Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
When people mess with the English language...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 9  10  11  Next

fbc

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 4:35 pm
Amarante wrote:
And when I read that a color compliments something, I am always tempted to comment on what good manners the color must have. 😂😂

😂😂😂

egam

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 4:37 pm
Oh boy. Grammar police is here again. 🤦‍♀️

sarab613

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 4:37 pm
I live in Brooklyn and whenever I hear that somone is "going to the country", I wince.
What country?
They aren't even going out of state.
How come people can't say "I'm going up to the mountains"
Mountains and country have the same amount of syllables.... Its not even harder to say.
K thanks for letting me vent

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 5:23 pm
egam wrote:
Oh boy. Grammar police is here again. 🤦‍♀️

The Grammar police are here again.
Wink

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 5:44 pm
sarab613 wrote:

Mountains and country have the same amount of syllables....

Same NUMBER of syllables. Use "number" when you're discussing something that can be counted as units: number of people, number of reasons, number of sins. Use "sum" for money. Use "length" for time. Use "amount" for things that can't be counted or measured in units: an amount of food, an amount of luggage (but a huge number of suitcases).

Mother gave me a sum of money that was expected to last me a reasonable length of time. I squandered it on an appalling number of frivolous cosmetic items and had to do an enormous amount of housework to make up for my profligacy.

egam

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 5:49 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
The Grammar police are here again.
Wink

When you move to my country of origin and start learning a new language as an adult, then we’ll talk. Until that time, до свидания.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 5:54 pm
egam wrote:
When you move to my country of origin and start learning a new language as an adult, then we’ll talk. Until that time, до свидания.

My hat is figuratively off to you.
You may have heard this:
What do you call someone who knows how to speak 3 languages?
- Trilingual.
What do you call someone who knows how to speak 2 languages?
- Bilingual.
What do you call someone who knows how to speak 1 language?
- American.

One of us is an American. Evidently it's not you.

honeymoon

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 5:59 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
You may have heard this:
- Trilingual.
- Bilingual.
- American.

I like this! I happen to be American and trilingual! King

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 6:00 pm
honeymoon wrote:
I like this! I happen to be American and trilingual! King

Exception that proves the rule? The truth is, to a degree many of us are bilingual or more. The question is how well we speak our languages.

honeymoon

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 6:02 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Exception that proves the rule? The truth is, to a degree many of us are bilingual or more. The question is how well we speak our languages.

True dat. I speak only two of them fluently. I harbor a dream of learning several more languages.

honeymoon

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 6:07 pm
It drives me crazy when people say "I will give it for Leah." or "I will tell for Sara." I hear it mostly from yiddish speakers.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 6:09 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
You may have heard this:
- Trilingual.
- Bilingual.
- American.

It’s me. I’m not a polyglot, like you are.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 6:14 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
It’s me. I’m not a polyglot, like you are.

Not I, said the Murican. It's egam.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 6:23 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Not I, said the Murican. It's egam.

Menopause has killed my short term memory. Apologies.

RevitalizedMom

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 6:24 pm
It drives me crazy when people say “there were very little people at the event.”

The people were very little?!

It’s “there were very FEW people at the event.”

You don’t say there were very big people at the event. You say there were many, or a lot of people…

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 6:28 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Menopause has killed my short term memory. Apologies.

I feel your pain.
I just didn't want to enjoy unearned glory. (And had you been the one to kibbitz with egam I'm sure you'd have remembered.)

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 6:30 pm
egam wrote:

I have no problem with mistakes made by people who are not native speakers. For example, I review reports written by a woman whose native language is Russian. I know that she will misuse or omit articles "a" and "the" because there is no equivalent in Russian, and I cheerfully make the corrections. I can't fault her for being a non-native speaker.

OTOH I can and do fault her American-born-and-educated coworker who has no idea how to construct a coherent paragraph, organize a narrative in a logical sequence, or use there-their-they're and its-it's-Itz correctly. The man has a master's degree from an American university (and bores us all to death bragging about his ancestors who came on the Mayflower). With such an illustrious background, he ought to write English better than his Russian-born counterpart. Alas, he doesn't.

Arrivederci!

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:05 pm
zaq wrote:
I have no problem with mistakes made by people who are not native speakers. For example, I review reports written by a woman whose native language is Russian. I know that she will misuse or omit articles "a" and "the" because there is no equivalent in Russian, and I cheerfully make the corrections. I can't fault her for being a non-native speaker.

OTOH I can and do fault her American-born-and-educated coworker who has no idea how to construct a coherent paragraph, organize a narrative in a logical sequence, or use there-their-they're and its-it's-Itz correctly. The man has a master's degree from an American university (and bores us all to death bragging about his ancestors who came on the Mayflower). With such an illustrious background, he ought to write English better than his Russian-born counterpart. Alas, he doesn't.

Arrivederci!

Well, the English (or is the proper way to say the British?) go to hospital or to toilet. Americans go to *the* wherever.

Anyway, (or anyways, as many people I know would say Wink ) loving this thread! I admit my English is not the best- it is my second language. But, that doesn’t mean I don’t have my pet peeves. Hadtata is the worst...

Edited a typo

pause

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 7:23 pm
I have a special affinity for people who mess up their idioms. Like the teacher who was complaining about the student who is a "lively wire." Or the woman who bought a coat that cost "a bomb and a leg." And the guy who described his friend as a very "up and becoming" person.

Bubby6

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 8:27 pm
Hasn't anyone here heard of being dyslexic? I know a few dislexic people. They are avid readers, very intelligent but can't spell! My dyxlesic co-worker is proud that she can misspell the same word many different ways in one paragraph.
Page 4 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics