Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What do you have for parve dishes in your kitchen. Confused!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 1:19 pm
I only need parve for pasta or potatoes basically if I want to use it for milk and the next day meat. How many dishes do you have for parve? How do you deal with it. I don’t have a third sink. Do you have a separate dish mat in the sink for parve?

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 1:21 pm
I have all my baking stuff and some pots / frying pan for parev. Basically as an in between and it’s useful because I can then use the food for meat or dairy.

I don’t have 3 sinks my parev dishes get piled next to the sink and once the meat or dairy is done I rinse out the sink and wash the parev. (Everyone holds differently regarding different sink materials etc etc. my mom has a separate bowl insert for her sink).

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 1:25 pm
A set of pots for pasta and rice, and pyrex storage for them. A few random utensils.

I have a basin from the days we only had 1 sink.

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 1:30 pm
How often does it happen that you want to use leftover pasta for something of the opposite status? I don’t have enough storage for keeping a whole extra set of things. IMO if you don’t have a third sink you’ll never be able to keep it kosher anyway.
I have a couple mason jars I keep pareve for things like preserved lemons. I cut them with a plastic knife on a plastic plate so I can use the lemons for both. And a mortar and pestle which is just rinsed with water. That’s about it.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 1:44 pm
All my bakeware is pareve. I have about 5 pareve pots of diff sizes and a great big skillet. Also colander, mixing bowls, various utensils like potato masher and a few settings of flatware for serving stuff I want to keep pareve. Also plastic storage containers and a couple of serving platters that I never got around to committing one way or another. I cook as much as possible pareve and use fleishik only for stuff that’s actually fleishik. That way I can use foods for what ever I want, and I do.

Mixer, pareve. Blender, food processor, immersion blender, all pareve.

I have separate gloves and scrubbies for pareve but drain the utensils in the milchik rack.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 1:46 pm
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
How often does it happen that you want to use leftover pasta for something of the opposite status? It.

Never, because I always cook pasta in pareve.

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 1:47 pm
How often does it happen that you want to use leftover pasta for something of the opposite status? I don’t have enough storage for keeping a whole extra set of things. IMO if you don’t have a third sink you’ll never be able to keep it kosher anyway.
I have a couple mason jars I keep pareve for things like preserved lemons. I cut them with a plastic knife on a plastic plate so I can use the lemons for both. And a mortar and pestle which is just rinsed with water. That’s about it.

My husband's lactose intolerant and my daughter doesn't eat meat really.
If I make a pot of pasta, my daughter will eat half of it with cheese and my husband will have the other half with leftover chicken for lunch, so it's pretty important to us to have pareve.

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 1:51 pm
I have all my baking supplies as pareve. Cookies sheets, muffin tins, mixer, measuring cups, mixing bowls, spatulas, a few knives, measuring spoons, a Dutch oven, a big soup pot, small egg pot, glad containers to store cookies/brownies, a handheld blender, a box grater, a sieve, a spiralizer, .

When I redo my kitchen I will be putting in 3 dishwashers! I hate having a pile of dirty stuff waiting around for me to wash. And I hate washing dishes but love baking.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 2:10 pm
I cook almost everything pareve except for actual meat and dairy. All baking is pareve. I make all my vegetables and salads and side dishes pareve.

life is fun

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 3:49 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
I cook almost everything pareve except for actual meat and dairy. All baking is pareve. I make all my vegetables and salads and side dishes pareve.

Same here.

All soups, pasta, compot etc. Everything that's not meaty is cooked parev. So plenty parve pots and containers.

I own one milchig pot and frying pan.

Washing up I do in the sink with a trivet.

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 4:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I only need parve for pasta or potatoes basically if I want to use it for milk and the next day meat. How many dishes do you have for parve? How do you deal with it. I don’t have a third sink. Do you have a separate dish mat in the sink for parve?

I have one large parve pot that I use for soup that I want to stock up in the freezer. To wash it, I scrub it on the counter w soap, then rinse in either sink while holding it in my hands. For potatoes and pasta, if I davka want it parve, I cook it in disposable aluminum pans.

SwissAlps

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 4:16 pm
The one thing I keep pareve is a cutting board and most of my knives. I have a few pareve sheet pans but only a fleishig oven so I anyway can't use that food with milchigs. I keep them pareve though, because I'm dreaming for a pareve oven and I was told that while the food gets affected from the fleishig oven (meaning can't eat it with milchigs) the pans remain pareve because they never were in the oven together with fleishigs.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 4:18 pm
Rutabaga wrote:

And here I thought I was the only one!
You know those threads about "I sliced an onion with a fleishik knife"? Doesn't happen. Even if my veggies are destined for the chicken soup pot, they get peeled and sliced pareve. The same onion can go half in the soup and half to top a pizza.
To me, it's worth the investment in storage space and utensils.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 4:28 pm
I cook everything parve unless it has any actual meat or dairy in it. I only have a few milchig pots and pans, all the rest are parve. As are most of my baking supplies and equipment.

As for my sink, I only have one sink anyways. Nothing gets left soaking in the sink. I wash it out between types of loads and use inserts along the bottom.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 4:40 pm
I have parve roasting pans
Parve knives, cutting boards
Parve bakeware
Parve pyrex
Parve mixing bowls that I also use to serve parve with
I have 2 ovens 1 meat and 1 I keep parve
On the small occasions that I do make dairy in the oven I use the parve oven and then self clean it

If I want to add cheese on parve roasted veggies I melt it in the dairy microwave
Or I make dairy in a pot or pan

I have 2 sinks and keep the dairy seperate
After all the pare is clean
I wash dairy with cold only
Then I clean the sink with very hot water

Last edited by amother on Tue, Jun 29 2021, 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 4:40 pm
Pareve utensils:

all my peelers are pareve and one pareve knife.

My food processor is pareve as is my mixer. I also have a dairy mixer for cheesecake.

My baking pans, mixing bowl and measuring cups and spoons are pareve.

I have one large pareve pot for sauteing processed vegetables which I bag and freeze
to use as base for soups.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 5:32 pm
Pots, frying pans, utensils( spatula, ladel,serving spoons, knives,etc) cutting board- everything is white
Sautéed veggies, kugel, soup, compote, eggs,
Easiest when cooked pareve- u can use for any meal.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 5:54 pm
And I only have one sink. I use racks or don't let the pot touch the bottom. I have a lot of baking stuff, pots, ladle, potato peeler, other stuff.
ETA: Mixer, food processor, the list goes on.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 5:56 pm
Another vote for using pareve for everything that's not specifically dairy or meat. Here's what I use the most.

Pots and pans of all sizes
Knives, cutting boards
Wok
Small utensils -- peelers, garlic press, measuring cups and spoons, mixing spoons/ladles/spatulas, etc
Lemon zest/squeezer
Mixer
Stick blender
Mixing bowls
Colander

And, of course, lots of pareve plastic containers for fridge or freezer.

Anything likely to be needed (pots, knives) we have a few for meat or dairy as well.

But the only things I don't have in pareve are my pizza pans, ice cream maker, or barbecue fork or meat slicer.

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 6:21 am

Plenty people keep perfectly kosher kitchens with just one sink, never mind three.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen