Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Should I keep Spice and Spirit?

scruffy

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 5:41 pm
Someone gifted me Spice and Spirit (the purple Lubavitch cookbook). I can still exchange it. In your opinion is it worth keeping since it's a classic? Or is it outdated/ replaceable by Imamother Smile

I'm more of an adventurous cook.

Keep or exchange??

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 5:45 pm
I would keep. It’s just a go to cookbook that had all the basics and Interesting things as well

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 5:46 pm
Keep! It's my classic recipe book. Last time I checked it was out of print and on sale for over $80. When I misplaced it for a few months, I was devastated.
Now it looks like it's back in print for $35.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, May 20 2021, 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

naomi2

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 5:47 pm
I love it! I'm an adventurous cook but these recipes are classics tried and true. If you want the best version of lentil soup, quiche, meatballs etc it's there. I vote for keeping it. I have tons of cookbooks and while they are fun to read I rarely make anything from there and I make something twice even less often. There is a thread here about favorite recipes from that cook book and it was interesting to note that there were so many mentioned as favorites and not just a few that everyone liked

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 5:47 pm
Someone gave me hers because she didn't use it.

Its a good basic, reference type book.... I appreciate that its not only Ashkenazi stuff (which makes because... Chabad..)

but if you have your eye on something else that will make you happy - exchange it!

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 5:51 pm
It is the only cookbook that gets regular use over the decades in my house. When I purge ones it is in the stay pile first.

I am a big believer in exchanging if you want something else though.

real

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 5:52 pm
it's the best!
Got it as a presant after about 5 years of marriage and have used it very often for over 13 years.

zigi

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 6:02 pm
I like how they teach how to make blintzes and other basics.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 6:06 pm
Only cookbook I would purchase for my daughters when they get married. It’s a staple, I trust their recipes and can teach you anything!
All other cookbooks are fillers, that I can basically google if I need.
Btw, I’m not connected to them at all, just lots of hakaras hatov for many years of cooking

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 6:09 pm
If you are new to cooking, and you really like traditional Ashkenazic cooking, it's a good starter.

I gave my copy to a friend of mine's daughter for a wedding present, since all I did was flip through it once, and then it sat on my shelf.

I've been cooking my whole life, and I found the book incredibly boring. I have similar recipes in some of my other cookbooks, and anything else you need you can find in a quick Google search. My tastes tend to run towards more international cuisine, anyway.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 6:22 pm
I received this cookbook a few months after I got married (23 years ago) and it is my go to cookbook..
It has everything, except pictures.

Living Princess

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 6:40 pm
Definitely!! I'd take a new copy any day!

amother
Linen

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 6:48 pm
I got it at my shower and loved it, but if you’re an experienced cook it may not be as helpful.

thepickled

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 7:07 pm
It’s good for traditional Jewish or yom tov recipes. I’m an adventurous cook, don’t really use kosher cookbooks generally, but I’ll pull it out for a reliable cheese blintz recipe or if I was making something like stuffed cabbage for yom tov.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 7:22 pm
I'd keep it and use it as a base. You have all the techniques and ratios, and then you can adapt and modify.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 7:24 pm
The thing is that this cookbook has probably double or triple the number of recipes that other cookbooks have. Since there are no pictures, and 3 recipes per page, you get much more for your money. I also love the index.
It has beginner recipes and more advanced, basic, traditional, healthy and international.
Something for everyone. .

SYA

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 9:22 pm
Love this cookbook. It's the one I use the most often. There are so many good recipes. I used the "tutorial" to learn how to make Challah, rugelach, blintzes and more.

Scotty

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 10:08 pm
Is it less exciting than the glossy gorgeous cookbooks with new innovative ideas? Yes. Will you read it for fun? No. BUT. It’s not meant for that - it’s meant to be the Jewish equivalent of Julia Child’s cooking bible, with solid recipes doe literally every ashkenazic food out there. Every home should have it. Yeah, I love me a good new cookbook, the crazier the better, but my S&S still has certain pages bedraggled from use, and is the bedrock of my beloved (overflowing) cookbook collection.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 10:42 pm
Yes! Great cookbook

scruffy

Post Fri, May 21 2021, 1:28 pm
Thanks everyone- based on all the responses, I think I'll hold on to it!

Have a great Shabbos!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen