Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Shabbos at AirBNB

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 2:54 pm
My family is going on a road trip in a few weeks that will include a Shabbos stay at an AirBNB in a Jewish Community. We will be travelling over a week through multiple cities with minyanim.
Experienced Imas, can you please help me plan shabbos meals?
For those who have done this, what do I need to consider for shabbos prep?
We will arrive at our Shabbos location around 2.5 hours before Shabbos. It feels a bit tight, but I don't have many options.
If I order the whole shabbos at our Thursday city, how can I keep it warm over Shabbos? Is that possible? Will I need to do a cold food Shabbos?
I'm not so comfortable doing Shabbat.com as we don't know anyone in the city and it feels a bit "shnorrer-ish" as we are a family of 8 age 12 and up, no little kids.
help. please.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 3:00 pm
Bring a hot plate and/or crockpot

librarygirl

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 3:01 pm
Many ovens are self clean. If you can get there 4 hours before shabbos you can self clean the oven and heat the food in it.
Otherwise I would bring a hot plate and burner, warm the food on the burner and leave it on the hot plate over shabbos.

Bring strong tape to tape the fridge light and to cover any motion sensors. You might need small magnets to tape the fridge door or outside doors with sensors.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 3:03 pm
Please be aware of many problems associated with AirBnbs over Shabbos:
smartlock on the front door
motion sensors for lights both indoors and outdoors
alarms that need to be disarmed, smart appliances such as fridge / freezer that turn on/off according to usage, AC units that work with sensors, etc. etc.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 3:05 pm
AYLOR, but what I have done is to double wrap disposable pans of food beforehand and stick them in the oven, turn off the oven before Shabbos (if there's an issue with a light then wrap everything in towels).

For Shabbos day, either plan to serve things cold or room temp (grilled chicken, pasta salad, real salads, noodle kugels exc are good options), or bring along a crockpot to make Cholent in.

pause

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 3:05 pm
librarygirl wrote:
Many ovens are self clean. If you can get there 4 hours before shabbos you can self clean the oven and heat the food in it.
Otherwise I would bring a hot plate and burner, warm the food on the burner and leave it on the hot plate over shabbos.

Bring strong tape to tape the fridge light and to cover any motion sensors. You might need small magnets to tape the fridge door or outside doors with sensors.

The light used to be the only issue on Shbs with fridge. Screw out the bulb and you're good to go. Today's days most appliances are a lot more complicated and their temperature regulation responds to your actions. Many rabbanim hold that such an appliance is problematic to use on Shbs.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 3:07 pm
You can bring a plata or crockpot but not really super necessary. For friday night stick food in oven to heat up, if it has a timer that turns it off turn to a low temp till you are ready to eat. (double wrap the food if you can't kasher oven)

I would get

For both meals: Challah, dips, dessert, ready made salads.

for friday night: chicken or meat or meatballs, kugels or rice.

For shabbos lunch - either a ready made cholent you can throw into crockpot or on plata, or cold cuts and/or schnitzel. Personally we always just stick to cold food in those situations but depends how much space you have for stuff.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:33 pm
Thank you so much for your ideas! I will iyh bring a hot plate. Can handle that.

Sounds like I should try to move up my schedule to be there earlier than 2.5 hrs b4 shabbos.

For those sensor and other type issues, how do you recommend I bring this up with the owner? Or should I do so at all?

sarahmalka

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:43 pm
We have done the same as out-of-towner with double wrapping disposable pans and then eating cold or room temp for lunch. I also bring timers and/or shabbos lights, and night lights for the kids. Heavy tape is a good idea for the fridge light. I haven't come across motion sensor lights at the air bnbs we have stayed at but sure you could ask. Same with the key issue, it's always been an actual key and not an electronic keypad. Don't forget disposable dishes, napkins, cutlery, cutting board and knife, and fresh sponge or shabbos scrubber.
Don't worry OP it's totally doable!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics