Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What new store can Baltimore use?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 5:37 pm
Dh would like to start a new business. What type of store or business could baltimore use? (We are newish to the community and I'm still not familiar with everything so figured I'd ask here). Can be a service type of business too... He's open to everything, although it would also have to be an area he has some interest in....

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 5:41 pm
A decent dairy restaurant/cafe.

We had sapori for a hot minute and then it closed. Even when it was open, there wasn't much ambiance.

Many of us would LOVE a dairy cafe/restaurant with a little ambiance and a great dairy menu.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 5:48 pm
A good ice cream and candy store combined like Sweet Expressions in Crown Heights

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 5:49 pm
a coffee shop!!!!!!!

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 5:54 pm
I asked my husband what he thinks we’re missing here. He said- Teacher’s Edition, Amazing Savings, and good pareve cheesecake.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 6:04 pm
Mimi’s linen or something similar- they have high and lower end linen, table cloths, house hold accessories and other fun stuff.

We also can definitely use amazing savings and toys 4 u.

Nice milchlic place would be amazing and open downtown!

Can he open multiple places lol.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 6:14 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
a coffee shop!!!!!!!

Yup. I was so sad coffee bean closed.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 7:28 pm
Amazing savings. A nice fleishig restaurant to take clients out. A nice milchig restaurant to take clients out. A restaurant in the quarry. Any place to go to that opens before 10 or 11 in the morning and closes late - like midnight.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 7:56 pm
Amazing Savings

Junees

Tottini/Kidichic- cheap kids clothing store

Coffee/ CY Ice Cream Shop (nice ambiance, similar idea to KAVA where people can study/meet)

24 hour convenience store with prepared food

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 8:12 pm
Yes, we technically have Sprinkles, but I'm frankly unimpressed.

We "need" (a bit facetious, but one can dream) a standalone (or at least more hours) CY ice cream shop with multiple options for soft/hard, regular/low-fat/sugar-free, various toppings, etc. I think it could do well if set up like I Scream Kids in Lakewood (if you're familiar), with an indoor playground in back (so people will want to come when the weather isn't great), and a limited menu besides ice cream (optional, but will help attract the before, during, after lunch crowd).

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 8:15 pm
Higher end furniture store like TH Interiors, Amazing Savings, Toys 4 u, Gourmet Glatt, Evergreen (but I'll take any grocery store that can stay open past 7 on Sundays and at least till midnight the rest of the week and motzei shabbos), Shoe Palace, higher end clothing store for women like Sorelle, baby furniture.....

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 7:03 am
OP - what experience does your husband have in running a business? For all those that are suggesting restaurants, the food business is totally different than a retail store and there is very little chance of long-term success without experience in the industry, unless the OP's husband has the funds to hire someone experienced to run the day-to-day operations.

I do agree with the Amazing Savings type store suggestion. Although we have Savings Center and A to Z, the first place I go to when I am in Lakewood is Amazing Savings.

Another suggestion is a teens/ladies shoe store. Kiki's is okay, but they carry very few brands and it gets very crowded in that small space and overwhelming for me.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 7:23 am
A cheap large kosher grocery store like KRM or Bingo. A Jewish toy store. A cheaper tznius children clothing store. Amazing Savings. A plumbing/hvac supply store.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 7:38 am
Another suggestion is a teens/ladies shoe store. Kiki's is okay, but they carry very few brands and it gets very crowded in that small space and overwhelming for me.[/quote]

That's why we need a Shoe Palace type store. They have hundreds of shoes for every budget and taste and there's no one looking over your shoulder the whole time.

Also Closeout Connection. A to Z and Savings Center serve their purpose but CC sells so much more for great prices. That is always my first stop in Lakewood.

Quote:
A cheap large kosher grocery store like KRM or Bingo

or NPGS co-op in Lakewood. You just can't get those prices anywhere else!

Maybe we can each open one store and then we'll have it all LOL ! I find it interesting that when we go shopping in Lakewood we see so many Baltimore people in every store. Doesn't this mean there's a need for these places in Baltimore?

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 7:40 am
All shoe stores that do fittings are crazy crowdedwith long wait times... in town and out

I don’t think an expensive women dress store could support itself in Baltimore.

I think inexpensive kids clothing would do great. Like Tottini, kidichic, sage.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 8:08 am
Quote:
I don’t think an expensive women dress store could support itself in Baltimore.

I buy all my simcha clothes at Sorelle's in Lakewood and every time I'm there lots of Baltimore families are there, even one's who I wouldn't think could afford it. Perhaps Baltimore can't support a complete store like that, but maybe one of the clothing stores that already have the infrastructure in place can either "sublet" to that kind of store or have a section that offers more sophisticated clothing so we don't have to always run to Lakewood. There are ways to broaden the scope of what Baltimore currently offers, it just takes a little of thinking "outside the box".

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 8:16 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Higher end furniture store like TH Interiors, Amazing Savings, Toys 4 u, Gourmet Glatt, Evergreen (but I'll take any grocery store that can stay open past 7 on Sundays and at least till midnight the rest of the week and motzei shabbos), Shoe Palace, higher end clothing store for women like Sorelle, baby furniture.....

Trying to duplicate NY and Lakewood businesses here is a huge mistake. The old timers resent it (the very idea of trying to duplicate NY stores here) and won’t pay that kind of money. The existing store owners resent it and those who are loyal to them wont shop there. Non-old timers but not NY transplants don't want to pay those prices and are perfectly content and happy to buy shoes at any normal store and would never pay Shoe Palace prices. High end and exclusive is not the Baltimore way. If you were here when Seasons opened up, you’ll remember the tremendous fight and loss Wassermens and Shlomy’s sustained… and Market Maven is struggling to stay open now and are almost always empty. We have no need for another grocery store. Another set of relatively new people to Baltimore recently tried to open a kosher liquor store and people are fighting to stop them. It is not looked upon well here when newcomers come in without really understanding the existing landscape.

OP, if you read any of the Baltimore threads on here and if you are part of the Facebook and whatsapp groups, you will see that the real need here is more licensed legal daycare with long hours for real working parents. I would recommend opening a daycare and hiring staff to run it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 8:34 am
Right. Baltimore people are perfectly happy with shopping at DSW, for example.
And there was an Amazing Savings a number of years ago but it ended up closing.
Location is a big deal, you need a storefront not too out of the way, and with decent parking. That issue caused other places to close.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 4:32 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Right. Baltimore people are perfectly happy with shopping at DSW, for example.
And there was an Amazing Savings a number of years ago but it ended up closing.
Location is a big deal, you need a storefront not too out of the way, and with decent parking. That issue caused other places to close.

Did it close because of lack of customers? I always remember it being busy.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 5:10 pm
Don't forget your sisters in Silver Spring! From all the ideas written I don't think any of the expensive clothing/ furniture stores but definitely think we would patronize a nice cafe or coffee shop, really nice meat restaurant, kidichic, bingo.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics