Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Help! Buffet for 150!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:10 pm
DVOM wrote:
As am I! Will do!

It's going to be interesting to see if we can pull it off. I don't want the balance to tip from fun to panic and chaos, which is how I felt yesterday morning. My main goal is not to lose the joy and pleasure and family-project feeling; if I feel myself getting frustrated and annoyed and snappy, it will be time to start ordering more food and staff. But I think we're going to make it!

I love your positive attitude Smile

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:11 pm
DVOM wrote:
Getting back to the menu, my biggest concern:

Here is what we've settled on:

chips and crudites and dips on the tables.

2 soups, many types of bread (my brother is an expert baker and will be making me sourdough loaves. A neighbor is making garlic bread. I will buy bagels, breadsticks, and rolls), spreads such as cream cheese, butter, cheese, tuna, avocado, and a salad bar (friends are chopping veggies for me and I got lots of suggestions for salad add-ins that need no prep at all.)

Salmon, roasted veggies, potatoes, all parve. Penne vodka, mac and cheese. Mini pizzas. Pancakes.

Dessert will be the three hot dishes, whatever other baked goods me and my boys end up making, and the ice cream truck.

Suggestions?

That sounds great! It sounds like you have an awesome team of family and friends BH! It should be with much Simcha and Mazel.

keym

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:24 pm
Just some stuff to remember.
Speakers so everyone can hear what's happening.
If you're going to be asking people to speak (Rebbi, principal, shul Rabbi, Zaidy) give them a time limit. Also borrow a shtender.

If there's going to be music for dancing, set aside a women's section.

DVOM

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:29 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
DVOM, I am going to say this a nicely as I can. Andrea levy is 100% right in her posts.
I went to a professional cooking school plus 3 yrs of experience in function hall.
150 people for buffet dinner is this including or excluding children and babies?
Do you have space for all guests? Keep in mind guests pull out chairs and not always put them back while going to get food.
Strollers and buggies take up space.
Where to store food before heating? In your neighbours fridge? Where to cool all the beverages in advance? Can you seriously imagine yourself running with a dish and heating it up on your neighbours oven? You got a key to her house? You know how her oven works?
What is your size of your kitchen? Are you doing only disposables or also real china?
Children and babies will need a space for changing diapers and a place for nursing, did you think of that?
You mention you will get help from a man if there is a blocked toilet, am I understanding this right? Please tell me I have got it wrong, PLEASE.I can't imagine asking Dh or any other man to deal with a clogged toilet in the middle of a simcha, that is frankly not reasonable IMO. Who wants to deal with this in nice clothes?
I am SURE your guests are very polite and friendly *TO YOU*. Speak to experienced waiters and your will draw your conclusions. People expect less of you but much more of waiters and they have no problem to tell the waiters what they think of them.

Are you SURE all of the friends promising to cook and prepare will be doing it 100 %? what if one or two or three won't be doing it and canceling on you. What about the cleaning up and returning tables and chairs?
I have lots of experience with logistics. IMHO you need to rethink. First the basics and then the beautiful decorations. Nobody will remember decorations if the logistics was bad.
I am truly sorry for you but but andrea levy is right.

I can assure you that my husband will not mind manning the plunger if need be (just texted him, because I got curious. I asked: "What will we do if the toilets get plugged up during the bar mitzvah??" His answer: "I'll plunge it." My response: "IN YOUR NEW SUIT????" His answer: "Yup. Leave the toilets to me, girl." Do I know my man well, or what?). But our plumbing is in good working order, and we do not generally have toilet malfunctions. I'm hopeful that the toilets will continue to function well during the party.

I find your assumption that my family and friends will mistreat the wait staff very very sad. I believe your drawing on your own experiences, which makes me even sadder.

I am drawing on my experiences with my family and friends. In the many social situations I've been in, I have not seen my friends and family act in the way you're describing to anyone-- not wait staff, nurses, mailmen, garbage collectors, store clerks, gas pumpers, cleaning help. I don't know if I could stay friends with people who were comfortable telling other people 'what they think of them,' as you say. I'm very confident that my guests will behave in a kind, polite, and considerate way, even if they need a water pitcher refilled, or a new napkin, or a refill at the buffet table.

DVOM

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:33 pm
keym wrote:
Just some stuff to remember.
Speakers so everyone can hear what's happening.
If you're going to be asking people to speak (Rebbi, principal, shul Rabbi, Zaidy) give them a time limit. Also borrow a shtender.

If there's going to be music for dancing, set aside a women's section.

Thanks KEYM!

Speakers are being brought and set up by the DJ.

We're having very few speeches. My son, my dad, both introduced by my husband (he's begging me to MC, as public speaking and being the center of attention is not his thing, but we don't want to get blacklisted here in Lakewood!). That's it! Both will be under five minutes.

I'd love a woman's dancing section! Not sure how to go about setting that up. The seating will be mixedish, with some tables designated for men, for women, for the kids, but most being family seating, so there wont really be a 'woman's side' with a clear mechitzah. Is there a mechitza gamach here in Lakewood? Perhaps I could corner off a section with potted plants?

Last edited by DVOM on Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

keym

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:33 pm
Also, with such an awesome dessert options, maybe have containers available.
My son would be very unpleased if his carpool came to pick him up and made him miss out on all your desserts.

DVOM

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:36 pm
keym wrote:
Also, with such an awesome dessert options, maybe have containers available.
My son would be very unpleased if his carpool came to pick him up and made him miss out on all your desserts.

Another really great suggestion... will do!

DREAMING

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:37 pm
For extra fridge space for drinks - You can have coolers (I’ve seen garbage cans too) filled with ice and drinks

DVOM

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:41 pm
DREAMING wrote:
For extra fridge space for drinks - You can have coolers (I’ve seen garbage cans too) filled with ice and drinks

That is a really great idea, thanks!

Our plan is to have all the drinks in big galvanized tin buckets (fits with our rustic, outdoor look) full of ice. We brought hundreds of little cans of all types of drinks and will have on the tables lemonade and iced coffee and water in pitchers.

DREAMING

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:44 pm
DVOM wrote:
That is a really great idea, thanks!

Our plan is to have all the drinks in big galvanized tin buckets (fits with our rustic, outdoor look) full of ice. We brought hundreds of little cans of all types of drinks and will have on the tables lemonade and iced coffee and water in pitchers.

Same idea. I’m sure it will be awesome!!

My mom made at home outdoor simchos too in season. Nothing like it!!

avrahamama

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:54 pm
DVOM wrote:
I can assure you that my husband will not mind manning the plunger if need be (just texted him, because I got curious. I asked: "What will we do if the toilets get plugged up during the bar mitzvah??" His answer: "I'll plunge it." My response: "IN YOUR NEW SUIT????" His answer: "Yup. Leave the toilets to me, girl." Do I know my man well, or what?). But our plumbing is in good working order, and we do not generally have toilet malfunctions. I'm hopeful that the toilets will continue to function well during the party.

I find your assumption that my family and friends will mistreat the wait staff very very sad. I believe your drawing on your own experiences, which makes me even sadder.

I am drawing on my experiences with my family and friends. In the many social situations I've been in, I have not seen my friends and family act in the way you're describing to anyone-- not wait staff, nurses, mailmen, garbage collectors, store clerks, gas pumpers, cleaning help. I don't know if I could stay friends with people who were comfortable telling other people 'what they think of them,' as you say. I'm very confident that my guests will behave in a kind, polite, and considerate way, even if they need a water pitcher refilled, or a new napkin, or a refill at the buffet table.

Anyway just don't leave any tissues or toilet paper for people that use in the bathrooms and you'll be fine! 😜

sky

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:56 pm
Sounds wonderful.
I think seating for 140 when inviting 150 is fine. Especially bec in Lakewood ppl come and go constantly. You could rent a few extra chairs off on the side just in case.

I know renting tables and chairs is probably an expense you didn’t want. But on the positive side you don’t have to shlep and return and clean them. It’s a huge headache off your head.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:58 pm
DVOM wrote:
Yup, about half will be kids: the Bar mitzvah boys friends (who honestly really eat like adults in terms of quantity, if not more), and lots of nieces and nephews and family friends.

Do I understand this correctly that you sent out invitations for 150, is that correct?
How many dessert guests INCLUDING kids were sent out? How many responses so far?

keym

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:06 pm
Have some sort of label system for the soups, pastas, ice creams, etc. So people with dairy or nut allergies can be aware.

DVOM

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:07 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Do I understand this correctly that you sent out invitations for 150, is that correct?
How many dessert guests INCLUDING kids were sent out? How many responses so far?

We don't have an exact count for dessert guests. We didn't even put an RSVP for those invitations; this is standard, according to the research we did when making our plans. It's not really a sit-down sort of thing, people come, stay a few minutes, eat something, say mazal tov, and leave. Kind of like a vort.

We are anticipating 150 dinner guests, I'd say half adults, half children. Of the children, half are little kids, half bigger, pre-teen and teenage kids. I imagine some of those guests will also come and go, not stay the whole time, not come at the very start and stay till the very end.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:25 pm
keym wrote:
Have some sort of label system for the soups, pastas, ice creams, etc. So people with dairy or nut allergies can be aware.

These are so cute and really helpful to both label the dish and mark if it's parve or dairy (or contains nuts, etc. if ppl have allergies): https://www.amazon.com/Chalkbo.....1_i_p

Mazel Tov on your simcha OP - sounds beautiful!

DVOM

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:28 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
These are so cute and really helpful to both label the dish and mark if it's parve or dairy (or contains nuts, etc. if ppl have allergies): https://www.amazon.com/Chalkbo.....1_i_p

Mazel Tov on your simcha OP - sounds beautiful!

Thank you!!!

My boys will be making food label signs with our Cricut. One of my son's friends is very allergic to peanuts, so they are very conscious of food allergies.

someone

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:29 pm
OP, it all sounds amazing! And just from your posts it sounds like there will be wonderful laid back and fun atmosphere. Good luck with all the preparations!

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:49 pm
You sure you don’t want to call a pizza shop and see how much they would charge for cater and set up the food??
It’s really a big undertaking when your the mother of the bar mitzvah boy...
It’s anyway gonna cost you a decent amount.
Can I ask what happens if it rains???
Hatzlocha with all your preparations!!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:52 pm
Go DVOM! You've got this. Cheers
Page 6 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days