Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Candle lighting on yom tov

IM-MA

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 2:46 am
When lighting candles on yom tov, does one do like on Shabbos or does one say the brocho first, without covering the eyes? Is it okay not to light in the succah? If one has guests, do the guests light first or the woman of the house?

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 1:05 pm
IM-MA wrote:
When lighting candles on yom tov, does one do like on Shabbos or does one say the brocho first, without covering the eyes?
I believe there are various minhagim for this. do you know what your mother does/did?
Quote:
Is it okay not to light in the succah?
not sure about this. I remember being at s/o's house who lit, said the brachos, then brought the candlesticks inside, but I'm not sure why.
Quote:
If one has guests, do the guests light first or the woman of the house?
I've heard that the guests should light first. I think the reason was that once the woman of the house lights she absolves the need for anyone else in the house to light cuz it's her house.

Tovah

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 1:08 pm
yes u are suppose to light in the succah, and u light as u would for shabbos. 613 never heard another way, but maybe u are right.

lucky

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 9:49 pm
On yom tov, there are some that say the bracha first and then light the candles. There are many reasons for this (which I of course don't remember.)

amother

Post Sun, Oct 09 2005, 11:56 pm
on shabbos we light first and then say the brocha cuz you accept shabbos w/ the brocha and once u accept shabbos, u cant light. we cover our eyes cuz usually, when doing a mitzvah, wesay the brocha, then do the mitzvah.so... we light first, cover our eyes to say the brocha, then uncover eyes so we see the light (as if we said brocha first.

therefore, on yomtov, when we can light on yomtov, many people say brocha first and then light- covering eyes not neccessary.

my mil taught me this-she lights first, then holds one candle while saying the brocha- to show that you can light on yomtov

shanie5- not signed in

Yael

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 1:13 pm
what about saying shehechiyanu? do you say shehechiyanu with your eyes covered or uncovered, and then when do you have the time to say your special tefilos?

supermom

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 2:19 pm
a lot of people to the usual for shabbos because as not to confuse themselves if shabbos comes out a day or so later.

as for the succah lighting what happens if it is windy or raining outside what do you do with your candles?

you say your teffilos after you light as usaul I presume and what is the problem with saying shehechiyanu with your eyes open?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 8:57 pm
supermom wrote:
a lot of people to the usual for shabbos because as not to confuse themselves if shabbos comes out a day or so later.

as for the succah lighting what happens if it is windy or raining outside what do you do with your candles?

you say your teffilos after you light as usaul I presume and what is the problem with saying shehechiyanu with your eyes open?

yes, I've heard although it's proper to say the brocha first, you can light first, since that's what you're used to.

About lighting in the sukkah, do you do that even if your eating meals out? I was afraid to light in the sukkah - to leave my silver candlesticks out there - accessible to anyone who comes to our backyard -- this is b'klyn!

lucky

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 11:44 pm
just a side note, On shabbos once you have lit the candles, even if you did not say the brocha, you are not allowd to put out the flame of the match, since technically you have already accepted the shabbos. Most people just put the match on a tray and it just burns itself out. I use a candle lighter and it is always war between the kids (boys )on who gets to put out the flame.

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Oct 24 2005, 8:48 am
Quote:
About lighting in the sukkah, do you do that even if your eating meals out? I was afraid to light in the sukkah - to leave my silver candlesticks out there - accessible to anyone who comes to our backyard -- this is b'klyn!

You can light the candles inside, as long as you can see them from the sukkah. We light ours in front of the kitchen table, the sukkah door is right next to the window.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Oct 24 2005, 11:14 am
we live in a basement....there's no way to see the candles from the sukkah!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics