Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When to start discipline?

Ruby

Post Sat, Oct 01 2005, 11:19 pm
Hi all
When is it recommended that you start disciplining your child?
My baby screams whenever she wants to and I want to make sure that I deal with this properly. Does she even understand if I say no? First time mom and have no clue? any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

Tefila

Post Sat, Oct 01 2005, 11:24 pm
At one yr old I formally discipline them or atleast try to Wink

Meema2Kids

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 12:04 am
I would start disciplining now too. It is really important to be consistent, so come up with a game plan and stick to it.

hindy

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 5:16 pm
so, how to discipline???

I was told to use time out. my son (21 months) doesn't understand that.

any advice?

hindy

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Oct 03 2005, 3:33 pm
Hindy, if you keep on doing it, he will get it..

Now don't bash my head for this, but I always heard that you should start disciplining your kids before they are born.. (maybe it's just the chasidish mentality)?

I'll go get my bullet proof vest and helmet now!

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Oct 03 2005, 4:37 pm
Hindy - a couple things. When my dd was almost 2, instead of a time out I would walk away from her. For example, I'd say "We don't hit. Hitting hurts." (we had a big problem with her hitting us at that age Confused Then I'd walk out of the room, ignoring her. That was her time out, and it worked (we had to be patient, it took months but in the end she learned)

Also, with my older DS, when we started time outs he would not stay n time out so I put him in a high chair. After he learned what time out was (about a year!) I gave him the choice, time out in the corner or in the high chair, and he chooses the corner and stays there until I tell him his time out is done.

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 03 2005, 5:33 pm
Quote:
Now don't bash my head for this, but I always heard that you should start disciplining your kids before they are born.. (maybe it's just the chasidish mentality)?

Chinuch/ education starts b/4 one is even born like mother eating kosher listening to jewish music learning torah etc. but diciplining them how can one praacticaly do that b/4 they r born Scratching Head

Quote:
I'll go get my bullet proof vest and helmet now

Won't help w/h these posters LOL

hardwrknmom

Post Mon, Oct 03 2005, 5:38 pm
hindy wrote:
so, how to discipline???

I was told to use time out. my son (21 months) doesn't understand that.

any advice?

hindy

time out?? are you kidding?? it doesnt work for a 21 month old- they dont understand. They think its a joke. It doesnt work by most kids that age. Let me know if it works by you!

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Oct 03 2005, 5:39 pm
Freilach, you havent tried me yet... I'm stubborn..
I actually don't even think I need the helmet and vest.. I'll do just fine w/out it..
Let's just see if a/one will be brave enough to start up with me..

Yehudis2

Post Sun, Dec 25 2005, 7:53 am
I know this is an old post but I thought I would add a tip that worked for me and for others too.
My 2nd child was born when my oldest was 18 months. My 18 month old accepted his sister pretty well on the whole but did resort to some aggression to the baby at times. Since timeout did not work (he only chapped what that means now that he's over 2) I was advised by a friend to react by holding them in your lap with your hands over theirs for a minute. Since toddlers love to move, this is a timeout -at their level. You need only do it for half - to a minute and after a couple of time they get the message.
I hope this helps,
Yehudis

EBC

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 12:12 am
I know this is a very old thread, but I was wondering-
I have a 19 month old and a 4 month old.
the 19 month old loves the baby, but sometimes hits him, etc.
we also had some people over for shabbos, and he would just go over to the kids and push them.
I feel like he does not understand when we try to discipline him
any ideas?
tia

justanothermother

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 12:40 am
Purple Rox! wrote:

Now don't bash my head for this, but I always heard that you should start disciplining your kids before they are born...

That's right. When my little fetus starts kicking up a storm when it's supposed to be bedtime I am very firm. I say, "That's it little person, I've had enough. Time out in the uterus right now, and don't even think of coming out till you are ready to apologize."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics