Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How do I clean a Down feather duvet?

The Rebbitzen

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 8:08 pm
My daughter had an accident and her duvet is soaked through and stinks.
Any tips/ideas on how I can wash it? May I wash it in the washing machine? May I dry it in the dryer or drip dry?
People told me to take it to a laundromat, should I?
Thank you

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 8:28 pm
Check the label for cleaning instructions. If it says it can be machine washed, there is a lot of advice on line about how to do it. The potential advantage of a laundromat is that they probably have bigger machines than you have at home.

If it says dry clean only, you are probably better off following their instructions.

When we had situations like this, we would sometimes just hang it in the garden for two or three days, until it was completely dry and no trace of smell left.

angelgirl

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 9:07 pm
As poster above says, if it says it can be machine washed, and you have a big enough capacity in your machine, go for it. I have done it many times.

When drying (check yours can be machine dried) I put in dryer with multiple dryer balls. They are needed otherwise it comes out a flat horrid duvet. And dry it on low heat for a long time.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 10:25 pm
Always check the label and follow instructions. If you need a bigger machine to accommodate it, then take it to the laundromat. Don't forget baking soda and vinegar if if smells. Good luck!

The Rebbitzen

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 1:52 pm
Would any of you have ideas on cleaning the mattress? I would like to get rid of the stain but more importantly the smell.

angelgirl

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 3:30 pm
The Rebbitzen wrote:
Would any of you have ideas on cleaning the mattress? I would like to get rid of the stain but more importantly the smell.

Spray with white vinegar, then sprinkle a fair amount of cornstarch over it and let it soak for a while, then hoover it. The vinegar gets rid of the urine smell and the corn starch soaks up the vinegar. Google it- u might find better instructions but those are the ingredients I use.

challahchallah

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 4:08 pm
The Rebbitzen wrote:

I’d rent a carpet cleaner with upholstery attachment from either a big grocery store or a hardware store.

For the future, get a waterproof mattress cover that you can just throw in the wash.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 4:25 pm
Scroll down to the section on the page that says urine and sweat stain removal.
https://www.thespruce.com/clea.....50742

And do get that breathable waterproof mattress pad for all beds. That way you can throw those into the machine as needed and keep the mattresses clean.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 7:57 pm
I also wasn't sure the best way to wash/clean my down comforter.

As it turned out, the best way was to put it in the washing machine and then in the dryer. As posted above, you need to use dryer balls so that the comforter dries correctly. I got mine on amazon - they are merino wall balls.

You also need to make sure the quilt is dried THOROUGHLY because if it is damp, it will get moldy inside which is not a good thing.

And yes to having mattress covers - they make ones that are breathable and don't crinkle. And you can use "pee pads" for extra if it is more than occasional.

rowo

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 9:10 pm
The Rebbitzen wrote:

Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda over the wet area.
Let it sit there for a while.
It soaks up the liquid and absorbs the smell.
Once it is dry you can vacuum it up.

You can add a few drops off lavender or other nice smelling oil if you’d like

The Rebbitzen

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 2:14 pm
and what if its not wet anymore can I still do the same?

Bubby6

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 7:02 pm
Amarante wrote:
I also wasn't sure the best way to wash/clean my down comforter.

As it turned out, the best way was to put it in the washing machine and then in the dryer. As posted above, you need to use dryer balls so that the comforter dries correctly. I got mine on amazon - they are merino wall balls.

You also need to make sure the quilt is dried THOROUGHLY because if it is damp, it will get moldy inside which is not a good thing.

And yes to having mattress covers - they make ones that are breathable and don't crinkle. And you can use "pee pads" for extra if it is more than occasional.

May take many many hours in dryer. Have to wait for all the feathers to dry and separate. Be patient and use tennis balls or sneakers to help it dry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry