Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Kosher food challenge
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:18 pm
Let’s say I want to take a road trip across the US and I don’t want to pack food. Eat only what’s available in local supermarkets. I’ll have an electric skillet and toaster oven. We keep pas Yisroel and chalav Yisroel. Assume we’ll spend shabbos near a Jewish community so weekday meals only.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:24 pm
Pas yosrorl is hard. That means you can’t buy bread, cookies, cake or pretzels. Also can’t buy dairy or meat. Even tuna is a problem (unless not careful with I shul yisroel)
Can you live on fruits, vegetables, beans, corn tortilla, canned products, veggie burgers, protein bars , oatmeal, eggs and some fish - then it is doable.

Breakfast eggs with veggies
Lunch and dinner: fish, veggie burgers, oatmeal, salads with chickpeas and beans, quinoa with roasted vegetables, rice
Soups - vegetable, split pea, lentil

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:26 pm
Yeah, I can live with a limited diet.

I just want to see what options people come up with.

Tofu and soy burgers and stuff are usually available in supermarkets but I’m not sure if they’re that easy to find in more rural places.

Frumme

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:27 pm
Honest opinion, bring a rice cooker so you can cook rice, pasta, soup, quinoa, steamed veggies, omelettes, etc.

Otherwise you should be fine. Plan out where all the Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are to get PY bread and maybe even meat (TJs). CY you will probably be out of luck unless you plan to stop by a kosher shop on your travels. You can get whole fresh fish from fish markets or salmon sides from sam's club or Costco.

Get vegan deli, GF wraps (Aldi's has great ones), Gardein & dr praeger products, etc at local super markets. Vegan cheese if you want cheese. Remember a lot of GF foods are generally ok PY wise

amother
Black

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:29 pm
Most grocery/supermarket chains in the U.S. will have a kosher aisle (in reality a shelf or 2) where you can buy things like matzoh, jars of gefilte fish, grape juice, and a few other random items. Even in very remote areas.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:31 pm
Do gluten free breads and cookies have to be pas yisroel?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:32 pm
We lived in a remote area for a year and this is basically how we lived. Monthly trips to the nearest Jewish community to stock our freezer but eating basically vegan most of the time. We drank soy milk. Ate a lot of pasta and tuna. It’s been a long time though... more than 20 years. I’ve forgotten a lot...

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:32 pm
Salads
Quesadillas with corn tortillas
Tacos
Eggs, many ways
Asian stir fries with tofu (can you bring rice maker? Or maybe boil in bag ones in skillet?)
Lentils and rice or rice and beans in skillet.

Try to look at it as vegan and gluten free, plus eggs. That might give you ideas for recipes and where to shop. If you're in areas with stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's (I'm guessing more urban/suburban) you'll have a lot more options than if you're in an area of the US where there aren't many options.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:34 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

If they’re chameishes minei dagan, yes.

But with my own toaster oven I could do biscuits or other quick and easy recipes.

Frumme

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:35 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

Only if they have oat flour in them. If it's just tapioca starch, potato starch, rice flour, etc it's fine

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:36 pm
Why not bring some stuff with you?
Stuff like bagels and/or wraps, tuna pouches, some microwaveable dinners, and rely on local stores for the rest.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

But with my own toaster oven I could do biscuits or other quick and easy recipes.
The only one of the chameshes minei that’s gf is oats. There are definitely kosher brands out there that are oat free. For bread, cookies, crackers, pretzels.

Frumme

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You can get bisquick and make biscuits or pancakes easily. If you have the time to wait for it to defrost & proof, you can get Rhodes Rolls, too.

There are also a few brands of uncooked flour tortillas on the market but they're hard to find. I saw them at Sprouts-- like 8 for $4 or $5.

(Speaking of Sprouts, they also have pareve Indian food pouches with Earth K that aren't so bad)

Last edited by Frumme on Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:38 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Why not bring some stuff with you?
Stuff like bagels and/or wraps, tuna pouches, some microwaveable dinners, and rely on local stores for the rest.

Bagels will get stale quickly. Nothing that I have to worry about coolers and ice packs. Shelf stable food only.

I like eating healthy anyway. These are some great ideas.

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bagels will get stale quickly. Nothing that I have to worry about coolers and ice packs. Shelf stable food only.

I like eating healthy anyway. These are some great ideas.

Minestrone soup packs can be great, just add water and whatever veggies you can find. Bring uncooked pasta and rice (you can cook rice in a skillet). Ramen packs and cook them with msg free soup mix.
Fruits and vegetables can be found anywhere which is great.

I’d suggest a Betty Crocker pizza maker over a toaster over. Or one for dairy one for meat. You can make a million things in the pizza maker.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 10:49 pm
Frumme wrote:
Honest opinion, bring a rice cooker so you can cook rice, pasta, soup, quinoa, steamed veggies, omelettes, etc.

Otherwise you should be fine. Plan out where all the Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are to get PY bread and maybe even meat (TJs). CY you will probably be out of luck unless you plan to stop by a kosher shop on your travels. You can get whole fresh fish from fish markets or salmon sides from sam's club or Costco.

Get vegan deli, GF wraps (Aldi's has great ones), Gardein & dr praeger products, etc at local super markets. Vegan cheese if you want cheese. Remember a lot of GF foods are generally ok PY wise

Just an FYI, the Aldi gf wraps no longer have hashgacha (at least by me, east coast)

Frumme

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 11:13 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Just an FYI, the Aldi gf wraps no longer have hashgacha (at least by me, east coast)

Oh no! Oh well.

Aldi's is always changing its sources, best to always triple check their products

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:16 am
What an awesome adventure! Can I come?

You can probably research a fair amount ahead of time -- if you know you'll stop in Upper Yenemvelt, google the local food stores, and get some idea of products.

Beans, rice, fresh produce, eggs, pasta would all be good staples.

Will you bring fishing rods and catch your own fish for occasional meals? Smile

essie14

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:39 am
I haven't lived in the US for over 10 years but when I did, I traveled at least a couple times a year. never anywhere very rural, but several times not near a jewish community.
I am not makpid on pas Yisrael or chalav Yisrael and it was totally doable.
So many national brands have a hechsher and salads and eggs and tuna and fruit and snacks will be readily available.
Obviously if you can find a store like TJ's or other chains which are known to have lots of kosher food, that's great. But anyplace with any major supermarket will really be fine.

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:44 am
essie14 wrote:
I haven't lived in the US for over 10 years but when I did, I traveled at least a couple times a year. never anywhere very rural, but several times not near a jewish community.
I am not makpid on pas Yisrael or chalav Yisrael and it was totally doable.
So many national brands have a hechsher and salads and eggs and tuna and fruit and snacks will be readily available.
Obviously if you can find a store like TJ's or other chains which are known to have lots of kosher food, that's great. But anyplace with any major supermarket will really be fine.

But if you are makpid on these restrictions, it will be an order of magnitude trickier.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics