Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Buttercream or royal for decorating cake?

lucky14

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 12:14 pm
Whenever I decorate cakes with buttercream frosting (I use margarine so technically not butter...) It always softens up too much while I'm piping even if I chill it before decorating.

Should I use royal icing for cake decorating? If so do I first frost the whole cake with buttercream frosting and then pipe the design (will be using a star tip) on top of the buttercream layer?

yOungM0mmy

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 12:16 pm
You cant pipe royal icing with a star tip, it starts off runny and then hardens. Maybe you need a different buttercream recipe. I use 1 stick margarine, 250g icing sugar and 2 tsp boiling water, and it works perfectly.

miami85

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 12:20 pm
the consistency of buttercream is based on the ratio of powdered sugar to crisco+water. If it's too runny add more powdered sugar.

royal icing works better on cookies and for making free-form items that will go on top of the cake. It's not generally used for icing a cake. It is VERY sticky and would get all crummy.

lucky14

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 12:36 pm
Thanks guys. yOungM0mmy I'm going to try your recipe this time.

egam

Post Sat, Aug 21 2021, 10:00 pm
Try to use Italian buttercream. It’s more work than the American one, but it’s more stable and not as sweet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins