Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Lakewood bubble
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:09 pm
amother [ Lightgreen ] wrote:
Where in Lakewood does she live and where does she send her kids to school?? This sounds very extreme.

You are right. It is extreme and no I will not post the neighborhood or the schools. Because again, it quite possibly has less to do with Lakewood and more to do with her own personal meshugas.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:11 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Not really, there is almost no MO in Lakewood, unlike the 5t.

I have MO neighbors. If anything the five towns is basically MO with a little bit of yeshivish, not diverse like I said.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:18 pm
All the people derisively saying Lakewood isn't diverse...do you live here?

I live in Lakewood and I do not think it’s diverse. For example, where I grew up (a different town in the tristate area), I went to a very mainstream frum school with what I consider a diverse crowd. The parents ranged from fathers who were roshei yeshiva to moms who didn’t cover their hair. I do not believe there is any mainstream school in Lakewood that would accept a kid whose mom doesn’t cover her hair. Just one example.

Simple1

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:29 pm
All the people derisively saying Lakewood isn't diverse...do you live here?

I do. Diverse is relative. Brooklyn is very diverse. You have women in pants and no head covering who keep kosher. I don’t mean one or two, but whole bunches of them with shuls and schools catering to them. Lakewood is not like that. The baseline is yeshivish. Yes you do have a wide range of yeshivish from modern to super yeshivish. But the schools and neighborhoods are pretty similar with narrow differences. Not like in Brooklyn where you’re all over the place YOB, Prospect, Yeshiva of Flatbush etc.

And I’m not being derisive. Just saying it like it is. Lakewood is great place for the right person.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:31 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
I have MO neighbors. If anything the five towns is basically MO with a little bit of yeshivish, not diverse like I said.

Not true. There are so many yeshivish kids in my kids schools, the difference is its a pressure to be "modern" unlike lakewood where its a pressure to be "yeshivish". But yeah, there is still way more diversity here(five towns) than lakewood- in lakewood while all dif there is a range- here it just goes from extreme RW (and yes, there is!) all the way to MO

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:39 pm
This post made me laugh!

As someone who grew up out of town and lives in a (different) out of town community... Yes, I am indeed concerned that your children may not grow up open-minded.

That being said, my guess is that there are many of your neighbors who would see that as a positive thing. But I completely disagree with that, I don't feel it's a Torah hashkafa (but I'm not a rabbi).

There are positive ways to give your children a worldly upbringing. Go on road trips and visit other communities for Shabbos. Spend time visiting (kosher) museums or reading books to your children and teaching them about all kinds of different things. Talk to the non-jewish cashier about how her day was or learn the names of your cleaning lady's kids and ask how they are doing. Etc. Basically showing them that kavod habriyos and taking outside of your dales amos is a value.

wiki

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:06 pm
Are there any modern Orthodox schools in Lakewood these days, since Betzalel closed down?

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:10 pm
I’ve lived in may different places and while Lakewood is diverse it isn’t established diversity ie there aren’t any MO Shuls or communities or JCC etc.

Also we don’t have much interaction with non Jews as peers vs employees unlike in most other places where your kids may play together or at least play near each other in the park.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:37 pm
I don’t think other cities l are more diverse.
Maybe more open. Maybe diff types. But not more types living together.

Here you have chassidish (all types), super yeshivish, yeshivish, working, jpf, sefardi (diff sects) all living together and davening together.

It may not be more modern diverse. Or secular diverse.
But what is the definition of diverse?
It’s not MO diverse.
But many MO communities don’t have the Mix I mentioned above.

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:43 pm
I don’t live in Lakewood but I am going to blow all of your minds.
My next door neighbor is not Jewish. Crazy - huh? And here’s where it really get wild…. Our kids play together. Boys and girls together. Boom 💥 mind blown!!!

ETA-and everyone treats each other with respect.

(❤️,Sienna)

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:44 pm
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
My next door neighbor is not Jewish. Crazy - huh? And here’s where it really get wild…. Our kids play together. Boys and girls together. Boom 💥 mind blown!!!

(❤️,Sienna)

Wowoooooww! Not THATS diverse
(Sarcasm)

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:46 pm
amother [ Brass ] wrote:

(❤️,Sienna)

You score the highest in the diversity dept 😇

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:48 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
I cant beleive I forgot to mention drive another 5 min and you have chassidim.
Do you have this type of diversity in 5 towns? I'm not talking about a chassid/yeshiva guy here or there I'm talking large groups of each type...

We have this in Bayswater. We have chassidish, black hat, jut plain frum, chabbad, sefardi, bucharian….I’m sure I’m leaving people out. You very much have this in certain areas of the 5T as well. I think people forget that each of the five towns is it’s own place and has its own character, and sometimes they can’t all just be lumped together.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:49 pm
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
I don’t think other cities l are more diverse.
Maybe more open. Maybe diff types. But not more types living together.

Here you have chassidish (all types), super yeshivish, yeshivish, working, jpf, sefardi (diff sects) all living together and davening together.

It may not be more modern diverse. Or secular diverse.
But what is the definition of diverse?
It’s not MO diverse.
But many MO communities don’t have the Mix I mentioned above.

True. But they don’t purport to be diverse. I’m not bothered that Teaneck isn’t diverse and I’m not bothered that Lakewood isn’t. But I am bothered to hear people SAY that Lakewood is, unless what they mean is, it’s a diverse RW community. That I can believe. But religion aside, it is a community that seems to value homogeneity more than others, if only judging by the number of posts on here who question fashion/school/design/ trends with such minute specificity To ‘fit in’ (aka be carbon copies of their friend and neighbors) that doesn’t exist in a community (like Teaneck) There’s much more of a sense in Lakewood of sticking out like a sore thumb (as viewed by me, someone who doesn’t live there but has family there) that I haven’t experienced in other communities.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:50 pm

This is so not true!! The 5T is a very diverse area. It’s not even one community, it’s literally at least 5 different communities.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:51 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
True. But they don’t purport to be diverse. I’m not bothered that Teaneck isn’t diverse and I’m not bothered that Lakewood isn’t. But I am bothered to hear people SAY that Lakewood is, unless what they mean is, it’s a diverse RW community. That I can believe. But religion aside, it is a community that seems to value homogeneity more than others, if only judging by the number of posts on here who question fashion/school/design/ trends with such minute specificity To ‘fit in’ (aka be carbon copies of their friend and neighbors) that doesn’t exist in a community (like Teaneck) There’s much more of a sense in Lakewood of sticking out like a sore thumb (as viewed by me, someone who doesn’t live there but has family there) that I haven’t experienced in other communities.

Disclaimer voice to text

Yes thank you I visit Lakewood several times a month to visit my grandparents and when I run into a store I feel like I have a light bulb on me and people are going to ask what my story is. I especially when I wear flip-flops and you know I'm not married so my hair is uncovered and it's got well it used to be purple it's now like a blue green so yeah it's not a comfortable feeling when I walk into Lakewood courtyard and feel like people wonder why I'm there.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:58 pm
When I lived inFar Rockaway it felt very diverse. A breath of fresh air.

Dallas TX and Baltimore are also very diverse.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:59 pm
wiki wrote:
Are there any modern Orthodox schools in Lakewood these days, since Betzalel closed down?

A lot of people send to shalom

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:01 pm

Maybe modern yeshivish not MO.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:13 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
This post made me laugh!

As someone who grew up out of town and lives in a (different) out of town community... Yes, I am indeed concerned that your children may not grow up open-minded.

That being said, my guess is that there are many of your neighbors who would see that as a positive thing. But I completely disagree with that, I don't feel it's a Torah hashkafa (but I'm not a rabbi).

There are positive ways to give your children a worldly upbringing. Go on road trips and visit other communities for Shabbos. Spend time visiting (kosher) museums or reading books to your children and teaching them about all kinds of different things. Talk to the non-jewish cashier about how her day was or learn the names of your cleaning lady's kids and ask how they are doing. Etc. Basically showing them that kavod habriyos and taking outside of your dales amos is a value.

I learned this from my super sheltered, doesn't want any negative influences mother. She always schmoozes with the cashiers in every store we go to, and is careful to greet them by their names. Being sheltered, and having kavod habriyos are two separate things.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries