Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What to make for Shabbos day??

Nomad

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 8:05 pm
Ok, so Ive been married amlost 4 years and I have only invited people over for Friday night because I cant figure out what to make for shabbos day. This is getting ridiculous - so I was wondering if anyone knew recipes I could make for shabbos day that can be served room temperature or cold?? I know how to make cholent and kugel for the day and thats it.
Help!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 8:08 pm
wine for kiddush and challah, of course.
gef fish or fresh fish. if you do zecher le'mann, yhou need to make the eggs and or chpped liver.

salads.

the cholent, as you said.

dessert. like ice cream. mmmmmm

want to practicfe on me ? lol

red sea

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 8:12 pm
I cant answer as a cook, but as a guest I will tell you the nicest day meals I have been to served fish with loads of types of salads as the main then after that the cholent & cold cuts were like minor, then dessert.

ffbmom

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 8:14 pm
I only entertain on Shabbos day because I don't have to worry about the soup being hot and the meat and kugel not overdone, etc. The list is endless:
- Fish (even salmon served rm temp)
- dips: hummus, eggplant, etc.
- Egg salad
- cholent
- cholent kugel (flour, water, oil)
- I put eggs in the cholent and they're yummy sliced for entree
- chicken cutlets; turkey (I use turkey breast- cranberry sauce and onion soup mix); cold cuts; meatloaf; pickled brisket (not all of these at the same time, just some choices)
-Kugels like squash or apple or noodle
- sesame noodles
- tons of different salads, you pick
- cut up fruit in season; chocolate cake or your favourite

Easy to entertain this way because everything is done in advance

Best of luck.

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 8:16 pm
I also hate shabbos day meals. I feel like you have to work much harder to make good food. if I have guests I usually do a big first course - fried gefilta fish, fresh salmon or smoked salmon, chatzilim, chummous, egg salad, any fresh salads you like, and follow with cholent, maybe kugel and cold cuts.

you can do chopped liver instead of fish in the first course.

if we have no guests we often just have one course, cause thats what we prefer.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 8:39 pm
Zecher leman is not just one thing.

Helani

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 9:01 pm
Challah, gefilte fish, and lots of salads
Cholent, kugel, cold cuts or deli roll
Dessert-usually I do cake/cookies and fruit

Nomad

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 10:03 pm
these are good tips but I really have no recipes for any of these things - like what kind of salads would be good ?

and ffbmom - how do you make pickled brisket and what are sesame noodles? that sounds good!

Mommish

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 11:03 pm
Hannah! wrote:
But how are eggs and chopped liver zecher le'mon? I don't see the connection.

I don't know the connection, but I know you're supposed to have at least 2 cooked dishes. Maybe its something to do with that?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 10:53 am
Hannah! wrote:
But how are eggs and chopped liver zecher le'mon? I don't see the connection.

I'm a Lub and we don't do this, but I undertand that the mohn did not have the flavor of onions, so as not to disflavor a mnursing mother's milk. For that reason, people m ake egg salad or some such in its honor habbos by day.

Chopped liver is an extrapolation of that.

Lani22

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 11:36 am
Some salads I like to make-
Avacado salad-
2 avacados cut into cubes
Cherry tomatoes cut in half
hearts of palm cut into slices
Chopped red onion
dressing is some mayo, garlic powder. lemon juice and sugar
Red cabbage salad-
1 head of shreeded red cabbage
Sliced scallions
manderine oranges
craisons
pine nuts
dressing is orange juice, red wine vinegar, oil and sugar
Ceasar salad-
Chopped romaine lettuce
bag of croutons
dressing is mayo, garlic powder and dijon mustard
Asian Coleslaw
1 head of shredded white cabbage
scallions
sliced almonds
chinese noodles
dressing is rice vinegar, oil and sugar

I serve gefilte fish with 2 salads and dips like chumus and babaganoush
then I make a big chulent, shnitzel, deli roll, yerushlami kugel (great at room temp) and potato kugel from the chulent......

Hannah!

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 5:17 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 7:09 pm
so just searsch zecher. or mohn.

GetReal

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 7:19 pm
This is what I found, let me know if you want the sources before I spend ages typing them up.

Eggs - some are accustomed to eat eggs during the Shabbos morning meal. This is symbolic of mourning for Moshe Rabbenu who passed away on Shabbos. Some eat eggs during Seudah Shlishis for the same reason.

Eggs with onions:
1 - The Gemara expounds the obligation to eat three meals on Shabbos from the verses regarding the manna that the Children of Israel ate in the wilderness. The sages in Sifrei remark that the manna was able to imitate the taste of every food except for five, one of which was onions. So on Shabbos we eat onions, whose taste was unknown to the Children of Israel in the wilderness.

2 - The Hebrew word for onion is batzal, which is akin to the word b'tzel, which means "in the shadow of." The Zohar states that the "shadow [shelter] of faith" is the tabernacle of peace which we mention in Ma'ariv on Shabbos (ha-pores sukkas shalom - He Who spreads the tabernacle of peace."

it doesn't mention chopped liver, but I guess people make chopped liver with eggs and onions? I don't know, I don't eat it.

ihyphenated

Post Sun, Mar 30 2008, 12:31 am
here's what I made
Brisket
salmon (cold)
challa kugel/stuffing
roasted potatoes
salad
shnitzel (dh made it actually)
eggs+onions, liver (not cause we do it every week, just cause my husband likes eggs and onions and he happened to pick up liver at the market, lol! although now that I know its an inyan, its sooo funny that we happened to have both of them this week, right before I read this thread...)
challa
cookies for dessert

also, we live in an area with a number of different shuls so people trickle in to our shabbos lunches over a range of time so I serve coffee/tea and cinnamon buns for ppl to make kiddush and nibble on somthing before the meal really starts...

ihyphenated

Post Sun, Mar 30 2008, 12:32 am
also, you might want to consider asking your rov how to reheat things on the blech on shabbos morning- there are a range of opinions- especially to heat things on top of a chulent pot or urn many are more makel and this can expand your shabbos lunch options greatly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note