Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Healthier Side Dishes for Shabbos
1  2  3  Next

sari00

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 3:38 pm
Trying to avoid the kugels...
Any really yummy recommendations? Thanks!!

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 3:38 pm
I serve all kinds of roasted veggies.

sari00

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 3:40 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I serve all kinds of roasted veggies.

any specific spices, recipe?

STMommy

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 3:56 pm
You can make any combo of veggies...broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots, baby carrots, peppers, eggplant, string beans, Brussels sprouts...experiment and see what you like.
I just spray with olive oil spray and add salt and pepper. You can also experiment with different salts and spices like onion powder, garlic powder, shwarma spice, etc.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 4:00 pm
Cauliflower rice with sautéed mushrooms

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 11:14 pm
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:
Cauliflower rice with sautéed mushrooms

That sounds yummy! Can you share your recipe? Thanks!

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 11:16 pm
Kugel is eaten because of the mann given to us in the midbar. Maybe try to find a new kugel?

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 11:23 pm
amother [ Sage ] wrote:
Kugel is eaten because of the mann given to us in the midbar. Maybe try to find a new kugel?

Wait what?

Good Friend

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 11:41 pm
I love this recipe of green beans for Friday night because it's a cool, crunchy and refreshing side dish with the hot chicken and kugel or rice that I serve it with.
Wash, trim the ends and blanch the beans. Season with sesame oil, sesame seeds and salt. Serve cold or at room temperature.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 12:25 am
Former food professional here.

However we are planning to cook vegetables (stir fry/roasted) we cook them separately and mix together after each one is cooked to our liking. We then season the whole thing ( for example if it’s a stir fry) or top it with olive oil or vinegar or whatever.

There are many things you can do with vegetables but for me, on Shabbat, a chunky salad is perfect.

You can put all sorts of things together in a salad. Have fun!

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 4:25 am
I make vegetable kugel with the frozen California style veggies mix. Or for change sometimes will do just broccoli or just cauliflower kugel.
3 lb frozen veg
4 T. Mayo
4 eggs
3 T. Onion soup mix
3/4 tsp salt

Cook veggies till soft, blend in food processor with all ingredients. Bake 350 for 1 hr.

(Ive tried substituting soup mix with own spices to avoid using msg, pretty tasty though kids like better the original recipe).

Will also make frozen French style sting beans.
Sauté onions
Add red pepper continue sautéing
Add pkg string beans
Add 1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
Salt
Cover and cook on stovetop.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 5:32 am
Rice kugel, noddle kugel

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 5:37 am
Quinoa with roasted sweet potatoes and scallions, brown rice instead of white, and roast vegetables. Get creative with spices - I like hawaij and Tuscan spice blends.

Onion soup mix and mayonnaise are ok in small quantities, but they're not a great way of creating a healthy diet.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 5:51 am
Broccoli kugel
Courgette kugel
And look at this https://www.kosher.com/recipes.....5D=on

geemum

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 7:06 am
Hot veg:
Zucchini in tomato sauce (can add onions, aubergine, mushrooms for a ratatouille)
Red cabbage
Green beans - loads of options
Honey glazed carrots
Mushroom sauce (serve on basmati or brown rice)

etky

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:13 am
Zucchini and carrot ribbons:
With a vegetable peeler create ribbons from zucchini and carrots. (I don't use the seedy cores of the zucchini but rather freeze them to use in soups).
Sautee the veggie ribbons in olive oil until tender. I put in the carrot first to give it a head start.
If you like garlic you can add some chopped cloves when the veggies are just about tender.
I also throw in some julienned basil leaves.
Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Another nice low-fat side dish is braised red cabbage with apple.
Google it to find a recipe.
Ratatouille is also nice. My family doesn't like eggplant or things in tomato sauce so I haven't made it in years unfortunately.
Green beans in tomato sauce is yummy too.

A really easy way to make tzimmes is to roast frozen baby carrots in the oven, tossed with a drop of oil and some brown sugar. It caramelizes very nicely on high heat.

Other than this I also roast lots of veggies: green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, sliced sweet potatoes.
I also make lots of vegetable based kugels but yes they often contain quite a bit of fat along with eggs and sometimes carbs.

nchr

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 10:32 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
Wait what?

Yes people eat kugel shabbos because it is like the monn. Which type of kugel and when are different minhagim. For example lokshen kugel for loi kusha that it should not be hard and/or loi kashe to not have kashes (we have other foods like this such as kindel). In Elul some people eat more lokshen kugel building up to Rosh Hashana to have an easy (loi kusha) year IYH. Some people always eat 3 or 4 kugels shabbos for different reasons or extra for shabbos mevorchim etc. But the concept of eating it (something with a bottom, a filling, a top) on shabbos is because of the monn, at least according to what I was taught.
There's a reason for everything we eat on shabbos but I learned here that not everyone is makpid on that.

Last edited by nchr on Thu, Aug 19 2021, 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 10:41 am
nchr wrote:
Yes people eat kugel shabbos because it is like the monn. Which type of kugel and when are different minhagim. For example lokshen kugel for loi kusha that it should not be hard and/or loi kashe to not have kashes (we have other foods like this such as kindel). In Elul some people eat more lokshen kugel building up to Rosh Hashana to have an easy (loi kusha) year IYH. Some people always eat 3 or 4 kugels shabbos some people eat עמלק kugel parshas zachor etc. But the concept of eating it (something with a bottom, a filling, a top) on shabbos is because of the monn, at least according to what I was taught.
There's a reason for everything we eat on shabbos but I learned here that not everyone is makpid on that.

The 4 kugels for עמלק is a joke from a badchan.

nchr

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 10:50 am
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
The 4 kugels for עמלק is a joke from a badchan.

No. It's not.
Maybe a badchan decided to make a joke from it, but it didn't start as a joke. I think it had a mekor before and anyways people do it.
Many people serve these 4 kugels shabbos anyways. I serve 4 but apple isn't one.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 10:53 am
nchr wrote:
No. It's not. My father told us even when he was a child in cheder years ago his rebbe spoke about it.
Maybe a badchan decided to make a joke from it, but it didn't start as a joke.
Many people serve these 4 kugels shabbos anyways. I serve 4 but apple isn't one.

That rebbe took it from a badchan.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note