Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you give your kids hotdogs?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you give your kids hot dogs?
Often  
 24%  [ 59 ]
Never  
 10%  [ 26 ]
On occasion  
 64%  [ 157 ]
Total Votes : 242

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:37 pm
Please post which brand of the nitrate free hot dogs you use, and if you know where I can get them in Monsey.
Thanks

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:01 am
4pom wrote:
Care to share. What are salmon hot dogs and where to get them? Please

As for me and hotdogs.
I tend to agree with the poster who said the nitrate- free healthier type are better than mac and cheese.
Imnsho

As to how often we have them: Its my back up meal. So depends on the month. Could be once a week. Could skip a month.
And we skip the bun and use romaine or home made spelt bread.

A&B Salmon Trout Franks
In Monsey at A&B or in some groceries in the freezer section.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 11:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:06 am
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
Please post which brand of the nitrate free hot dogs you use, and if you know where I can get them in Monsey.
Thanks

Grow and behold online is the best. Expensive

Empire used to make better ones but no longer avoid the preservatives.
To be honest Since empire stopped I just look at the label’s- and get the best options and serve far less frequently than I used to
Hopefully someone can share better info.

4pom

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:06 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
A&B Salmon Trout Franks
In Monsey at A&B or in some groceries in the freezer section.

Thanks!!

pause

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:30 am
I'd love to say never but fact is they're great on the grill and sometimes served as a special supper for rosh chodesh, birthday, or erev Pesach lol. I end up serving them two-three times a year.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:16 am
Yes, too often.

FTR, I haven’t eaten them in years.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:30 am
Once every couple of weeks. Only two of my children actually touch them. I only buy nitrate free. Usually I'll make burgers or something else and just put a couple hot dogs on as well. It's definitely not the main dish when I make it.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:33 am
I do love hot dogs and sausages and deli meat. I don't mind serving as a Thursday night dinner with corn on the cob and all the fixings. Haven't had one in ages but I do like them (we buy all beef).

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 3:00 am
Never. I think it goes against vemeod shamartem.

Btw, I do let my kids have regular cake and ice cream (no more than once a day). I feel like hotdogs are in a different category though.

If you do give your kids hotdogs, please cut them up in little pieces so the kids won't choke. They are one of the main choking hazards in kids 5 and under.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 3:57 am
It's a pretty regular supper here. Cut up into halves or quarters for the babies.

Cookin4days

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 4:17 am
Only have a newborn but I’m sure once he’s older I’ll serve him for dinner occasionally I love a good hotdog in a bun but rarely have since my husband thinks they’re gross and refuses to touch them
They were my number one craving during pregnancy and I caved at 40 weeks and honestly was sooo worth it

Nothing like a hot dog on the grill during a summertime bbq

jewishmom6

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 9:09 am
Crookshanks wrote:
It's a pretty regular supper here. Cut up into halves or quarters for the babies.

same. its one of my kids faves.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 9:19 am
Only in the summer because I get lazy to cook and I grill often. It’s for the days that I am busy and don’t have time to make a decent supper. But once the summer passes I serve it maybe once during the rest of the seasons.
What brands are nitrite free?

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 9:57 am
My kids like sausages, but not really hot dogs. If we make a bbq we might have them, or on vacation. I wouldn't object to the occasional one on health grounds, more my kids don't like them. I wish they did! We used to eat a lot of tival hot dogs but not so much anymore.

We get fresh or frozen sausages, they are more like burgers in contents then hot dogs. Basically beef and spices and maybe some breadcrumbs. Grow and behold have very similar looking ones.https://www.growandbehold.com/sweet-italian-beef-sausage-raw.

Although I always make my own burgers, ready made ones are usually not great.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:00 am
Salmon hotdogs sounds interesting- I wonder if you can get them in Israel.
What do they taste like, sort of like smoked salmon?

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:16 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Salmon hotdogs sounds interesting- I wonder if you can get them in Israel.
What do they taste like, sort of like smoked salmon?

It has a smoky undertone, but isn’t really fishy.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

githen03

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:24 am
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
Thanks

I get the A&H ones (refrigerated), they come in a reduced fat version and a regular version. Meal Mart also makes them in a frozen version in an orange box. Don’t know where they sell them in Monsey, sorry.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:25 am
In the summer - maybe every couple weeks usually sundays by family bbq - one kid won’t touch them will have burger instead. During school year well have maybe 2-3 times if I’m desperate for easy supper- either pan grilled or chopped with scrambled eggs. I eat my hotdog with diced tomatoes in the bun yum

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:29 am
Hot dogs are healthier than cake, cookies, candy, pizza, pasta, potatoes, etc.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:34 am
Every once in a blue moon. My kids all like franks 'n' blanks (buy the mini puff pastry squares; cut each in half; smear with mustard; cut franks into quarters; roll puff pastry around each. Bake about 1/2 hour on 350 single layer on cookie sheet) and I make it as a treat every so often.

Sometimes I'll throw 1 or 2 franks onto the grill when I'm doing chicken or meat, for those who want a bit of spice.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics