Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Urgent! Baking paper???

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 6:20 pm
Is there a difference between baking paper and wax paper?????

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 6:24 pm
Most definitely.

Parchment paper:
Plant-based parchment:
Vegetable (paper) parchment is made by silicone treatment of high density paper. This produces a cross-linked material with high density, stability and heat resistance. Applications include cooking and baking (cooking parchment, baking parchment). To avoid sticking to foods, silicone and other coatings can be applied to parchment.

A common use is to eliminate the need to grease baking sheets and the like, allowing very rapid turn-around of batches of cookies in a commercial bakery. It can also be folded to make moisture-proof packages in which food items are cooked or steamed.

Standard grease-proof or wax paper does not have the properties of parchment and will burn in most cooking applications.
Wax Paper:
Food Preparation:
Oven: Wax paper should not be used for baking, as it will smoke and the wax will melt.

Microwave: Wax paper can function as a splatter cover in microwave cooking. Because the paper is mostly unaffected by microwaves, it will not heat to the point of combustion under normal usage. This makes wax paper more functional than plastic wrap which will melt at lower temperatures, or aluminium foil (or tin foil) which will block microwaves, preventing the covered foodstuff from heating (also Damaging your microwave in the process).

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 6:26 pm
OK thankss! I will not be udsing my wax paper in my jellyrollpan to make a jellyroll then! I guess I'll use foil...

lamplighter

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 6:42 pm
seriously wax paper is bad for baking......Ive been using it 4 years, ouch!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins