Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Misinformation about wealthy/financially comfortable people
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Jade

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 9:58 am
What dollar amount is considered wealthy?

Raisin

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 10:25 am
How do you feel when your non wealthy friends are really struggling financially and you know you could so easily write a check and pay for their problems? Also, do you always pay for meals when eating out? Is it awkward, either way?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 10:30 am
Raisin wrote:
How do you feel when your non wealthy friends are really struggling financially and you know you could so easily write a check and pay for their problems? Also, do you always pay for meals when eating out? Is it awkward, either way?

It hurts. However I’m not wealthy enough to easily write a check and solve all of their problems. Even if I can solve one immediate problem it’ll just be until the next one crops up. I can’t very well give them long-term support.
I don’t eat out much. When I do it’s mostly with dh, or with friends who are in a similar income bracket. Like I said I’m not that social.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 11:24 am
Are you by nature a generous person? Do you share from your good fortune? (Not only tzedakah) gifts, etc...

amother
Lime

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 11:36 am
Wealthy to me would be a steady income of over $2-5 million a year for at least a couple of years.....
Are we on the same page?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 11:40 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Are you by nature a generous person? Do you share from your good fortune? (Not only tzedakah) gifts, etc...

Gifts aren’t my love language so I’m not very into them

amother
Blue

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 11:43 am
Raisin wrote:

Not OP but I always pick up the check when eating out with friends. I want their company and meeting for a meal is something I want to do and I can easily afford it.

I don't have enough to make all financial problems go away but with closest friends I have given them very generous checks - just short of what needs to be reported as a "gift" for tax purposes. My thinking is that I would probably be leaving them some amount in my will and so I would rather have them get the money now when they can use it. I have also gifted friends with expensive items like a computer or an iPad.

I am not obviously rich at all so most people would never suspect unless they really thought about my family's lifestyle. Our home isn't a McMansion but is a nice home in a very expensive neighborhood. The interior is comfortable but the home was built in 1949 and so would probably be torn down when it is sold - but I have no intention of moving because I don't particularly want a large flashy home. Cars are older but Lexus type of cars and paid for in cash but driven for many years. We spend a lot on experiences like travel but again you wouldn't realize that unless you were really thinking hard about it. I have nice clothing but not obviously designer so again you wouldn't realize it. I have acquired a taste for jewelry but again it isn't flashy type of stuff so again you wouldn't realize it. - Is there a pattern going on?

I do enjoy contributing to charities and causes but again that is pretty under the radar as well. Nothing named for us. No dinners in our honor etc. There is a scholarship named for a parent - but again not something most people will realize.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 11:44 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Wealthy to me would be a steady income of over $2-5 million a year for at least a couple of years.....
Are we on the same page?

I think it's hard to say an amount. For me it would mean more comfortable than the average person around u. It would mean u can easily afford what ur acquaintances need to budget more for. or can only dream of doing/buying...

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 11:47 am
Raisin wrote:

I always wish I can help everyone. In fact I feel really uncomfortable spending on things for myself when I can get away with less if theres someone I know that's really struggling. I always just want to give it to them. Bh DH loves to give tzedakah and I really hope Hashem continues to trust us with the money to help others. I am naturally stingy for myself but for others I'd gladly give.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 11:47 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I think it's hard to say an amount. For me it would mean more comfortable than the average person around u. It would mean u can easily afford what ur acquaintances need to budget more for. or can only dream of doing/buying...

That I would call comfortable.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 11:48 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
That I would call comfortable.

Yes makes sense. I definitely wouldnt call myself wealthy.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 11:50 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Yes makes sense. I definitely wouldnt call myself wealthy.

I don’t know your specific finances, I was referring to your definition.
From your other posts you might be more than that....

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 1:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tzeddaka is not my department.

I would rethink this. First, because women are obligated in the mitzvah of tzedaka, and second, because the act of giving impacts the giver in a good way.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 4:43 pm
To all the the comfortable and wealthy ppl reading this. Do you ever complain about prices - be it necessities like pampers or luxuries like air travel? I know people who do and it really hurts those of us who struggle financially and really can't afford many things..

amother
Lime

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 7:34 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
To all the the comfortable and wealthy ppl reading this. Do you ever complain about prices - be it necessities like pampers or luxuries like air travel? I know people who do and it really hurts those of us who struggle financially and really can't afford many things..

I definitely mention if I think something is overpriced.
Why does it hurt you if I exclaim Store x sells kids shoes for $200, OMG.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 7:42 pm
Question for OP-
Do you realize that some people (like me) find you intimidating just because of your wealth?

amother
Red

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 7:47 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Do you feel resentful of people who have more children than they can afford?

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 7:47 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Are we on the same page?

So $1,000,000 a year is not wealthy? 😂😂

amother
Lime

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 7:51 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:

I’m more in the comfortable than wealthy category.
I don’t have issues with people having more kids, but it would depend how poor they are....like homeless, then definitely....

We definitely try to help out as many people as we can...

Unfortunately I do judge when people who aren’t emotionally stable have more children.

amother
Red

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 7:53 pm
Do you work? If not, what do you do all day?
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics