After that I don’t recall anything being painful or anything. (I only did two because the other two aren’t giving me any trouble.)

lucky14

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:54 pm
All at once!

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:04 pm
I did 2 at a time, grateful that I didn’t do all at once. It’s a trauma for the mouth, I’d rather do it gently.

My first 2 I had a really really bad experience, although it was fully payed for by Medicaid insurance. I had a long wait and felt like a factory- one person after the next. Doctor was so rude, I was in pain, made nasty comment about how I was reacting. And rattled off after care instructions fast by heart, I could barely process it. I had a really hard recovery afterwards.

When my next two started acting up, I did a lot of research among friends to find the right person who would be gentle and kind and would give me a better experience.

Bh a friend recommended Dr. Lauri Cohen in Five towns, who was so gentle, kind, and sweet. # 516-371-6270

The level of care was so AMAZING. From the Vaseline on my lips & pre-numbing gel to make sure the shot wouldn’t hurt, to explaining each part of the process before doing it, constantly checking in if I was ok throughout the procedure, and finally the frozen ice packs wrapped in a band around me the minute the procedure was done with spare frozen packs for the car ride home (!!) so that I can heal properly... I felt so cared for BH!!

(I didn’t have the insurance she accepts- Cigna ppp and delta ppo- but for me I felt that she was worth every penny:) especially after my previous experience.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics