Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Am I going to be overweight forever :( : ( :(
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:58 am
amother [ Tulip ] wrote:
if you are more insulin resistant and many pcos women are, then you may need to fast for longer periods to see results, but its also not so simple because one thing I learned is that one of the drs who advocated intermittent fasting said that a woman was eating healthy/exercising and intermittent fasting for 9 mnths and she thought she was losing nothing. but the dr said she was losing fat from her liver bec first the internal organs which have fat on it will shed the fat so some of us may not see results on the "outside" right away bec first our body is getting rid of the dangerous fat on our internal organs.

this may be the case with you, but I can tell you as a pcos woman who also didnt see "outside results", I def. know there was a difference bec when I went off bc, my periods returned normal, what did I do? I fasted 48 hrs. and I was able to do that bec I was working remote....this also helped me to see results on the "outside" too but it takes a long time, and I eat healthy and dont eat a lot, so I know how frustrated you are....

also, you said you are stressed and stress plays a big role bec it causes cortisol to rise which spikes insulin which tells the body to store fat...when I was able to get my stress levels down, I also saw an improvement bec even eating healthy/fasting and exercising alone didnt help.....
I understand that but why shouldn't the scale show loss of that fat around the liver, it doesn't make sense?
I wish I didn't have stress, but can't control it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 1:00 am
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
I was also going to suggest IF - Jason Fung, and eating more fats, low carb.

You sound like you are starving yourself. IF is the opposite of starving - it is letting your body have access to the stored fat tissue.

I usually eat 1-2 meals per day, in a short window (2 meals from 11-4 or 1 meal sometime between 2-4). I eat early. Night eating is very, very bad.

My meals have a substantial amount of fat, and usually at least two kinds. I eat till satiated.

My favorite fats are olive oil, avocado oil, avocadoes, techina, and dressings made from avocado oil mayonnaise.

I have made tons of dressing recipes from Peas Love & Carrots using healthy fats and they are so delicious. Even if I have one meal a day, I am super satisfied because the meal was so, so good!

The sad truth is that most dieters fail. You need to adopt a lifestyle that you can maintain throughout your life IY"H.

Starving yourself is not maintainable. You just can't do it forever. Not only will you lower your BMR, you will feel deprived, rebound eat, and gain the weight back.

You need to lose it in a way that you can continue to stick to even after the weight is lost. IF is good, low-carb and HIGH fat is good, etc.

HATZLACHA RABBAH!!!
That sounds really hard to eat only 1-2 meals within a few hours. I'm not sure if I have the strength that you have to do that! When you say night, what if I'm up for 5 hours or more after eating?

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 1:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That sounds really hard to eat only 1-2 meals within a few hours. I'm not sure if I have the strength that you have to do that! When you say night, what if I'm up for 5 hours or more after eating?

Oh, sorry... I didn't mean to scare you.

Start slowly. Start adding fat to your meals - and eat low carb, some protein, high fat meals as often as you need. No snacks.

As you increase your fat, you will not be as hungry. That's a good thing.

You can have a larger eating window in the beginning and make it smaller as you get better.

I didn't start going cold-turkey with just one meal... I did it slowly. It took about a month to get to 1 meal comfortably... but if anyone told me 6 months ago that I'd be eating 1-2 meals/day and I'd be fine with it, I would not have believed them.

I suggest reading Dr. Jason Fung's The Complete Guide to Fasting or The Obesity Code. You can also find him on youtube. He's fantastic.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 1:21 am
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
I don’t think Ozempoic is meant to be used as a weighloss medication

A very popular off-label use is weight loss. My PCP who is very conservative was fine prescribing it to me.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 1:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I understand that but why shouldn't the scale show loss of that fat around the liver, it doesn't make sense?
I wish I didn't have stress, but can't control it.

fat around your liver is inside your body and even some (seemingly skinny on the outside) ppl have fat on their liver without knowing....you cant see loss of liver fat on the outside bec its inside/internal...theres a fatty liver test done before or after to see if liver fat is being lost....im not suggesting you shld have the test, but im just answering your ques.

I see the poster above suggested dr jason fung's book and I second that....I also want to add that im struggling too bec I have pcos and the only thing that works for me is longer intermittent fasting and taking vacation from my job(my biggest stressor) which obviously is not usually possible for me to do regularly....so I do understand your frustration..

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 3:06 am
The IF resources (books/podcasts whatever) should one want to do IF, are helpful & important, because not everyone sees the results they are wanting by merely eating within a certain set hour window. Without a continuously getting attuned to what tweaks might be helpful, some might not necessarily be as successful.

It is nuanced & can sound complicated. But at least for me it's been the relatively best & far easiest thing I've done to be healthy. But I don't think I'd have been doing as well as I have without the resources. (For instance, Dave Asprey speaks about women & IF; while he says that there's no reason women shouldn't fast even longer fasts; nevertheless, women's body's are far more complicated with continuous hormonal complexity. Therefore, I sometimes do longer fasts; however as a woman, I also listen to my body & definitely don't do longer fasts if my body feels like it could use more food, more rest or more carbs. Some days I don't fast. It's not a prescribed black & white thing. It's about getting healthier & fat-adapted, vs a diet, or someone prescribing "this is exactly what you should eat & when").

But it's not totally simple. I've had to continue to tweak things. Being a little older, also with some hormonal issues (not PCOS, but something else), there are things which can hinder weight loss on the terms we want it to be on.

It's important too that some people can kind of eat whatever they want; but some people might need to eat low carb/high fat; some people might need to eat low fat/high carb. Some people might need to incorporate exercising. And some people might need to do occasional longer fasts; While some do great keeping as mild as a window as 12/12, or a little more of 16/8, I've learned that I feel better & feel less excessive hunger, & see better results by keeping a longer fasting window/smaller eating window, with occasional longer fasts of 36 hours or so. It can sound extreme, but again, the point is that the body becomes "fat-adapted", so one's body is literally feeding off one's own fat sources (& burning ketones therefrom which feels absolutely amazing & energizing; this is not to be confused with going on a ketogenic diet).

It's not necessarily simple, & it's been a very slow journey for me. But the many years I tried calorie counting & traditional dieting were absolutely much more difficult for me personally, than making IF a lifestyle where I feel much better. Pre-IF, I personally was always yo-yo-ing & prone to a restriction/binging cycle.

With IF, it's a slower, steadier, much more sustainable process where I feel much better.

It's very personal all of this. I'm not going to tell anyone that they should do IF; just sharing my experience because that's what this forum is for, but I think people are very, very unique and have to search for what works for them.
Good luck to the OP!

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 4:43 am
OP did you check if your clothes got looser on you?
Because in the beginning, especially if you exercise, your fat turns into muscles. And muscles weigh more than fat. So you may have gained weight, but you might be slimmer.

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 7:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, but I prefer not to take medications.

I had the same feeling OP before I met my doctor but really don’t fear medication. Taken properly it can really help, in fact be one of the only ways to kickstart your weight loss. Weight loss medication is SHORT TERM meaning you aren’t tied down to it and won’t be on it forever. Sometimes the body needs extra help, eating less doesn’t always do the trick. Btdt.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 7:37 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Because in the beginning, especially if you exercise, your fat turns into muscles. And muscles weigh more than fat. So you may have gained weight, but you might be slimmer.

Whaaaaat? Fat does not suddenly turn into muscle. The fat gets used and goes away but muscle can only be made by exercising.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 7:47 am
If you are insulin resistant you want to space out your eating either between meals or overnight for a longer fast. Cut out the snacks. The snacks keep your insulin spiked. Your body needs a rest.

I have not cut out carbs completely and I do allow myself a treat every once in a while (that's what is sustainable for me) but my general eating is:
Coffee at 930
Breakfast at 1030/11
Lunch at 2
Supper at 5/6
And that's it.

I eat mostly proteins, produce and healthy fats with every meal ie olive oil, avocado, nuts etc. The fat and salt content helps trigger your leptid, your feeling full hormone.

I do eat quinoa, wild rice, and sweet potatoes on occassion. I also eat dairy.

I drink 10-12 cups of water a day.

Sugar is an exception for me. An occasion, a simcha, something like that. I had cut it all out but ended up with a binge disorder. This is the happy medium for me.

I lost 20 lbs. I have about 40 lbs left to lose (I think)

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 9:34 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Whaaaaat? Fat does not suddenly turn into muscle. The fat gets used and goes away but muscle can only be made by exercising.

Yes, when you exercise, the fat does turn into muscles.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 9:44 am
You need to look into real keto.

High fat, moderate amount of protein, and low carb veggies.

No calorie counting. Eating fried chicken with the skin on. Eating an avocado, eggs fried in oil or butter. Eating fried salmon, tuna with full fat mayonnaise.

Keeping your net carbs under 20 g a day.

You will see results.

amother
Broom

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 9:44 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Yes, when you exercise, the fat does turn into muscles.

It’s a myth that you can turn fat into muscle.

During weight loss, fat is taken from fat cells and used to produce energy in the body along with other byproducts. Ideally, muscle is preserved through strength training and consuming a protein-rich diet.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:36 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I haven't noticed much of a difference in the last month, but it's hard to say.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:38 am
lamplighter wrote:
If you are insulin resistant you want to space out your eating either between meals or overnight for a longer fast. Cut out the snacks. The snacks keep your insulin spiked. Your body needs a rest.

I have not cut out carbs completely and I do allow myself a treat every once in a while (that's what is sustainable for me) but my general eating is:
Coffee at 930
Breakfast at 1030/11
Lunch at 2
Supper at 5/6
And that's it.

I eat mostly proteins, produce and healthy fats with every meal ie olive oil, avocado, nuts etc. The fat and salt content helps trigger your leptid, your feeling full hormone.

I do eat quinoa, wild rice, and sweet potatoes on occassion. I also eat dairy.

I drink 10-12 cups of water a day.

Sugar is an exception for me. An occasion, a simcha, something like that. I had cut it all out but ended up with a binge disorder. This is the happy medium for me.

I lost 20 lbs. I have about 40 lbs left to lose (I think)
Can you post a sample menu? I don't like dairy and I can't eat too much cholesterol. I do feel full from what I eat.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:39 am
causemommysaid wrote:
You need to look into real keto.

High fat, moderate amount of protein, and low carb veggies.

No calorie counting. Eating fried chicken with the skin on. Eating an avocado, eggs fried in oil or butter. Eating fried salmon, tuna with full fat mayonnaise.

Keeping your net carbs under 20 g a day.

You will see results.

That might be difficult, but I'll try to track net carbs. Till now I've only looked at carbs and sugars.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:02 pm
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
I had the same feeling OP before I met my doctor but really don’t fear medication. Taken properly it can really help, in fact be one of the only ways to kickstart your weight loss. Weight loss medication is SHORT TERM meaning you aren’t tied down to it and won’t be on it forever. Sometimes the body needs extra help, eating less doesn’t always do the trick. Btdt.

What happens when you stop taking the medication? Does the weight come back?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:37 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I feel u!! Good luck! It’s so hard because it’s not ur fault that ur overweight and sometimes there’s nothing u can do! I’ve been on every single diet that’s ever come out since I was in 5th grade and I never lost weight! No matter how hard I tried! It was so depressing I ate all the right healthy foods stayed away from cake etc…and I didn’t lose a lb! Abt 7 weeks ago I did the sleeve and I’m bh down 30lb! I would’ve never thought it was possible for my scale to go down!

Wow amazing so fast how much do u want to lose. How long did it take to get the process started?

lamplighter

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 2:23 pm
Sample menu:

Egg omelette w avo for breakfast

Salmon and salad or soup for lunch

Stir fry chicken with quinoa and/or roasted veggies salad

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 2:56 pm
That is so so hard.
I really feel for you.
I am not in your exact situation, but have related struggles.
Ever since menopause, hormonal issues have prevented me from losing any significant amount of weight, even with sticking to a really good meal plan and regular exercise. Super discouraging!
Regarding stress: have you tried stress management techniques such as mindfulness/meditation, guided imagery, yoga?
I really recommend them!
They have made a huge difference to my life.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise