Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Do you add soup mix to your chicken soup?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Persevere

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:46 am
You could also put in a pinch of turmeric!

Oldest

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:49 am
I don't do soup mix. I used to but I found it added a very catered/artificial taste to the soup. Instead, I add basic spices, a nice amount of veg and a lot of chicken half skinned. Then I just let it cook for hours. I have the soup on a low flame from the morning until a few minutes before Shabbos when I transfer it into my oven to keep warm

simcha2

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:51 am
I used to. But stopped. The main ingredient of the mix is the msg, which is a flavor enhancer, but salt does the same thing.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:53 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Add a kalichel (then use it for pulled beef) and or some sweet potatoes for richer flavor.

What is kalichel?

Persevere

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:53 am
By the way, there are also natural soup mixes out there which are great to have on hand.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:54 am
The soup mix probably has MSG, which will intensify the flavors. That's probably what your DS likes, not the taste of the mix itself. Try simmering your soup longer if you want to simulate the effect. I cook mine for 4 hours in a pressure cooker, which most people think is too long, but we like.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:01 am
lkwdlady wrote:
I don’t think they sell kosher vegetable salts here. I wonder why not? It would be interesting to try. I do put in enough salt as it is...

Try a vegetable salt called Herbamare. Producer: A. Vogel.
Mine made in france. Bought it in health store in bnei break.
Quality product. They also have a version Trocomare I think.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:05 am
Nopes. I add a lot of flavor the natural way- onion, garlic, vegetables, spices, and chicken/ chicken bones

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:07 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
What is kalichel?

Sinewy leg meat, similar to beef shank. It's a tough hunk of meat that gets very soft with low and very slow cooking.

crossroad

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:08 am
I used to but found my soup tastes better without.
I put in 3 loose carrots, 2 parsip, 1 onion, 2 sweet potato, fresh peeled garlic, fresh dill. I use two chicken legs and thighs with no skin. Only spice I use is salt.

My family likes a very clear soup, so I bag everything except the carrots, parsnip and onion.

raich

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:08 am
lkwdlady wrote:
My soup really tastes good! I just wanted to know how to get that spicy flavor without the soup mix.
I use parsnips, carrots, turnip, celery, onion and lots of chicken and bones.
I don’t need to use anything for color because it always looks like a rich chicken soup. Was just looking for a flavor idea. Thanks for telling me not to put in a garlic cube! I was almost about to! I’m surprised that the garlic cube doesn’t dissolve.

Do you put in black pepper? That gives it a nice spicy kick (depending on how much you add.)
I also usually add onion powder and garlic powder but have forgotten to on occasion and I don't think it makes a ton of a difference. For sure the pepper does, though.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:09 am
I bring the soup to a boil and then leave on low flame for 7-8 hours.

Do most people use garlic in chicken soup? Maybe that will add something. I wouldn’t want it to taste garlicky though... just to give it a little more flavor.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:11 am
raich wrote:
Do you put in black pepper? That gives it a nice spicy kick (depending on how much you add.)
I also usually add onion powder and garlic powder but have forgotten to on occasion and I don't think it makes a ton of a difference. For sure the pepper does, though.

Yes, the only spices I use are salt and black pepper. (Aside for the onion and veggies..)

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:12 am
No... never

estreya

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:14 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
What is kalichel?

It's a smallish cut that comes from the neck part, I believe.

If you look here, there is a picture of it (cooked) and the recipe.

crossroad

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:15 am
lkwdlady wrote:

Do most people use garlic in chicken soup? Maybe that will add something. I wouldn’t want it to taste garlicky though... just to give it a little more flavor.

I never used to use fresh garlic but now I think a soup would taste bland without. It adds so much flavor!

raich

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:16 am
lkwdlady wrote:

I put in 2-3 garlic cloves, and stick them in the mesh bag with the herbs so that they get pulled out and tossed. For sure adds flavor, but not particularly a garlicky flavor. More just savory and rich.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:24 am
Thank you. For now my soup is already cooking on the stove and I don’t have garlic aside for garlic powder and frozen garlic cubes.
Next time I will try with fresh garlic.
Appreciate all the suggestions here!

advocate

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:31 am
I'm going to be very brave here. Even use my screen name.

Yes, I do. And I feel embarrassed.

But now it's what my kids are used to, and if I leave it out, they don't think it tastes like my soup!

Chicken thighs - skin on, and then remove and degrease.
onion
parsnip
sweet potato
carrots
celery

soup mix...

I used to put turnip and zucchini, but kids didn't like it. Matzo balls almost every week, occasionally noodles (this week! pro-MB child away!)

I might try the beet....

Good shabbos to all!

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:36 am
advocate wrote:
I'm going to be very brave here. Even use my screen name.

Yes, I do. And I feel embarrassed.

But now it's what my kids are used to, and if I leave it out, they don't think it tastes like my soup!

Chicken thighs - skin on, and then remove and degrease.
onion
parsnip
sweet potato
carrots
celery

soup mix...

I used to put turnip and zucchini, but kids didn't like it. Matzo balls almost every week, occasionally noodles (this week! pro-MB child away!)

I might try the beet....

Good shabbos to all!

Thanks for sharing! It sounds good! It must be what kids like. Caterers even use soup mix all the time so apparently people do like the flavor. I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics