Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Bais rochel satmar BP memories
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 2:07 am
amother [ Camellia ] wrote:
Anybody had Mrs. Bornstein?

I really enjoyed having her. Accounting was one of my favorite subjects. Funny story, she met a relative of mine & asked to pass on regards to me by the “favorite high school English teacher” saying that I’ll for sure guess (almost 20 years later!). And guess I did! Such a fun loving yet devoted and caring teacher who knew her subjects well!

By the way, I really appreciated seeing along the years… even if only for the break of the typical school work, writing notes and test taking. I most definitely think it is an important skill, even though I give most of my alterations out to a seamstress for technical reasons. I also know of many who still sew clothing or expensive curtains, linen etc. as a hobby. It is definitely expensive to sew these days (but doing alterations on your own can save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars a year… ask me, I know).

I still look like a Satmar graduate, (although I’m on here), but don’t send my kids to that school.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 6:47 am
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:
@slategray( sorry I don’t know how to reply to a message). I think we’re classmates or grade mates. It was so much fun and entertaining looking through all these messages. I still look like a satmer graduate. I don’t Send my children to this Mosed. We moved away from Boro Park. I enjoyed school very much and have great memories bh”.
So many teachers names that was mentioned I know.
Some were better and some Worse.
I crushed Rivky Friedman who’s sister Chana Hessy (if I remember correctly) taught their as well. I had the privilege of having her twice. In 6th and 8th grade.

Haha, that’s cute.
We definitely weren’t classmates in the 6 th grade since Rifky Friedman wasn’t my teacher then.
But I gave away enough info for you to really narrow down who I am….
Let’s see if you can guess…

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 7:36 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
They are sisters! She mellowed a lot over the years. She was scary in my times- but my daughters not so much!
Btw, she (Mrs. margolis) lost her husband in the beginning of Covid Sad

What grades are your daughters in? How much has the school changed since you graduated?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 7:50 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
What grades are your daughters in? How much has the school changed since you graduated?

Younger elementary grades. I don’t know- just more approachable maybe? Not so intimidating, that’s for sure!

I graduated in ‘08. In my times there weren’t all these P3 classes (granted the programs weren’t there!) very open to getting counseling or therapy for the girls which I think was unheard of in my times! Curriculum has also changed from what I can tell. I know in high school they covered different subjects when my younger sisters were there vs my times.
I must say I think it’s a great school with a very nice curriculum.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 7:56 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Haha, that’s cute.
We definitely weren’t classmates in the 6 th grade since Rifky Friedman wasn’t my teacher then.
But I gave away enough info for you to really narrow down who I am….
Let’s see if you can guess…

Friedman girl or married Friedman? I think I know who you’re talking about, but I can’t remember her name!

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 8:03 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Younger elementary grades. I don’t know- just more approachable maybe? Not so intimidating, that’s for sure!

I graduated in ‘08. In my times there weren’t all these P3 classes (granted the programs weren’t there!) very open to getting counseling or therapy for the girls which I think was unheard of in my times! Curriculum has also changed from what I can tell. I know in high school they covered different subjects when my younger sisters were there vs my times.
I must say I think it’s a great school with a very nice curriculum.

Is it more approachable for you as an adult or for your kids as students?

And a great school would allow the students to graduate with an accredited diploma so while its great that they made some changes (and trust me, I struggled getting my ged and college degree), it seems like they still have a long way to go for girls to really get an education (not to mention extra curriculars, advanced classes, etc). Plus, there is the chumash and rashi which I would love for them to add but I will take an accredited diploma to start.

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 8:06 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Friedman girl or married Friedman? I think I know who you’re talking about, but I can’t remember her name!

I'm almost sure Rivky Friedman, both her maiden and married name is Friedman.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 8:10 am
Is it more approachable for you as an adult or for your kids as students?

And a great school would allow the students to graduate with an accredited diploma so while its great that they made some changes (and trust me, I struggled getting my ged and college degree), it seems like they still have a long way to go for girls to really get an education (not to mention extra curriculars, advanced classes, etc). Plus, there is the chumash and rashi which I would love for them to add but I will take an accredited diploma to start.

Both

Regarding your second point- no. This is what the Rebbe ztzl wanted- We should NOT be going to college and getting a degree for many reasons. So we get a decent education to manage this world. Regarding chumash- rashi that was the rebbes shittah as well- with mekores and reasoning.

If you chose to get your ged & college degree- that’s between you and Hashem, your husband/father & morah derech. But the schools shittah was to give us a good education for what’s needed to get on in this world in other positions not needing a degree.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 8:15 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Both

Regarding your second point- no. This is what the Rebbe ztzl wanted- We should NOT be going to college and getting a degree for many reasons. So we get a decent education to manage this world. Regarding chumash- rashi that was the rebbes shittah as well- with mekores and reasoning.

If you chose to get your ged & college degree- that’s between you and Hashem, your husband/father & morah derech. But the schools shittah was to give us a good education for what’s needed to get on in this world in other positions not needing a degree.

And that is the reason why many of my classmates and siblings chose not to send their kids to this school. Kids these days are more exposed to the outside world and have access to internet and whatnot so we want to give them a good foundation in both Jewish and secular education that Satmar doesnt offer (and we are seeing many Satmar kids go off the derech). The Satmar Rebbe may have wanted certain things that would have been ok and acceptable in his times but the world has moved forward and its no longer ok to just give the girls (and even boys) a basic education. They need more and that is what I would love for the school to recognize and update accordingly.
What are you going to do if your girls decide to get a college degree? And why shouldnt they have the option to do straight out of high school without having to take the ged?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 8:53 am
Asking sincerely.. For those who still consider themselves satmar, how do you square being on the Internet with your Rebbe forbidding it?

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 2:28 pm
if you ask that question then you dont know Satmar. Satmar encompasses a broad sprectrum. And many if not most dont follow the Rebbe blindly. (as opposed to many other chassidus like Belz, Gur etc)

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 3:04 pm
Graduated 2001, hiiii grademates/classmates

I remember pre school being in the 49thstr building, 1-4 was in 53rd str building and 5-8 plus high school on 14th ave. Then everyone moved into the building on 14.
My boys are in the cheder/yeshiva
My girls not. Suffice it to say that I was very disappointed in the lack of discipline shown to the machers of a certain class who were bullying my daughter and therefore decided to switch.

I can list most teachers up until high school, then it's a blur. Too many names to remember
First grade: Mrs Pollak Yiddish and Miss Aurbach/Muller English
Second grade: מרת פריינד who was always late every single day and Mrs Kramer English.
Third grade: Mrs Eiger Yiddish and Miss Schwimmer English (don't remember who she married)
Fourth grade: Miss Teitelbaum (don't remember who she married) and Mrs Eichenstein English
Fifth grade: Miss Leifer (forgot who she married) Miss Luger/Friedman English
Sixth grade: forgot Yiddish, miss goldman/knoblich
Seventh grade: Ruchme Halberstam/ Miss Schick/Lipshitz
Eighth grade: Yiddish I forgot but she had red hair and English we finally had deparmental: Mrs Knoblich, miss friedman/Jaffe (Mrs. Margolis' neice) and Mrs Raab

Never liked school, had no friends and to this day I can't figure out why. Guess I wasn't a macher or had machers for parents. To prove my point I was a nobody: when I went to Mrs Meisels at PTA to see what can be done about the bullying situation, she herself asked me if I was a student of the school. Ummmm, yesss, and when I started naming the girls from my class and grade she still didn't remember me.

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 3:22 pm
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:

I remember pre school being in the 49thstr building, 1-4 was in 53rd str building and 5-8 plus high school on 14th ave. Then everyone moved into the building on 14.
My girls not. Suffice it to say that I was very disappointed in the lack of discipline shown to the machers of a certain class who were bullying my daughter and therefore decided to switch.

I can list most teachers up until high school, then it's a blur. Too many names to remember
Second grade: מרת פריינד who was always late every single day and Mrs Kramer English.
Third grade: Mrs Eiger Yiddish and Miss Schwimmer English (don't remember who she married)
Fourth grade: Miss Teitelbaum (don't remember who she married) and Mrs Eichenstein English
Eighth grade: Yiddish I forgot but she had red hair and English we finally had deparmental: Mrs Knoblich, miss friedman/Jaffe (Mrs. Margolis' neice) and Mrs Raab

Never liked school, had no friends and to this day I can't figure out why. Guess I wasn't a macher or had machers for parents. To prove my point I was a nobody: when I went to Mrs Meisels at PTA to see what can be done about the bullying situation, she herself asked me if I was a student of the school. Ummmm, yesss, and when I started naming the girls from my class and grade she still didn't remember me.

Hi grademate! Oh boy! I'm dying of curiosity who you are.
1st grade: Mrs. Ashkenazi/Mrs. Spitzer
2nd: Mrs. Halbertstam (Rivky Halberstams aunt)/ Mrs. Bornstein--famous mrs bornstein--
3: I was in your class
4: Mrs. Stein/Miss low-Mrs. Horowitz
5. Miss Stein-the one with corn braids and bunch of sisters/Miss Kramer
6:Mrs. Greenfield/Chana Hessy friedman (jaffe)
7: In your class again
8: in your class again- red head is Roizy Lemberger sister
This is way to interesting
I hope I'm not outing myself here.
Was your sixth grade teacher Miss Teitelbaum (chany teitelbaums sister)? I vaguely remember something abt her teaching sixth grade when we were in school.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 4:21 pm
Yessss!! Miss Teitelbaum is Chanys sister. We had a goodbye party for chany in 9th or 10th grade, can't remember when she moved to Israel for a while.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 4:25 pm
Right! Roizy Lembergers sister was our 8th grade teacher

To this day I always remember Mrs steinwurzel in her nasaly voice: what is a madman, NO THAT IS NOT A MADMAN,
Up and down the rows asking each and every student.

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 4:50 pm
Lol. This is too funny. I'm trying to think which of my grademates or classmates am I chatting here with on imamother Laugh. No. I'm not saying who I am. Neither will I give any hints. So you do remember my first post 12 grade color war?! I still find myself singing it sometimes. Thinking back I think it was an adorable chant.

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 5:25 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Asking sincerely.. For those who still consider themselves satmar, how do you square being on the Internet with your Rebbe forbidding it?

The satmar rebbe should first take care of the internet in his family ( his einikel the grand designer rbg design all day on social media) then he can come to us

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 5:27 pm
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:

I'm sorry about your experiences. And your daughters as well. The girls could be cliquish in my grade as well and it was hard when they divided us every few years. They let us be together for the last 4 years in high school without dividing us again so it got nicer after but everyone still had their little cliques they relied on. And the school never really dealt with bullies so its nice that you stood up for your daughter and pulled her out. I hope she is happier in her new school. And I hope the school learns to deal with it better.

That said, I think I had Mrs Raab as well. Was she Mayer as a girl? Chayala Mayer?

And was Goldman/Knoblach (Malky?) a big macher in satmar camp being a 9th grade teacher one year and head teacher another year. She was a red head (and I had a huge crush on her). Or was this her blonde sister?

I also remember Esti Rosenthal from Edibles by Esti teaching at the school at one point. I wonder if any of the teachers are on imamother today. If they are, they should come say hi and tell us what you taught and which years Hi

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 5:28 pm
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
The satmar rebbe should first take care of the internet in his family ( his einikel the grand designer rbg design all day on social media) then he can come to us

Plz, if you wanna discuss politics open a s/o. Let's keep this for memories.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 5:28 pm
And that is the reason why many of my classmates and siblings chose not to send their kids to this school. Kids these days are more exposed to the outside world and have access to internet and whatnot so we want to give them a good foundation in both Jewish and secular education that Satmar doesnt offer (and we are seeing many Satmar kids go off the derech). The Satmar Rebbe may have wanted certain things that would have been ok and acceptable in his times but the world has moved forward and its no longer ok to just give the girls (and even boys) a basic education. They need more and that is what I would love for the school to recognize and update accordingly.
What are you going to do if your girls decide to get a college degree? And why shouldnt they have the option to do straight out of high school without having to take the ged?

Funny thing both my sisters who needed prerequisite hours of observing etc. for their college degrees did it in our school with Mrs. Margolis signing off on the hours.
Page 4 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics