Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
When people mess with the English language...
  Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next

hodeez

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 11:42 pm
My kids say "lottest" instead of "most" and I'm Pretty sure it's just to tick me off.

invisiblecircus

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 3:57 am
"Literally" when it's not.

"Then" instead of "than."

"Pacific" instead of "specific."

"I am sat" instead of "I am sitting"

"We are eating by the Rabbi tonight" instead of "We are eating at the Rabbi's house tonight."

ETA These are only annoying when said by native English speakers of course. I live in a country where I am not a native speaker and am constantly making mistakes!

Last edited by invisiblecircus on Tue, Aug 17 2021, 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

guest21

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:02 am
Could care less instead of couldn't care less.
My friends and I instead of my friends and me.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:19 am
Ok English is not my native tongue yet I don't understand the editors of Mishpacha and Ami... HOW MANY MISTAKES CAN YOU MAKE?! Really... In Dutch, I hate that lots of people are using random English words or use English grammar in Dutch sentences. Lots of people are using the word 'abusive' instead of 'misbruik' seriously why using an English word if there is already a Dutch word for it? And I can name more but you guys won't care because you are not Dutch.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:49 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
?

“I’m being in Orlando for Pesach, can anyone tell me where my husband can get a minyan?”
“I’m being a clown for Purim”
“Is anyone being in the country for shabbos? I need one thing from the city”

It’s a somewhat common error we see here. I’m sure it comes from a translation from another language.

fbc

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:56 am
"it was so fun!" Is another one I hear a lot...

essie14

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 8:01 am
"You don't must "
I see it on this site all the time.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 8:05 am
essie14 wrote:
"You don't must "
I see it on this site all the time.

Another translation.

freilich

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 8:33 am
hodeez wrote:
Defiantly instead of definitely
🤦‍♂️

Lol. This happens alot because of spell check LOL

Rosie89

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 8:40 am
I also hate when people say “I’m wanting to…” as in “I’m wanting to buy a midi dress.” Just say I want without the -ing.

fbc

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 8:49 am
watergirl wrote:
Another translation.

Yes! I worked with someone who was half Israeli half Argentinian, and she used this phrase frequently! It's definitely a translation thing.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 9:52 am
Starting a sentence with “was”. “Was really fun!” Just put the a word It in front. Was indicated a question.

mommy9

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 10:09 am
watergirl wrote:
“I’m being in Orlando for Pesach, can anyone tell me where my husband can get a minyan?”

It’s a somewhat common error we see here. I’m sure it comes from a translation from another language.

Exactly! Also, starting a sentence with "being that..."

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 10:18 am
guest21 wrote:

My friends and I instead of my friends and me.

That depends on whether you and your friends are the subject or object. My mother offered cookies to my friends and me. However, my friends and I were dieting, so we declined.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 10:48 am
I get annoyed by phrases like "on accident." No, no, no.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 10:59 am
My pet peeve has been 'comprised of.' But maybe it's time to give up the fight.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 11:05 am
Iymnok wrote:
Starting a sentence with “was”. “Was really fun!” Just put the a word It in front. Was indicated a question.

If it's in writing, online, that's another thing. Because internet. Actually, that's a book about how language evolves, Because Internet. The author likes a lot of stuff I don't but it's still a fascinating read.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Mon, Aug 16 2021, 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 11:11 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
, I hate that lots of people are using random English words or use English grammar in Dutch sentences. Lots of people are using the word 'abusive' instead of 'misbruik' seriously why using an English word if there is already a Dutch word for it? .

I feel the same way about Ivrit. And it's not just in informal conversation but in papers and books as well. It's one thing when it's a high-tech word that's become international, like "internet." There's a perfectly good word "mirshetet"--thank you, Avshalom Kor and Srugim--but "internet," like "telephone," is used the world over. But "relevanti"? "actuali"? "fehr"? "brekzim"? Ugh. Sounds like Anglo olim who make up words when they don't know the Hebrew one. The olim can't be faulted, but tzabarim can.

By the same token, old-time purists probably objected to words like "simpati," "protektzia" and "pancher" too. Daughters of the American Revolution probably shuddered in disgust when "shlep" "bodega" and the suffix "-nik" made their way into the American lexicon.

Languages, though we purists would like them to stay unchanged forever, are living things, and the people who use them make them what they are. Unless something drastic happens to cut off communication between peoples, languages will continuously influence each other. As every language has terms that other languages lack, the process of exchange enriches language and allows for more varied, colorful and nuanced expression. Having just one word for a given concept or object makes for dull reading. It's much more interesting to have an array of synonyms from which to choose, and if it takes borrowing from other languages to accomplish that, so be it.

seafood

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 11:21 am
ohmygosh wrote:
"Alot" drives me nuts.

It's two words.

Alot is interesting because the Yiddish translation for ‘a lot‘ is אסאך, which can be spelled in one word אסאך or in two words א סך. The two word spelling is less common but still correct. Maybe that’s where the confusion comes from.

seafood

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 11:22 am
watergirl wrote:

Probably Yiddish.
Page 2 of 11   Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next Recent Topics