Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
If I only have one dishwasher.. should I make it milk or mea
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 7:28 pm
I know the obvious answer would probobly be meat, however for daily use, we typically have way more milk dishes to wash than meat. The cups, mugs, containers for lunch etc... so I would run a load every day or two. But meat I only run once after Shabbos. I know shabbos cleanup would be harder but then the daily cleanup would be easier?
Thoughts?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 7:31 pm
OP, it's so family specific, and you should do what will make YOUR life easier.

I would choose fleishigs, because I mostly use paper for milichig. But you need to do what makes sense for your family.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 7:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know the obvious answer would probobly be meat, however for daily use, we typically have way more milk dishes to wash than meat. The cups, mugs, containers for lunch etc... so I would run a load every day or two. But meat I only run once after Shabbos. I know shabbos cleanup would be harder but then the daily cleanup would be easier?
Thoughts?

I think milchigs makes more sense in this case. It will help your day to day house management more. (According to what you described.)

chili-n-cholent

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 7:33 pm
Do you have babies or toddlers that drink a lot of bottles, have pumping supplies etc?
That would be a big factor in my decision as I hate washing bottles and the dishwasher does such a good job sterilizing them

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 7:35 pm
If you think you will get more use out of it for milk, then go for it.

I have 1 dishwasher and it is for meat. We have meat dinners mostly and some parve (which I make in meat dishes so I can wash them in the dishwasher). And then when we do have dairy, I tend to use more disposable pans, plates, cups, silverware because of the convenience and avoidance of washing more dishes. If my dishwasher would be for dairy, it would probably be the opposite situation (and we would eat more parve and dairy meals!)

One day, I want to get 3 dishwashers.... and all my problems will be solved!

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 7:42 pm
I had the same dilemma and I made it meat. I decided the more gross things to clean are often meat and it's a big help after shabbos and before, when I need to clean up from cooking quickly. I actually had just a dairy dishwasher in one of my apartments before I got married and it worked because we didn't make a lot of shabbos meals.

Twinster

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 7:49 pm
chili-n-cholent wrote:
have pumping supplies etc?

Breastmilk is parve.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 7:56 pm
Twinster wrote:
Breastmilk is parve.

I think when most people choose a “gender” for them they make it milchigs probably because most pumps you connect to bottles and eventually you might use those bottles for cow’s milk when the baby turns 1. At least that’s my personal line of reasoning though I’m not the poster who you’re quoting.

chili-n-cholent

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 8:04 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I think when most people choose a “gender” for them they make it milchigs probably because most pumps you connect to bottles and eventually you might use those bottles for cow’s milk when the baby turns 1. At least that’s my personal line of reasoning though I’m not the poster who you’re quoting.

Yup that’s my reasoning especially when you use the same bottles for formula and pumped milk

farm

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 8:59 pm
How about getting the Fischer Paykel 2 drawer dishwasher that takes up the same room as a single? You will have to do more than 1 run after shabbos but I find the size perfect for weekday.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 9:14 pm
farm wrote:
How about getting the Fischer Paykel 2 drawer dishwasher that takes up the same room as a single? You will have to do more than 1 run after shabbos but I find the size perfect for weekday.

Sounds cool! So you’re allowed to use one drawer for milchig and one for fleishig?

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 9:46 pm
Faced with the same question, I chose fleishig. I wash a lot of dairy dishes daily, since I don't use disposables.
That being said, like amother above, I prepare and serve more pareve dishes now on fleishig than before. Overall, I'm happy with my decision but I'm fascinated by the Fisher Paykel two drawer dishwasher.

A quick search on Star-k Appliance section: there is no mention.

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 9:55 pm
We do dairy and I have no regrets.

lucky14

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 9:55 pm
Same situation. We eat dairy almost every night. When we first got married we decided to use our dishwasher for meat. Ended up really regretting it. So next time we had the option to choose we chose to go with dairy. For me I liked it SO much better. Washing dishes is probably my least favorite household chore.

tweety1

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 10:23 pm
I use mine for meat and pareve. I only have one dishwasher.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 11:35 pm
Any more info about the Fisher Paykel? Sounds brilliant

zebra111

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 1:49 am
Op are u sefardi? Rav ovadia held u can use one dishwasher for both. Might not help u but maybe someone else

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 1:50 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Any more info about the Fisher Paykel? Sounds brilliant

I love the idea but I've heard this one has a bad record for needing frequent repairs. Anyone have it with success?

farm

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 9:57 am
Each drawer has its separate hoses. They are 2 separate machines but within one outer structure that is the standard size of a dishwasher. Mine is pretty new so I can't comment on needing frequent repairs, but it did come with a 5 year warranty.

tweety1

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 11:13 am
zebra111 wrote:
Op are u sefardi? Rav ovadia held u can use one dishwasher for both. Might not help u but maybe someone else

Chasidish and have one dishwasher.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics