Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
If it was up to you where should they go? So
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 8:07 am
Spinning off from other thread
I'm getting the point that lakewood monsey and Florida don't want them, in your opinion where should they move?

Disclaimer, I am not from Brooklyn. I am European and have been living in an expensive city in USA for the past 6 years , we are looking to move to a cheaper area hopefully within the next 5 years where we can afford a house.

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 8:15 am
Same as ppl who live in lkwd now and can’t afford housing and kids aren’t in schools.
Where should the go also?

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 8:19 am
They should start their own communities, maybe adjacent to other established frum communities? Not take them over.

ora_43

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 8:39 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
They should start their own communities, maybe adjacent to other established frum communities? Not take them over.

Starting your own community from scratch is about a zillion times harder than moving to an existing community. If there were a central Frum Housing Board telling people where to go, this might be a good approach, but it's not realistic for a regular couple that can only decide where they personally live, not everyone else.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 8:40 am

This is so sad

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 8:41 am
What a horrible statement ( not op the people who are saying it ) THEM? Just because you live somewhere doesn’t mean you own the city/ town. Funny how Brooklyn is considered entitled, self centered and cold. Yet based on the behavior of others seems it’s not them hmmm. This lack of ahavas yisroel is so disturbing to see, I’m sure hashem is proud of all of you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 8:45 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
What a horrible statement ( not op the people who are saying it ) THEM? Just because you live somewhere doesn’t mean you own the city/ town. Funny how Brooklyn is considered entitled, self centered and cold. Yet based on the behavior of others seems it’s not them hmmm. This lack of ahavas yisroel is so disturbing to see, I’m sure hashem is proud of all of you.

I definitely didn't mean to say THEM in a bad way.... I take that back. I will be in those shoes too soon iyh

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 9:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Spinning off from other thread
I'm getting the point that lakewood monsey and Florida don't want them, in your opinion where should they move?

Disclaimer, I am not from Brooklyn. I am European and have been living in an expensive city in USA for the past 6 years , we are looking to move to a cheaper area hopefully within the next 5 years where we can afford a house.

I live in Monsey. Builders and developers definitely do want people to move out. They're not stopping to build all over town for prices that basically only people from Brooklyn can afford. Multi family homes are being built where 1 family homes used to be. As long as new houses and developments will be built, people will continue to move out, regardless if the town infrastructure can handle it or not. By now main Monsey is a city with horrendous traffic, and not the countryside anymore.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 9:13 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:

She didn't mean them in a bad way. No one is behaving badly, (maybe besides for the people that are moving out and are so mad that schools won't accept them..) what people don't understand is that Monsey simply isn't made to be a city and cannot handle the amount of people moving out. The schools are bursting at their seams, there literally isn't place for another desk. They don't need to start a new community, but at least try to work on starting a new school instead of expecting to be served on a golden platter & being set on sending only to a certain school that has no room for another kid anymore & being all insulted when they don't accept their kids.

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 9:51 am
Until you have to drive 2 miles down rt 9 or central ave. And It takes you 1/2 hr you can’t understand how bad it is…
It is impossible to comprehend the level of traffic on residential streets. Sometimes downtown is just a square of gridlock.

I think the blame is a lot on developers and city planners.

Houses are built on cul de sacs and dead ends leading to already packed roadways which doesn’t open up any new right of ways.
Houses are packed together and variances are given for multi family housing were one house uses to city.
Often developers aren’t held responsible for building infrastructure around their new developments (sidewalks, turning lanes, wide streets, curbs).
Developers should be required to contribute to new schools and mikvos by the community.

To give an idea - you end up with 40 ppl (in 20 town homes) moving to a dead end st that used to have one home with no sidewalks on the main road.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 9:59 am

Sounds just'ike the anti semites

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 9:59 am
ora_43 wrote:
Starting your own community from scratch is about a zillion times harder than moving to an existing community. If there were a central Frum Housing Board telling people where to go, this might be a good approach, but it's not realistic for a regular couple that can only decide where they personally live, not everyone else.

If people slowly move further and further out, these necessities crop up slowly and steadily. Small groceries pop up here and there to fill the demand, playgroups open up, etc. If the people who move are willing to put in the effort, things happen. The current situation is because the newcomers don't want to put in any effort to build up communities. They want everything catered to them on a platter, without consideration how it affects anyone else. And then they come up with complaints and demands how the community is not accommodating them. I.e. How come there are enough sidewalks for them to walk on, or how come the schools are being so obnoxious, or why isn't the bus stopping literally at my front door, etc.

They move in with the Brooklyn-like attitude of having all conveniences at their doorstep, and act in a blindfolded manner how much they're forcing inconveniences upon everyone else. If they'd move with an attitude that they're willing to roll up their sleeves to build up communities, there would be a host of other options, and a host of welcoming neighborhoods for them.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 10:01 am
The Frum community has to face the fact that BH we are growing by leaps and bounds and IYH will continue to do so. We have to branch out and start to build infrastructure to support this anticipated growth verses trying to put Band-Aids on the issues that come up.

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 10:02 am
Better far better to put the blame where it belongs and direct problem solving accurately- developers and municipalities must expand infrastructure accordingly along with increased tax base and population.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 10:08 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:

Or realistic people that see what's happening to the communities?
It's pretty selfish to move to a new community and expect to be served on a golden platter without being willing to lift a finger or put in an ounce of work.
I know someone that recently moved. The school asked them for an amount of money to go towards the building fee for the new building that's being built to accommodate new kids. She is boiling mad at the school for having the "chutzpah" to demand money from her so they should be able to accommodate her kids. With this attitude, stay in Brooklyn.

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 10:10 am
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
Better far better to put the blame where it belongs and direct problem solving accurately- developers and municipalities must expand infrastructure accordingly along with increased tax base and population.

But you can't do that in many places. These are towns with winding roads, and no coordination with how streets are set up. You just can't magically take one lane roads and turn them into three lanes. So many streets are dead end streets spilling into one main artery. There isn't any way to stretch or expand the roads.

Upgrading the sewer and water lines will cost the town a pretty penny. How do you think they'll fund that, if not by raising our taxes. Our taxes are already one of the highest in the nations (Rockland County), the population will just not go along with it.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 10:15 am

I think that people who say this obviously don't live here and don't understand the enormity of the problem.

Of course we need to start new communities! Isn't that what they do in Israel all the time? If we're comparing.

This has nothing to do with being unfriendly to frum people who want to live here (our own children likely will not be able to live in these communities either), it's simply about lack of space. You just CAN'T fit 200 people into a space meant for just 20 people. It's just not good for anybody (and yes, those of us who live here all know who the culprit is).

We have no problem if they build and build and build (kein yirbu!) but the infrastructure has to be able to support them. You can't build 100 townhouses without widening roads, without allowing land for shuls and schools.... which is what the problem is here. Selling townhouses makes somebody money, developing shuls and yeshivos and schools - probably not. So guess which one is getting built faster than the other?

If you think about it, you realize how much are priorities are so messed up and how little we question the status quo in the US, that of the almighty dollar. It's not about allowing more people, it's about allowing some people to make more $$$. And that's just messed up.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 10:17 am
The only reason anyone from Brooklyn would ever move to Monsey or Lakewood is Bec they got priced out. Why else would anyone want to move to either of those nasty places? Yuch!

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 10:20 am

Perhaps if your own fellow brothers & sisters are saying the same thing, then the complaints are valid and not anti-semitic?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 10:20 am

But you have this. You have people moving to Manchester (Lakewood) and new suburbs of Monsey.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating