Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Milichig purim seudah?
1  2  Next

SingALong

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 10:23 pm
being that purim is on a friday, I was thinking of doing a milichig brunch as my purim seudah. is there a minhag to have meat? is there any specific food that we are supposed to have?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 3:46 am
The chiyuv (obligation) of the Purim seuda is basar v'yayin - eating meat and drinking wine.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 3:52 am
Where does it say that? I couldn't find it in the SA.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 4:06 am
I also didn't find it in the SA.

I have it in Rav Zvi Cohen's sefer Purim v'chodesh Adar, but he doesn't bring sources.

מצווה לאכול בשר ולשתות יין בסעודת פורים.
אפילו אשה העומדת לטבול במוצאי פורים מותרת ומצווה באכילת בשר כבשבת ויו"ט.
(chapter 14, 11-12)

It is a mitzva to eat meat and drink wine at the Purim seuda.
Even a woman who will be going to the mikva on motzai Purim, is allowed, and has the mitzva to eat meat as on Shabbos and YT.

Does anyone have any primary sources for this?

Crayon210

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 4:12 am
Confused

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 4:22 am
Crayon210 wrote:
Confused

What does that mean crayon?

Rav Zvi Cohen's seforim are very, very mekubal in EY for gathering all the halachos on one topic. I am 100% sure that he has a source or he wouldn't have written it. I'm afraid I don't know where to find it, and I am supposed to be doing other things this morning and not combing my husband's seforim. Wink

I have one more source for you, though personally I haven't heard of the sefer, but it's from the halachos in Marve letzamei which is a chassidish weekly, so maybe it's chassidish and others here do know it:

It says a person should eat basar beheima (red meat) and the source is Leket Yosher U'Mishnas Ya'akov (I don't know if that is one sefer or two) Part 3; 695)

Anyway, enough lomdus, I need to get back to work!!

At least this shows a person should ask their own LOR before planning a milchig seuda.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 4:26 am
All I meant was that I wanted a primary source. ;-)

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 4:41 am
Crayon210 wrote:
All I meant was that I wanted a primary source. ;-)

Yup, me too. Tongue Out

Tamiri

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 5:54 am
We are having fish meat.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 9:21 am
I'm having dairy- I think dh checked with my Rabbi- but I have to double check.

I'm in my first trimester and cannot handle meat/chicken right now. I'm making the seuda because nobody else here is anyways.

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 11:34 am
Rambam, Hilchos Megilla, halacha 15

"What is the obligation of this meal? That he eat meat and have a nice meal according to his means and drink wine until he becomes drunk and he falls asleep."

It is not brought down directly in S.Aruch but indirectly in Hilchos Megilla regarding the law of the onen (someone whose dead is not yet buried) that he is permitted to eat meat and drink wine on Purim.

Rav Meir Bransdorfer in "Teshuvot Knei Bosem" brings about the woman and the leil tevila and eating meat.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 11:40 am
hey - I'm having a milchig seudah ... I think enjoyment comes from eating what you like and it's not always meat ...

you can make a nice salmon and it's just as good as meat if you ask me ...

I however will be making a quiche and salad ... savoring the meat for shabbos ...

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 12:18 pm
We're also having milchigs. I'm looking forward to it more than if I was having meat! It's fun to have milchig dishes that you usually wouldn't make.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 2:03 pm
I think it must be mad hard to make a milchiga seuda and get ready for Shabbos (fleishigs). Keeping so much separate and all that washing up to do!!!!

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 2:07 pm
We're having potluck, so I'm making my dairy dishes now (already finished the scalloped potatoes) and will cook some stuff for Friday night dinner tonight and tomorrow.

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 2:50 pm
The whole Basar ve Dagim (ve yayin) is a big debate in many cirlces - what with vegeterians, vegans, allergies, finances, etc... While there is (to my understanding) a hiddur mitzvah to have meat, it is not an obligation and c'v'sh no aveira is being done by not having meat. Just my understading of what I've learnt.

Where I am going there are doing a milchig brinch - I am soooo excitted. My dh does not enjoy fleish much and if we had it at Purim seudah he would defenitely not enjoy eating it again Shabbos (twice!). BTW we do the same on long Yom Tovim, we often make day meals milchig or pareve when there are 3 day YT.

mom21n2

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 3:05 pm
Motek wrote:
(someone whose dead is not yet buried) that he is permitted to eat meat and drink wine on Purim.

I don't think he will be doing either.

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 4:12 pm
mom21n2 wrote:

It's brought down as his obligation to do so! Because the simcha of Purim (m'divrei kabala, which is d'oraisa) supersedes the laws of onen (d'rabbanan).

mom21n2

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 4:15 pm
mom21n2 wrote:
Motek wrote:
(someone whose dead is not yet buried) that he is permitted to eat meat and drink wine on Purim.

I mean, I've never seen someone who is dead eating meat or drinking wine, regardless of whether he is buried or not.

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 4:19 pm
ah, but I didn't say that he is dead! I said "whose dead" I.e. his dead relative
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus