Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Average price range for wood kitchen cabinets, 30 running ft

Whats the average price range for good wood kitchen cabinets, about 30 running feet, of kitchen (thats appliances as well).
Less than $15,000  
 55%  [ 5 ]
$15,000- $25,000  
 22%  [ 2 ]
$25,000- $35,000  
 11%  [ 1 ]
$35,000+  
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:15 pm
Whats the average price range for good wood kitchen cabinets (cabinets only), for about 30 running feet of kitchen (that's appliances as well)?

Which Brooklyn kitchen places are reliable, easy to work with, and give you the best bang for your buck?

A Brooklyn dealer, with a very good reputation, told me I can get "Toyota quality" kitchen cabinets for $25,000 (cabinets only), and that turned me off. That means a $50,000 Kitchen (because counter, backsplash, appliances, floor tiles, etc will cost in total about the price of the cabinets, and it will be average, nothing spesh. Is this accurate?

tweety1

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:38 pm
Oh sorry I missed appliances as well. Total cost of a kitchen this size is aprox 50k give or take.

Optione

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:01 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Oh sorry I missed appliances as well. Total cost of a kitchen this size is aprox 50k give or take.

I don't think she meant cost of appliances. I read it as 30 running feet of cabinets minus the space used up for appliances. I may be wrong though...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:39 pm
I meant that I have 30 running feet of kitchen, but probably half of that is appliances, so its not all cabinets.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:43 am
bump

Does $50,000 ($25,000 for cabinets and about another $25,000 for everything else) get people an "average" kitchen, (thats about 30 running feet size, so its not even a big Kitchen) in Brooklyn?

Which Brooklyn kitchen places are reliable, easy to work with, and give you the best bang for your buck?

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:19 pm
I finished a gut kitchen remodel relatively recently.

First you are using the wrong measurement in terms of determining price of cabinets. The cost of cabinets is not really determined by linear feet - that is a measure that is used by bait and switch type of cabinets companies. The real cost of cabinets is determined by the type of cabinets and the kind of features you have in those cabinets.

Obviously the style of door and the type of wood used is also a factor.

However, if you are planning to remodel your kitchen I would suggest you slow down and plan and don't put yourself in the hands of a cabinet store - however well recommended. Take some time to research what kind of features you want in your kitchen - how you function in your kitchen. Also learn a bit about what makes a difference in the quality of a cabinet - I.e. how it is constructed because you can have two cabinets that look identical but one is better constructed with better materials.

There are certain features that are more expensive but very functional. Deep drawers are more expensive than regular lower cabinets but well worth it - for example. Frameless cabinets provide more interior storage if that is a factor.

You might be better off working with an independent kitchen designer who will work with you versus going to a cabinet store where the person may or may not be a talented designer. Keep in mind that a cabinet store is selling cabinets and so works with limited brands.

When I was researching cabinets I visited many stores so that I had a sense of the different manufacturers available. Then I could research each brand. I wound up with using a local company that did custom cabinets because the cost of the custom was about the same as what I would have paid for semi-custom cabinets and I was able to get exactly what I wanted versus compromising.

You should also take some time to browse the internet to look at kitchen pictures and save those which appeal to you aesthetically. You will also find functional stuff in the kitchens that you might not have thought was possible. For example in my kitchen I have the following functional stuff which I never would have thought possible if I hadn't taken some time to research

Toe Kick Steps - e.g. in lieu of a "fixed" toe kick mine have elevations which come out and in and so I can reach the top shelf

A little side opening cabinet so I can slide my Cuisinart and KA mixer directly onto the counter so I don't have to shlep

An oven which has a door which opens to the side so that I can stand directly in front of the oven instead of accessing from the side instead of the bottom - in other words the door isn't an obstacle between me and what is in there. Makes it so much easier to put in and take out heavy dishes as well as do stuff like baste or otherwise check on food in the oven.

A sink with a drain that is to the rear and left side so that the drain doesn't sit in the middle - this lets me have both a garbage disposal and a slide in trash container under the sink. It also lets me stack dishes without blocking the drain.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would suggest you use the Houzz forums as the people are helpful and knowledgeable. For $50,000 you should be able to get better than a Camry kitchen if you do some work. Obviously some costs are more important than others because they aren't easily changed down the road - e.g. cabinets. You can spend a lot or a little on finishes like backsplashes and even counters - there is more expensive granite, marble or quartz depending on budget - another example.

Appliances can be super expensive if you are purchasing brands like Thermador or moderately expensive with brands like Bosch, Miele or Kitchenaid. If possible don't buy all the same brand appliances because one brand might have a better dishwasher and another a better refrigerator.

But everything does add up - generally there is electrical work; fixtures like faucets are surprisingly expensive especially if you want a stylish one in a finish that isn't chrome. Good sinks can be expensive. Even all the knobs and pulls for the cabinets add up.

And good labor is expensive - installation of a kitchen is a job for skilled reliable workers. You should get several bids and ask to see examples of installed work.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Apr 13 2021, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:14 pm
Amarante wrote:
Toe Kick Steps - e.g. in lieu of a "fixed" toe kick mine have elevations which come out and in and so I can reach the top shelf

A little side opening cabinet so I can slide my Cuisinart and KA mixer directly onto the counter so I don't have to shlep

I loved all your advice, but these two are especially useful. Thanks.

How does the toe kick work? You have a step that pulls out, all around the kitchen?

Any other amazing tips out there?

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:38 pm
I didn't read the posts. Just want to say that cabinets are 60% cost of a kitchen. The other 40% is appliances, plumbing, faucets, counters etc

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I loved all your advice, but these two are especially useful. Thanks.

How does the toe kick work? You have a step that pulls out, all around the kitchen?

Any other amazing tips out there?

I researched A LONG time before I did my kitchen. I had needed a remodel desperately but the time wasn't right - and then everything was aligned. I was really grateful that I had the time and ability to make it as good as possible and I was lucky that I had a great GC and a great designer to help.

If you have any questions regarding cabinets or anything else, ask away because I am still somewhat obsessive on the subject. Very Happy

In terms of toe kick "step stool". As you probably know toe kicks are those things which are below the actual cabinets which allow you to stand more comfortably close to the cabinets. Cabinets don't actually run to the floor. They are also decorative as cabinets to the floor would look strange.

I had read that some people used that space for toe kick drawers. They weren't that high but were functional for storing thinnish items especially for people with small kitchens who didn't have a lot of storage. So I thought maybe I could use the idea and just turn it upside down so you essentially stand on the bottom of the "drawer". They work by gently noodjing (tapping them with your toes) them and they slide out and then you tap them and they recede. I have them in all the cabinets which have upper cabinets above. They are really useful to reach items on the upper shelf so I don't have to drag out the step stool.

I am attaching a picture of my "garage" for my KA Mixer and Cuisinart. I can slide them out to the side through the side door. The counter runs through that cabinet - actually it runs through to create a surface for the "hutch" I created there. The proportions seem wrong in the photo but the side door is high enough to slide the KA mixer and the Cuisinart without the top thing out. The doors are miniatures of my regular cabinet door because there wasn't enough head space for a tambour type of door.

My doors are a combination of full overlay and inset. I used inset doors because they look more like furniture but used full overlay drawers because you have less interior space with inset doors.

As you can see my cabinets are frameless construction which gives more interior space.

I also had fun with the interiors as they are a teal blue instead of the standard white melamine or wood tone. I have some upper cabinets with glass doors and those are wood interiors. Also in terms of functionality I used matching formica for the interior of the sink cabinet as well as the shelves because it is easier to keep formica clean by wiping it down. The rest of the interior is painted teal blue to match.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:37 pm
Amarante wrote:
I had read that some people used that space for toe kick drawers. They weren't that high but were functional for storing thinnish items especially for people with small kitchens who didn't have a lot of storage. So I thought maybe I could use the idea and just turn it upside down so you essentially stand on the bottom of the "drawer". They work by gently noodjing (tapping them with your toes) them and they slide out and then you tap them and they recede. I have them in all the cabinets which have upper cabinets above. They are really useful to reach items on the upper shelf so I don't have to drag out the step stool.

Thanks a mil for all this explaining!

Im on the tall side, so would the extra less than 6" (toe kick area probably is less than 6" high) really help me reach a cabinet thats near the ceiling? Im hoping to do cabinets almost until the ceiling.

As far as the Mixer cabinet, I think you still have to lift the mixer out of the cabinet, and place it on the counter every time you want to use it, so the cabinet's main function is hiding the mixer when not in use, is that correct?

Thanks a mil again.

Others, please add other "useful extras that you feel help you every day, when in your kitchen.
tia

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks a mil for all this explaining!

Im on the tall side, so would the extra less than 6" (toe kick area probably is less than 6" high) really help me reach a cabinet thats near the ceiling? Im hoping to do cabinets almost until the ceiling.

As far as the Mixer cabinet, I think you still have to lift the mixer out of the cabinet, and place it on the counter every time you want to use it, so the cabinet's main function is hiding the mixer when not in use, is that correct?

Thanks a mil again.

Others, please add other "useful extras that you feel help you every day, when in your kitchen.
tia

If you are tall and can access top shelf of standard height cabinets, they wouldn’t be useful to you. Cabinets to the ceiling are useful for storing stuff you didn’t need often as they are probably too tall for all but extremely tall people. They are useful and also can be decorative if you have glass fronts.

I was trying to indicate that if you take time to explore possibilities you can come up with stuff that makes it functional for you specifically. My kitchen is too small but some people have a section for baking where a portion of the counter is a bit lower because that makes it the perfect height for stuff done for baking like rolling and kneading.

The mixer and Cuisinart slide out the side panel so there is no lifting or shlepping. And when not in use, they are out of sight and nit gathering dust. If you look at the photo I posted, there is an outlet located inside which also makes it easy to use.

There are also lower cabinets which hold a mixer and lift up when you want to use it. These have gotten mixed reviews and also take up a at least 18” of space and are expensive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries