Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Why do Chassidishe ladies wear
1  2  3  4  Next

Ima Piano

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:11 pm
Trench coats.
And in the summer??

I mean I'm chassidish but I don't understand it.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:14 pm
Chassidish ladies do not wear trench coats in the summer.
There are a very tiny few extreme that always wear an overcoat when going out. They're like the shal ladies. But it's not a chassidish thing & very extreme.

realsilver

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:15 pm
Ive only seen it in meah shearim.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:17 pm
It’s only a group of very few women who do. It started when they began wearing it on top of chasuna clothes and Simcha clothes as not to attract attention . Eventually it led to them taking on and keeping this Chumrah for themselves in the summer weekdays too.
These same women wear black shtrimp and they add a mock turtle neck to any crew neck top. Nobody is expecting you and me to do it.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:06 pm
I want to know why they wear black skirts and color blocked tops. Usually the blocks of color run in a very unflattering direction, that makes you look bigger than you actually are. Color blocking is 5 years out of fashion in the rest of the world.

When I'm on the bus and I'm bored, when going through the Chassidish neighborhoods, I try to count how many color blocked outfits I see. I usually lose track. I'd say at least 8 out of every 10 outfits.

Marathon

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:07 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I want to know why they wear black skirts and color blocked tops. Usually the blocks of color run in a very unflattering direction, that makes you look bigger than you actually are. Color blocking is 5 years out of fashion in the rest of the world.

When I'm on the bus and I'm bored, when going through the Chassidish neighborhoods, I try to count how many color blocked outfits I see. I usually lose track. I'd say at least 8 out of every 10 outfits.

I live in lakewood im not chassidish and color blocked is very in style all the jewish stores are selling them

honeymoon

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:12 pm
I'll repeat what other poster said already to dismiss any notion that this is common in chassidishe circles. It is a tiny fraction of very extreme chassidishe women who do this. While I do hyperventilate and start sweating when I come across them from time to time, I look the other way, as they do not bother anyone when they choose to wear it in 90 degree weather.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:15 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Why is it important for you to mention that chassidim wear outdated clothing? It doesn’t even come into this thread. I feel like you mock chassidim whenever you get an opportunity to do so.

icebreaker

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:21 pm
I don’t really think this is a halachic question lol.

liveandlove.ima

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:26 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

wow. you must be really looking out for fashion in chassidim. im glad someone cares LOL

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:32 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Why is it important for you to mention that chassidim wear outdated clothing? It doesn’t even come into this thread. I feel like you mock chassidim whenever you get an opportunity to do so.

ChillPill ChillPill ChillPill

You think everyone mocks chassidim, no matter what they say. If I say it's raining outside, you'll get offended. It's not a good look on you.

I thought this was a thread about why "certain groups" wear X type of clothing. I get really bored on the bus. I can't read tehillim because I get motion sickness - therefore I look out the window.

I just happen to think that color blocked clothing is a very unflattering trend, and I don't see the attraction in it. Maybe they wear it because it's unflattering, who knows? What

Would you like to discuss why I wear ankle length denim skirts and flowered tops? We can discuss D/L fashion choices, and I promise I won't accuse you of attacking me.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:33 pm
icebreaker wrote:
I don’t really think this is a halachic question lol.

It is if you don't know the difference between halacha, minhag, and chumra.

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:36 pm
Yep seen them around.
I get curious but never would have the nerve to ask why are you wearing a coat lol

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:42 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
ChillPill ChillPill ChillPill

You think everyone mocks chassidim, no matter what they say. If I say it's raining outside, you'll get offended. It's not a good look on you.

I thought this was a thread about why "certain groups" wear X type of clothing. I get really bored on the bus. I can't read tehillim because I get motion sickness - therefore I look out the window.

I just happen to think that color blocked clothing is a very unflattering trend, and I don't see the attraction in it. Maybe they wear it because it's unflattering, who knows? What

Would you like to discuss why I wear ankle length denim skirts and flowered tops? We can discuss D/L fashion choices, and I promise I won't accuse you of attacking me.

No, I don't think so. But you're constantly mocking and belittling chassidim whenever the chance arises. Sometimes it's subtle and sometimes not so, but the mocking is there.
Don't tell me to chill when speaking up.

gonewiththewind1

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:49 pm
To hide their body shape.

From experience the women who do this have a lot of body shame brought on by religious OCD.

gonewiththewind1

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:50 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Hmmm I thought I was being trendy.

Goody2shoes

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:52 pm
My gosh every time I see them I literaly sweat buckets for them.
I wonder if this is a thing to be admired as an extra chumra. The halachos and chumros were not created for us to hurt ourselves with. These ladies are clearly suffering

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:55 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
No, I don't think so. But you're constantly mocking and belittling chassidim whenever the chance arises. Sometimes it's subtle and sometimes not so, but the mocking is there.
Don't tell me to chill when speaking up.

Seriously? Search my post history, and find where I do that. I'm not going to sit here and let you say shtussim about me that isn't true. Post quotes, or apologize.

nchr

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:56 pm
While some individuals do, it is not a standard clothing item for mainstream chassidishe women.

Was it raining? Did you see someone in a raincoat to protect them from getting wet? I would put on a regular raincoat if it was pouring rain and I was outside because I don't find a me'il to be practical.

Last edited by nchr on Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:57 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Seriously? Search my post history, and find where I do that. I'm not going to sit here and let you say shtussim about me that isn't true. Post quotes, or apologize.

I've reported some of your posts afew times and last week one of your posts that I reported got deleted. I'm not going to search your history, but the chassidim bashing is there. You usually manage to be subtle with it but it's there.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics