Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Just buffet in dining room? Where do you keep your silver?

Growing

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:30 am
I see this is a new trend and I'm curious

scruffy

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:32 am
Growing wrote:
I see this is a new trend and I'm curious

Are you saying as opposed to a breakfront?

I just have a seforim shrank actually and keep the candlesticks/ becher with my Shabbos china.

The menorah is in storage the rest of the year

L25

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:37 am
op I'm curious as well.
where do you keep your shabbos china? we keep that in our dining room

scruffy

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:39 am
L25 wrote:
op I'm curious as well.
where do you keep your shabbos china? we keep that in our dining room

It's in my kitchen. I don't have space elsewhere

If I had space in the cabinets in my seforim shrank, I would use that.

Regardless, I don't think I would ever get a breakfront. I think it looks a bit gaudy to display silver and other expensive pieces.

L25

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:50 am
I guess it depends on where you have space.
in the part that is see through we have our glasses, challah board.... our china plates are behind doors. I don't think in our case it looks gaudy. but I hear you.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:58 am
There does seem to be a trend to cabinetry in the dining room. Over the years I have designed many, but there have been 4 in the last 6 months, which is unusually high. 2 of them did not previously have cabinets there. 3 of them are wall-to-wall cabinets, and at least one will include a sink for washing. They do not all have glass display cabinets.

As far as the best place to store Shabbos silverware and dishes, the best place is close to where you will first use it. For Shabbos silverware, most of us set the table with it. That is the dining room.

GrowingUp

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:59 am
We have only a buffet in our dining room. We don’t have much silver, but whatever I do have is inside the buffet. We don’t display it.

The only thing displayed is the menorah, and that’s in the living room with the seforim.

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 12:28 pm
When I remodeled I had the cabinetry extended into the dining room. It is "styled" like a buffet but looks similar to the kitchen cabinets.

Uppers have glass cabinets and the middle lower section has drawers which I use for storing flatware - silver and stainless as well as dishes.

Mine set up is a bit unique as I have a small kitchen - I have tall cabinets on either end and one is used as a "utility closet" and the other has the counter running through it with a side door. I keep my Cuisnart and KA Mixer and so I can slide them onto the counter when I need them instead of shlepping somewhere or keeping on the counter.

This works for me since my doors are a really nice design and are made from rift sawn white oak so it looks like dining room furniture. The doors are even inset like most regular furniture.

care4u

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 1:00 pm
My shabbos China and silverware are in the cabinet right near my entrance to DR in kitchen. I like it there bec I serve on plate most courses...& if not on the serving dishes.

Menorah is in seforim shrank breakfront.

I hv glass door cabinets in butler bet kitchen & DR where I keep my small silver & other shabbos things I like displaying like glassware.

My leichter stays out all week in a special leichter shelf in DR.

peace2

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 1:05 pm
Everything is inside the cabinets. Growing up my parents had a glass breakfront and it was annoying to make sure everything was displayed properly and looked nice. I just stack everything inside and don't worry about it. Leichter is on top of the buffet. It's lacquered so I don't worry about them getting tarnished from being out all week
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars