Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
When people mess with the English language...
  Previous  1  2  3  4 9  10  11  Next

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 11:35 am
sfisch wrote:
Alot is interesting because the Yiddish translation for ‘a lot‘ is אסאך, which can be spelled in one word אסאך or in two words א סך. The two word spelling is less common but still correct. Maybe that’s where the confusion comes from.

If it were only Yiddish speakers I'd agree with that connection, but it's everyone.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 11:36 am
It feels like the right time to share this with the uninitiated. (re: alot)

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogs......html

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 12:17 pm
guest21 wrote:
Could care less instead of couldn't care less.
My friends and I instead of my friends and me.

This is so jarring to me. When people use me and him are going. Folks just take out the him and wouid you say me going Banging head Banging head

When I hear this spoken in a show or movie, I wonder if the character is being written as deliberately stupid or if the writer and actor are both illiterate.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 12:20 pm
Plonis wrote:
My 4th grade teacher gave us a spelling list to study one week. I will never forget the first two words:

1. A
2. Lot

She told us it was to remember that it is TWO words. I have never forgotten!

I learned all right is all wrong unless spelled as two words.

Along with

Ghosts scream eee in the cemetery
There is a rat in separate
Secretaries keep secrets
The principal is my pal to differentiate from principle which is a belief

And of course I before e except after c. Remember Alice. 😂

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 12:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
This is so jarring to me. When people use me and him are going. Folks just take out the him and wouid you say me going Banging head Banging head

When I hear this spoken in a show or movie, I wonder if the character is being written as deliberately stupid or if the writer and actor are both illiterate.

Similarly, there is a phenomenon called hypercorrection. "She never gave the book back to Martha and I." Back to I?

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 12:28 pm
Amarante wrote:
And of course I before e except after c. Remember Alice. 😂

I will never forget, my friend missed the word 'ancient' on a spelling test because of 'except after c.' I got it right because I relied on my hours of reading experience instead of the 'rules' teachers make for this unruly writing system.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 12:45 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Similarly, there is a phenomenon called hypercorrection. "She never gave the book back to Martha and I." Back to I?

Right - just do the same mental exercise if one is in doubt about what to use.

Similarly people get confused with it's versus its. I explained to someone (tactfully) that just sound out in your head whether you would use it is in lieu of it's and you will never get it wrong. He was grateful because many people don't want to make these kinds of errors - especially in formal communication.

My friend is a doctor and we are on the Board of my condo and he was always saying it's a "mute point" when he meant moot point. I again tactfully explained his error. I am mentioning that he is a doctor only because he is well educated and HE corrects me when I mispronounce drugs or have questions about interpreting medical statistics. Very Happy

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 12:48 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I will never forget, my friend missed the word 'ancient' on a spelling test because of 'except after c.' I got it right because I relied on my hours of reading experience instead of the 'rules' teachers make for this unruly writing system.

Absolutely as English is filled with the exceptions which is why you need to read to acquire verbal skills.

Ancient would be an exception unto itself because of the way it is pronounced so you would have to both read it and hear it spoken for it not to be problematic.

honeymoon

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 1:01 pm
essie14 wrote:
"You don't must "
I see it on this site all the time.

I sometimes say this as a reply to someone who says "I must do abc.." Its a colloquialism that's used when you want to sound stronger by using the same expression used by the person you are talking to. I think most people using this expression know its not grammatically correct but use it when they want to come across more emphatic.

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 1:10 pm
sfisch wrote:
Alot is interesting because the Yiddish translation for ‘a lot‘ is אסאך, which can be spelled in one word אסאך or in two words א סך. The two word spelling is less common but still correct. Maybe that’s where the confusion comes from.
'

nah. it's an extremely common error in English, perpetrated even by people who wouldn't recognize a Yiddish word if they tripped over it.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 1:21 pm
Amarante wrote:

And just as jarring as "between you and I."

penguin

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:04 pm
Quote:
"Alot" drives me nuts.

It's two words.

Not anylonger. I thought I saw somewhere that it's become accepted but that must have been one of the other things that annoys me, such as the misuse of decimate. I leave it to you to look it up if it interests you.

Last edited by penguin on Thu, Apr 07 2022, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:14 pm
When you substitute [A] for [B]: first of all, substitute for, never with. And second of all, [A] is the thing you are actually using, not the thing you are changing.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:19 pm
Oh, you weren't phased by that?

The word you're looking for is 'fazed.'

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:19 pm
The English language isn't even a real language anyway, it's three languages in a trenchcoat.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:21 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
When you substitute [A] for [B]: first of all, substitute for, never with. And second of all, [A] is the thing you are actually using, not the thing you are changing.

I wish I were hiring, your knowledge of this stuff is fantastic.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:24 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I wish I were hiring, your knowledge of this stuff is fantastic.

Aw...thanks! If you ever are, I might not say no to a remote editing gig.

fbc

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:27 pm
These are all fantastic Smile I love reading these posts!
A family member of mine, when wished a good day (or something of the sort) always responds "you too as well". Drives me up the wall!! I keep telling said family member that it's either "you too" or " you as well"... But no matter how many times I say it...🤦🏻‍♀️🤷

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:34 pm
And when I read that a color compliments something, I am always tempted to comment on what good manners the color must have. 😂😂

pause

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:35 pm
zaq wrote:
'

nah. it's an extremely common error in English, perpetrated even by people who wouldn't recognize a Yiddish word if they tripped over it.

Zaq, I hope you are a published writer. The visualization here is vivid!
Page 3 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  4 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics