Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Moving tips!!

lovingmommy3417

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:04 am
Hi! Iyh we are moving to our first house and I'm looking for all the tips and tricks for moving! We haven't had to move in a long time so we have a lot more stuff than the last time I moved and it's also the first time I am using a moving company to move everything.
Also has anyone tried moving a chest freezer with stuff in it? Is it crazy to try it?

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:11 am
lovingmommy3417 wrote:
Hi! Iyh we are moving to our first house and I'm looking for all the tips and tricks for moving! We haven't had to move in a long time so we have a lot more stuff than the last time I moved and it's also the first time I am using a moving company to move everything.
Also has anyone tried moving a chest freezer with stuff in it? Is it crazy to try it?

The movers will usually tell you all furniture (freezers) need to be empty.

Put stickers on you boxes by floor. Per room sounds nice but its just going to be confusing for the movers.

When you are half way done your house - you are not - your are 1/4 way done. Its that random stuff at the end that is hard and stressful

If you didn't use something in at least six months THROW IT OUT!!!!!!!!

Hatzlocha

N'sMom

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:46 am
Prepare a box (or two) of the things you will need in the first 24 hours and take that with you in the car. Linens, pajamas, change of clothes for each person, basic toiletries, tissues, siddur, coffee... whatever your personal necessities are. That way when you are exhausted from the move you can go to sleep without having to look for those things in the mountain of boxes.

lfab

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:20 pm
-I packed a small overnight bag with pajamas and 1 outfit for each person for the next day. Also, basic toiletries such as soap, shampoo, toothbrushes etc so you can shower. After a day of moving you'll feel dusty and want to clean up before bed.
- if you can, try to have everyone (but especially kids) sleep elsewhere the night of the move so you don't need to rush to get all beds made the first night.
- on that note pack up bedding from each person's current bed and place in a bag labeled with their name (I used the bags that quilts come in) so when you get to the new house everything is they'd and you just put on the beds.
-as you pack label boxes by which room you want them to go on. Use color coded labels like thesehttps://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079ZBKW4P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_DZJBTM32FZQT1C7C8DF9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 and label each box on the top and at least 2 sides. When you get to the house hang a paper with the corresponding label on the door to each room so movers know where everything goes. It won't be perfect but will get 85% of the stuff in the right place and make it easier for you to identify what goes where after the movers leave.
-invest in wardrobe boxes, worth every penny for the time it saves you.
-buy stretch wrap https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0.....RRand and use it to secure things like cutlery in the trays that go in the drawer, wrap bins of toys so they don't open during the move, keep together separate pieces of an item (like we used it to hold together a bunch of curtain rods we took with us or the parts of our baby gate).
-as much as possible decide start you want to go where so you can quickly direct movers and not have to start making decisions during the move.
-prepare some snacks, water bottles, etc for you and movers so you don't forget to eat on moving day.
-And lastly make sure you keep a few pairs of scissors or box cutters accessible so you can open boxes when you get to the new house. Last thing you want is to have to run out and buy a pair because you packed them all!

Hatzlocha!

preciousmommy

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:30 pm
Following!

SnowLeopard

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 1:36 pm
To do list:

Turn on water service, tenting for termites if needed, wifi, gas service (if needed), home security, clean air filters, paint, change locks, gardener, mail forwarding, exterminator, dryer vent vacuuming, change addresses (drivers license, voter registration, bank, insurance), check mezuzahs, set up mortgage payments, install safe, kasher kitchen, home insurance

Hatzlacha!

lovingmommy3417

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 7:03 pm
Thank you everyone! I'll appreciate more tips if anyone has!

mominwb

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 7:10 pm
Every room and boxes that belong in that room get the same color sticker .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics