Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Does apple crisp freeze well?

girliesmommy

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 11:16 am
I usually make the Oatmeal Apple Crisp from the Spice & Spirit cookbook. Does anyone know if it freezes well? Or, do you know of another easy dessert to make for about 75 people that can freeze well?

ss321

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 11:19 am
girliesmommy wrote:
I usually make the Oatmeal Apple Crisp from the Spice & Spirit cookbook. Does anyone know if it freezes well? Or, do you know of another easy dessert to make for about 75 people that can freeze well?

not familiar w/ that particular recipe, but YES apple crisp DOES freeze well. I freeze it "raw" then take it out and bake it as needed, I find it tastes less freezer burnt that well.
just double wrap it.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 12:04 pm
is it good cold or only hot, after freezing ?

ss321

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 12:09 pm
if by cold you mean cooked then put in the fridge then eaten, of course....I just find for some reason it doesnt taste as freezer burnt if you freeze it raw, works better than making tons, baking them, freezing, THEN rewarming, (or in your case, just putting in the fridge straight from freezer), that always tastes freezer burnt 2 me

girliesmommy

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 5:44 pm
My goal was to make something that I don't have to worry about cooking fresh right before the event. There are so many things like chicken, fish, salads, etc. that have to be made within 2 days of the event, so I'm looking for something that I can make now, and forget about and just defrost when I need it.

mom7270

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 5:47 pm
I also make it and freeze it raw... and it tastes fresh. I would serveit hot though I find that it gets soggy sitting in the fridge

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 7:46 pm
What about ice-cream pie - get pie crust, semi-melt ice cream, spread one flavour then another on top, decorate with choc syrup if you want, and refreeze. you can do these weeks in advance, and then you just take out and serve.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 7:47 pm
any such frozen confection can be made well in advance.

ss321

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 8:03 pm
girliesmommy wrote:
My goal was to make something that I don't have to worry about cooking fresh right before the event.

well then I think that the apple crisp is a great idea for a dessert that can be frozen.
you can also freeze cookie doughs. either in ball shapes already, or just a giant wad of dough and take that out. that saves time, and cookes are great for bulk. or you can use the dough of s/ tlike choc chip cookies to make "blondies" which = a makeshift cake.
girliesmommy wrote:

There are so many things like chicken, fish, salads, etc. that have to be made within 2 days of the event,

how bout meatballs? those can be prepared and frozen and taste GREAT? just an idea for a fleishig item that can be frozen quite easily.

morahg

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 8:23 pm
Apple crisp and meatballs (especially in some type of sauce) both freeze beautifully. Just make sure they are tightly covered to avoid freezerburn (freezing in a non frost-free freezer is the best, if possible).

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 8:32 pm
ss321 wrote:
how bout meatballs? those can be prepared and frozen and taste GREAT? just an idea for a fleishig item that can be frozen quite easily.

yes, of course, but we were speaking of desserts

ss321

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 8:35 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
ss321 wrote:

yes, of course, but we were speaking of desserts

lol yes im aware. but I was responding to this specific post by the OP:

girliesmommy wrote:
There are so many things like chicken, fish, salads, etc. that have to be made within 2 days of the event,

koolmother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 8:58 pm
y dont u make somehting like a chocolate mousse, or a ice cream pie and you wont even have the headache of baking it and keeping it fresh you can make any of these frozen desert in advance

girliesmommy

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 2:37 am
Thanks for all the suggestions. They all sound great, except that I am not looking to bake 5 or 6 apple crisps right before the event, nor am I looking to bake thawed cookie dough - even if it was prepared in advance!! I want something I can make today and forget about until next week.

The ice cream pie sounds great, except ready-made kosher products (pie crusts and ice cream) cost a fortune here, so each 9 inch pie would cost me about $30!

I decided on the Truffle Lovers Chocolate Brownies from KBD, but I still need one more dessert that I know will freeze well!

morahg - do I understand you correctly saying that you've frozen apple crisp (ALREADY BAKED) and it was fine to just thaw and serve?

cookielady

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 7:31 am
girliesmommy, can you get tea biscuits and richs whip? I have a dessert that freezes well and is great, also easy to make, then just remove from freezer and serve.

ss321

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 8:23 am
how bout this? I dont know if its from a recipe book or what, my aunt makes this all the time
brownies (I use duncan hines because I just dont believe in spending x to make home made brownies if the store bought package is so much better anyway, but hey if youre worried about price or whatever, go to town and make your own), take them out of the oven let them cool down a BIT (not too much, or the choc chips wont melt) for about 5 min, cover the whole top w/ marshmallow fluff, then pour rice krispies on top of that, then about 1/2 bag of choc chips (maybe more? thats for like an 8x8 I think square pan...) on top of the rice krispies. let the choc chips melt, then cover w/ aluminum foil and put in the fridge for as long as you want! best served cold, like w/ ice cream or something! that can be made really far in advance. I dont c why you cant freeze it and then take it out of the freezer like an hour before, so its not hard as a rock, then cut up and serve....

gluck

girliesmommy

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 12:53 pm
Thanks ss321! That sounds yum. I doubt that I have enough marshmallow fluff to make a bunch of these, but I think I'll try that for Shabbos this week.

Cookielady, I can get both of those!! Can you post the recipe? Thanks a ton!

OldYoung

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 1:21 pm
when I was pregnant I used to make doubles of everything and freeze. I used to make the kbd cranapple torte (I think it's called?) bake it and then freeze it. it is VERY delicious! and I think it looks fabulous and isn't that hard to make.. the only catch is reheating it- you've gotta get a good temperature so that it gets hot, but the bottom crust part doesn't burn.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 11:32 am
I rewarm it so it gets its crisp again
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics