Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Los Angeles hotel, food & attractions
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:59 am
amother [ Rainbow ] wrote:
When will you be in LA?

Would love to go after Tisha Bav.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:53 pm
Your girls are old enough to enjoy Beverly Hills and window shopping on Rodeo Drive. The Grove is also a major tourist site with the Farmers Market but honestly isn't really all that interesting.

Santa Monica and Venice are obvious places to visit. There is also an outdoor street that is closed to traffic - again this is more of a place to window shop so I am not sure whether you want to make it all about shopping.

If they are at all interested in art, there are wonderful museums highlighting every kind of art including niche types. There is also Descanso Gardens which is in Pasadena if you want to take drive to Pasadena and see what is there. The Huntington Museum and gardens is first rate. I used to take visitors to visit the Gamble House which is a prime example of Craftsmen style architecture from Old Pasadena but your kids are probably not interested in that kind of thing. I have also taken people to see the Museum of Tolerance which is on Pico.

It is just interesting to get a cup of coffee and people watch on Rodeo or the Grove or Santa Monica. If you have a car it is worth driving up the Pacific Coast Highway and looking at the magnificent coastline. There are places where you can pull over and access the beach but the drive itself can be spectacular.

I don't know what current COVID protocols are but many people get tickets to watch a television show being taped.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 4:58 pm
Everything that Amarante said. I would also do Malibu and hike Point Dume. That is our absolute favorite place to go on any day off. There’s a fish grill there so you can have the whole day and go out for lunch/dinner. Personally, I’d say go to Disney over Universal. You can also go to the Santa Monica Pier (and ride the Ferris wheel if that interests you). Speed boating at Marina del Ray
Beach days
Segways

ImStrong

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 3:10 pm
Im also looking for things to do in California, so I'm posting here.

Looking for cheap/free stuff I can do with my husband
Universal is not for us and museums are also not for us.

would love to get some suggestions

Also what do you say about the millennium Hotel?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 8:03 pm
amother [ Rainbow ] wrote:
Residence Inn is a dump. The Sofitel hotel is a bit of a walk, but very nice.

I just want to say I am currently in the Residence Inn. It is not a dump. It is nice, clean, regular Residence Inn. Convenient and perfectly acceptable. The Carlyle is super tiny, also clean, but set up like a motel. The rooms open to an outside walkway. We weren’t comfortable there. If you want nicer, the Marriott Beverly Hills is directly across from the Residence Inn.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 8:19 pm
Los Angeles requires proof of vaccination for indoor activities including restaurants so I don’t advise visiting unless you are vaccinated.

In terms of free, your options would be outdoor activities like the beach or hiking the trails. What do you enjoy doing?

ImStrong

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 8:58 pm
Amarante wrote:
Los Angeles requires proof of vaccination for indoor activities including restaurants so I don’t advise visiting unless you are vaccinated.

In terms of free, your options would be outdoor activities like the beach or hiking the trails. What do you enjoy doing?

I wouldnt mind outdoor trails, hikes, beaches...

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 10:07 pm
ImStrong wrote:
I wouldnt mind outdoor trails, hikes, beaches...

Santa Monica and Venice beaches are very popular tourist sights. If you have a car you can drive up Pacific Coast Highway. If you go far enough there is a very delicious kosher restaurant.

There are interesting hikes all over Los Angeles - depends on your skill level.

There is obvious just walking around Beverly Hills or The Grove.

However, depending on when you come it can be extremely hot to walk around during the day and you wouldn't be able to relax in a cool air conditioned place easily unless you went to one of the large malls. I don't think they require proof of vaccination yet although masks are required.

amother
Freesia

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 10:17 pm
Amarante wrote:

Which restaurants? I live in LA and I’ve never been asked. We do need to wear masks indoors though.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 10:24 pm
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
Which restaurants? I live in LA and I’ve never been asked. We do need to wear masks indoors though.

Sorry - City Council passed the regulation last week but they haven't drafted the specific law. I would imagine that is imminent and would be passed unanimously as soon as it is sent to the City Council.

Since I don't eat at indoor restaurants the timing wasn't relevant to me. I can't imagine being in a closed space in which there are a significant number of people who aren't wearing masks. I am fully vaccinated but wouldn't risk it - indoor restaurant dining just isn't that important to me.

This occurred on August 11, 2021

The Los Angeles City Council voted 13-0 today to have the city attorney prepare an ordinance requiring people to show proof of at least partial vaccination against Covid to enter most public indoor spaces in the city, including restaurants, bars, gyms, concert venues, movie theaters and even “retail establishments.”

Window

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 12:02 am
Venice canals is really pretty. However, there’s nowhere to sit down there, so it’s not so pleasant to stay for too long

ImStrong

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 7:34 pm
Thank you for your suggestions

What do you think of the Millennium Hotel is it okay?
I dont need fancy just neat and clean

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 7:38 pm
ImStrong wrote:
Thank you for your suggestions

What do you think of the Millennium Hotel is it okay?
I dont need fancy just neat and clean

Never heard of it, so I googled.
It's in downtown LA, so not near any shuls our food.

As to the hotel quality, check tripadvisor etc

ImStrong

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 7:31 pm
amother [ Garnet ] wrote:
Never heard of it, so I googled.
It's in downtown LA, so not near any shuls our food.

As to the hotel quality, check tripadvisor etc

Is it near the chabad house? because I saw it on the chabad website

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 7:39 pm
I don't know where chabad house is there, but I guess you can googlemap driving from one destination to the other
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics