Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn bath solution
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:00 pm
I need help figuring out how to bathe a newborn!

I have a master bathroom with a shower and a sink that wouldn’t fit a baby tub, no counter space for a tub either.

And another bathroom down the hallway, with a small sink as well, and a bathtub.

Is there a solution other than tub-in-tub and me on the floor, it’s somewhat hard for me, plus lifting a wet baby out of tub and getting up from your knees often feels unsteady.

How do they bathe babies in hospitals, is there some kind of tub on a stand solution or smth?
Id prefer something in my bathroom so as not to walk down the hallway with the baby.

emzod42

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:01 pm
I did the kitchen sink at that age. Will the tub fit over your kitchen sink? You could buy a freestanding baby tub on a stand, but then you have to deal with filling and draining.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:09 pm
I give my babies a bed/sponge bath for the first couple of weeks & then I bathe them in the regular bathtub.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:22 pm
I do a shower. I hold the baby with a sacrificial towel (so that he isn't slippery) and then I shower myself as well. The baby loves being held against me, and sometimes surprises me by latching when I accidentally get the position right haha.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:24 pm
How small is the bathroom sink? Then have small inflatable pillows you can put in a small sink.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:26 pm
I would do a baby bath on the shower floor. Have a dry towel on the bathroom floor. When babys clean transfer to the dry towel. Stand up. Pick up wrapped cuddly baby.

You could also put 2 plastic chairs in your shower stall- one for you to sit on and one for baby bath to sit on.

Teomima

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:28 pm
In the sink. That's how we bathed the babies in the hospital, too. I would also take my babies into the shower with me (while wearing a t-shirt to provide some traction) but that's a pro move you might not be ready for as a first time parent with a newborn.

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:33 pm
They don’t submerge babies in water in hospital they only sponge bath.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:35 pm
Kitchen sink or baby bathtub inside regular bathtub , or baby bathtub on kitchen counter . Of course you don’t budge from any of these places so baby won’t have a chance of falling.

lucky14

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:39 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I would do a baby bath on the shower floor. Have a dry towel on the bathroom floor. When babys clean transfer to the dry towel. Stand up. Pick up wrapped cuddly baby.

You could also put 2 plastic chairs in your shower stall- one for you to sit on and one for baby bath to sit on.

I also was going to suggest doing the baby bath in the shower.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:51 pm
I use this seat in the kitchen sink till they can sit with minimal support in the bathtub

https://www.amazon.com/Summer-.....=8-19

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:54 pm
None of these would actually work; kitchen is on a different floor, with a double sink, which is essentially two small sinks that wouldn’t fit any tub either; and no counter space around for a tub.

Bathroom sinks, as I said, are too small to fit a baby tub.

Shower floor isn’t nogeia —its like using a bathtub only even more uncomfortable and dangerous in terms of getting off the floor.

Someone mentioned doing sponge baths in bed— how does that work?

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:58 pm
You can bathe the baby directly in the (clean) kitchen sink or get the cushiony kind of bath inserts that will fit into a small sink. Maybe the brand is boon. I usually do the first few baths in the sink and then put them in a baby tub in the bathtub. I sit on the side and lean over. Not so comfortable but it works.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:04 pm
I used these instead of sponge bath. Can be done anywhere
https://www.amazon.com/Johnson.....r=8-5

bunchagirlies

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:10 pm
I bathe my babies until almost 2-3 months directly in my bathroom sink. wash sink out with soap and rinse, and fill with warm water. simple!
the bathroom sinks are smaller than kitchen sink, and perfect shape. I just hold the baby under her/his head and use my other hand to soap and scoop up water to rinse.

Teomima

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
None of these would actually work; kitchen is on a different floor, with a double sink, which is essentially two small sinks that wouldn’t fit any tub either; and no counter space around for a tub.

Bathroom sinks, as I said, are too small to fit a baby tub.

Shower floor isn’t nogeia —its like using a bathtub only even more uncomfortable and dangerous in terms of getting off the floor.

Someone mentioned doing sponge baths in bed— how does that work?

You don't put a tub in the sink. You put the baby in the sink.

questionanswer

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:21 pm
I bathe my babies in a dedicated dish tub for this purpose (you know the kind you put in your sink to soak dishes in). I put a washcloth on the bottom and cradle the head and neck in my hand for a new born and soap using the other hand. Use just enough water to cover the diaper area.

I use this until the baby outgrows the wash tub as it makes bath time so much faster. - my huge 9 month old is having trouble fitting in so we are almost done. By now he sits.

I so this on my bathroom sink countertop. But if you have no room you could totally do this on your kitchen countertop or inside the kitchen sink.

I like these better than baby bath tubs as I feel the baby just fits better. Also easier to store under bathroom sink or tucked in somewhere bc so small.

It literally takes 3 minutes to bathe baby....that's with splash time!

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:31 pm
We got a baby bath that sits on top of the regular bath, so you're not bending down as much, and they're not in the big bath.
You can also get a basic baby bath and buy a stand for it to stand on.
I also looked into getting a changing unit that converts to a bath-the changing mat lifts up and there's a bath under it.
Practically, I mainly used a baby bath with my first. By the time no.2, 3 etc came along I usually just dipped them in the bath before I put the older siblings in. It was much easier and quicker than preparing the whole baby bath.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:39 pm
Teomima wrote:
You don't put a tub in the sink. You put the baby in the sink.

You can get a bath seat for the sink

mummy85

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:18 pm
I was 'bathe' mine in the kitchen sink. Drop some soap on him, make sure the water is good temp and put baby under faucet, rub soap around and rinse and done.
Just like they do in the hospital (at least in Israel)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics