Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Help! Buffet for 150!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 8:35 pm
DVOM wrote:
Good luck on your paper, and thanks for taking the time to write!

Buy this calculation, you'd be advising about 20- 25 staff members. To me that sounds excessive (kind of a Downton Abbey level of service) but what do I know?

When I hosted a Shabbos sheva brachos in a tent in my yard for about 45 people for 3 sit down meals and a breakfast buffet I had one waiter helping out, and that was plenty. I have lots of neighbors and friends and family helping with the cooking and setting up. Three waiters sounded enough to me; it's what the owner of the wait staff company recommended based on the number of people we have coming and the way I'm planning on serving the food.

Mamas, what do y'all think? More wait staff?

Divide the number of guests by 8 or ten depending on the size of your tables. I was really taking about tables of ten, so if we mid- communicated about tables, then sorry.

In a banquet hall with proper service, there is generally one waiter per table of ten usually working in pairs. This number can go down for a buffet because just clearing BUT you also have to attend yo the buffet itself. You are not in ideal circumstances and presumably you want to enjoy the event. ALSO the large number of ppl means waiters will be slower and less able to respond. Everyone has special requests and treats waiters like they are the most important guests and they need what they need, NOW. The tables farthest away from the kitchen will get no service at all.

Again, controlled circumstances, the caterer knows what to do. Your own house? What if the toilet overflowed? What if? What if?

When you pay a caterer, they , if they are good, never let you know what’s going on. 150-200 guests at home in a house with four staff? Recipe for disaster.

DREAMING

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:46 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Three staff members for 150 ppl? I’d have more than that in my kitchen! I think in these circumstances you need one staff per table outside and the number inside will depend on your menu. You need buffet staff, wait staff and by the way my experience with frum people in this context ( my Niagara Falls restaurant) is MESSY. Have you thought about bathroom access?

I’m no longer a caterer but in these circumstances I would pare your menu down to whatever you put on the tables, one type of soup, one type of carby pasta/pizza salmon, and vegetables. Have lots of bread and butter or olive oil. Cold prepared salatim. Don’t forget about drinks, glasses, cutlery and the Fact that your guests will not reuse their plates and youll Have to clear every time someone gets up. Every. Time. I’m not exaggerating how much staff. PLUS the weird land will make it harder for staff AND what are they going to do, shlep garbage bags around?

I think all your oven/stove space will go to the things that need to be heated and that takes time, do limit hot food. Salmon can be served cold. So can toasted veg. I like the salad bar because cold and easy to refill but it’s a lot of work and you need one staff just to man that

I think your dedication is lovely but you are asking for disaster. End of free advice because I have a paper to write. Not on catering.

I think 3-4 staff is enough if they are there to set up, replenish buffets, clean up and are not doing actual serving. Likely The buffet here is meant to be self service.
From a caterer point of view it’s not enough. For a home party it likely is.

Dvom I agree to simplify the menu. At our huge extended family get together we did bagels and spread on the tables and buffet stations for hot foods and salad.
Dessert tables are unveiled later on or the kids cleaned it before dessert time

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:49 pm
Someone brought up an important concern, bathroom access for 150 people is something to keep in mind. Especially if a lot of the guests are kids.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:18 am
3-4 staff is fine. She can enlist a sister or two to help out and throw excess plates out.

I'm assuming op has a bathroom available. People can wait if needed.

familyfirst

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:30 am
Didn’t read all the responses.

Way way way too much food!
One soup,
I’d make a few salads instead of a salad bar
Way too much chopping with salad bar,
2 proteins (fish and fish)
2 sides (lasagna and pizza bagels- or mashed potatoes and rice. Whatever goes with fish
Maybe green beans or grilled veggies
Dessert bar (3 cakes in sternos and done)- maybe some candy

Set the identicle spread up in two locations

Trying too hard to please son. He picks a few things most important and rest is on you

Set up tables around yard, center can be bread basket, chips and dips

Much much easier this way

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:49 am
If you do a salad bar, keep the chopping non existent or at least very limited. There are so many no chop options to choose from.
Bagged lettuce. Whole grape tomatoes. Ready bagged shredded red cabbage. Ready shredded carrots.
Then drained cans of chickpeas, cans of sliced hearts of palm, canned cut baby corn, mandarin orange segments.
Drained jars of olives, jars of ready sliced pickles, pickled eggplant.
Croutons, silvered almonds, craisins.

DVOM

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 5:10 am
andrea levy wrote:
You’re awfully casual about this. I’m happy to give feedback. I have a lot of experience in weird circumstances ( wedding in a barn in a park once, wedding in a non kosher restaurant where I had to kosher everything and rent everything from a kosher provider, wedding in a winery... lots of back yard events.) I could go on... the paper is calling...

If you think three is enough then ok, but who is in the kitchen? Who is replenishing buffet? Who is clearing mess? Do you even have that much fridge space? Oven space? Stove top? This is not a well equipped catering hall. Staff going In/out of house? FRUM GUESTS? (Messy and largely inconsiderate) you have to have it all planned out and someone You trust to execute.

There is a HUGE difference between 45 and 200(if I understood your original post correctly. There is a huge difference between a professional working their hardest and you being in charge while attending and enjoying your own Simcha. Three staff and who is in CHARGE? Who does what when things go wrong? ( and they WILL)

Yes, we all know how to do twenty but I’ll tell you now that I had events in my learning curve where I had too much and too little. Crises that thank goodness someone ran to the store, and all of this MOST of the time with appropriate staffing. I did an event in a winery with 25 guests and we were drastically understaffed with three in the kitchen and three Wait staff because of the set up. In my shul? That would have been downton level service. Thank goodness the florist stayed to shlep and so did I.

Plus if I understood correctly, dishes? Weird table set ups? I can’t actually imagine how you do this will less than at least 15 staff in these circumstances. Have I done events with less? Yes. Is it ideal? Possible to enjoy? No!

That winery time I had to hire a fridge and an oven that was large enough ( that had to do with kashrut and lack of facilities) and in a home situation you’d likely need them to be in the street or front yard. Hygiene facilities? Hand washing stations? The lust is endless. Think about hiring a caterer and being done with it. I can’t see how this ends well ( and I did two of my own Simchas WITH infrastructure and trusted staff.)

Good morning!

Did I sound casual? I was aiming for polite. I can assure you that I take my hostessing duties very seriously, that we very much strive for any guest visiting our home to come away feeling valued and cared for.

I am sure that hosting a party of this size at home and choosing to forgo a caterer or party planner will come with many challenges that I am not anticipating, which is why I really appreciate your taking the time to respond to my posts, but please don't insult my guests. These FRUM and non frum guests are not particularly messy (though I am expecting a large mess, commiserate with the large crowd!) and are certainly not inconsiderate. These people are my family and friends and neighbors. They are wonderfully helpful, kind, and thoughtful. They are not spoiled babies who will harass me or the staff I've hired. They will not demand service, now! I am not counting on their help (they are my guests, after all!) but if past experiences are anything to go by, I believe they will be helpful and gracious.

That having been said:

We have three available bathrooms in our home. There will be signs pointing them out for those who don't know where they are, but as I mentioned, most of our guests have been in our home frequently, and will know where to find them. I will be stocking them with towels and toiletries. I imagine that if they stuff up, my husband, father or many brothers/brothers in law will man the plunger.

We are setting up a washing station outside to minimize foot traffic in the house.

The staff is there to help us set the tables and buffet, replenish it as needed from prepared, already set up and warmed up trays in our kitchen, and clear up after guests. There will be no on the spot cooking. The buffet will be self service.

My husband and I will be in charge, and will be working alongside our staff members. We like hosting parties. This is what you do (did?) for work; this is what we do for fun. We enjoy the hard work and creativity that goes into it. I love designing and setting up a beautiful table. I love cooking and baking and arranging flowers and centerpieces. My husband, kids assorted neighbors and I will be hanging hundreds of fairy lights and lanterns and yards and yards of sparkly blue fringe bunting and pom pom garlands, and will enjoy every minute of it. I love the energy and busyness of party day. It will perhaps not be as formal, fancy, smooth, sophisticated or hiccup-free as a perfessionally catered event, but we're ok with that. I can see it not just ending well, but ending fabulously!

DVOM

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 5:16 am
ra_mom wrote:
If you do a salad bar, keep the chopping non existent or at least very limited. There are so many no chop options to choose from.
Bagged lettuce. Whole grape tomatoes. Ready bagged shredded red cabbage. Ready shredded carrots.
Then drained cans of chickpeas, cans of sliced hearts of palm, canned cut baby corn, mandarin orange segments.
Drained jars of olives, jars of ready sliced pickles, pickled eggplant.
Croutons, silvered almonds, craisins.

Such great suggestions, thank you!

I will not be doing any chopping. I have wonderful friends who have volunteered to be vegetable preppers.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 5:23 am
Dvom, we did a very similar menu for my daughters bas mitzva, with similar numbers. I did mac and cheese (one tray was gluten free - keep that in mind if needed) I think lasagna, quiches, salmon, a few different salads, can't remember what else. I did a cheese table with loads of different exotic cheeses and crackers. It was really fun and very little prep for that. Bagels, rolls and tuna and stuff as well.

The lasagna, quiche and mac and cheese can be be made weeks in advance and frozen.

Love the idea of an ice cream truck.

If you pm me I can send you pics of our set up. It was very fun. We did themed "shops". An Italian restuarant, a french cheese shop, a shtetl style bagel shop, candy shop, etc.

DVOM

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 5:28 am
Raisin wrote:
Dvom, we did a very similar menu for my daughters bas mitzva, with similar numbers. I did mac and cheese (one tray was gluten free - keep that in mind if needed) I think lasagna, quiches, salmon, a few different salads, can't remember what else. I did a cheese table with loads of different exotic cheeses and crackers. It was really fun and very little prep for that. Bagels, rolls and tuna and stuff as well.

The lasagna, quiche and mac and cheese can be be made weeks in advance and frozen.

Love the idea of an ice cream truck.

If you pm me I can send you pics of our set up. It was very fun. We did themed "shops". An Italian restuarant, a french cheese shop, a shtetl style bagel shop, candy shop, etc.

How adorable!

I would love to see pics! PM ing!

spikta

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 6:22 am
Make sure there are a lot of garbage cans spread out. Especially if people are seated all over the property and especially if they're coming and going, you want it to be easy for people to get rid of their plates. Otherwise, used plates stay on the tables after guests leave, and newcomers won't have room on the tables.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 6:55 am
I really think 4 wait staff is plenty, this is a buffet event, the wait staff aren't even going near the tables until it's time for clean up.
Buy twice as many garbage bags as you think you need, same with all paper goods.
If there's going to be a lot of maneuvering for people to get to their seats then I'd skip the soup altogether since it can spill and burn etc.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 7:26 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
3-4 staff is fine. She can enlist a sister or two to help out and throw excess plates out.

3 bathrooms is not sufficient for 150 people-- 50 people waiting on line at a time while one is likely out of commission is not a good situation. I think renting Porta potties is necessary for such a crowd. Imo. Any big outdoor event I have been to made sure to have more facilities available. Maybe Andrea Levy can weigh in.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 7:37 am
DVOM, I am going to say this a nicely as I can. Andrea levy is 100% right in her posts.
I went to a professional cooking school plus 3 yrs of experience in function hall.
150 people for buffet dinner is this including or excluding children and babies?
Do you have space for all guests? Keep in mind guests pull out chairs and not always put them back while going to get food.
Strollers and buggies take up space.
Where to store food before heating? In your neighbours fridge? Where to cool all the beverages in advance? Can you seriously imagine yourself running with a dish and heating it up on your neighbours oven? You got a key to her house? You know how her oven works?
What is your size of your kitchen? Are you doing only disposables or also real china?
Children and babies will need a space for changing diapers and a place for nursing, did you think of that?
You mention you will get help from a man if there is a blocked toilet, am I understanding this right? Please tell me I have got it wrong, PLEASE.I can't imagine asking Dh or any other man to deal with a clogged toilet in the middle of a simcha, that is frankly not reasonable IMO. Who wants to deal with this in nice clothes?
I am SURE your guests are very polite and friendly *TO YOU*. Speak to experienced waiters and your will draw your conclusions. People expect less of you but much more of waiters and they have no problem to tell the waiters what they think of them.
Are you SURE all of the friends promising to cook and prepare will be doing it 100 %? what if one or two or three won't be doing it and canceling on you. What about the cleaning up and returning tables and chairs?
I have lots of experience with logistics. IMHO you need to rethink. First the basics and then the beautiful decorations. Nobody will remember decorations if the logistics was bad.
I am truly sorry for you but but andrea levy is right.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 7:53 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

Sisters will be waitresses the whole event in this case. It's not possible to be a guest and waitress at the same time, the function is too big for that.
Never assume people can wait for a bathroom. Again, this is a large event, probably including children too

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 8:01 am
To all of posters here: how many of you have done an event like this based on what DVOM describes? I am talking about nr of guests, food and outdoors. There are lots of nice ideas but I want to know how many actually have done it IRL.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 8:04 am
I think the thought if having to hang up countless decorations with a bunch of kids plus get a family ready for a Simcha and keep everyone fed and happy and the house clean is enough to call it a day for myself. If I had to do a hundred other things like you're doing I'd probably end up tantruming. You have to know yourself so obviously you think you could do it. You also have to account for things to come up unexpectedly. You initially made it seem like you're doing a lot by yourself which is crazy but now you're saying you have a lot of help which makes more sense.

I get you. You want a unique fun filled party and you enjoy the prep and seeing the outcome and the compliments and the thrill before hand.

You will still have that even if you use a caterer or party planner at your side.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 8:13 am
Are your guests coming by car? If yes, then what are the parking solutions?

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:10 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
To all of posters here: how many of you have done an event like this based on what DVOM describes? I am talking about nr of guests, food and outdoors. There are lots of nice ideas but I want to know how many actually have done it IRL.

Mine was inside but otherwise pretty similar. I think I hired help to clean up and serve but honestly can't remember. I must have. probably 3 or 4 people. My family all helped with the preps and setup. I did have the advantage of lots of toilets, and a commercial oven to heat up the food.

Help to clean up is important. Setting up is fun, but not so much cleaning lol.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:12 am
Remember that one top of the mazel tovs your son will get, you and Dh will be in the center the whole evening. You will receive guests in a non stop stream. There is no way you can split yourself into helping out what's going on in the kitchen,having an eye on what's going on at the yard AND greeting all your guests properly. You need a professional manager to deal with it and who is in charge of the waiters.
Remember, you don't get a second chance for your first son's bar mitzvah.
Page 4 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days