Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Food has gone up a ton
1  2  3  4  Next

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 11:40 pm
did u notice? I buy a few things and it cost me an arm and a leg. help!

Love My Babes

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 11:57 pm
who can help but notice? everything is totally up!

chavamom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 12:02 am
I was just reading an article about how it is projected that food prices are going to be up for the next 10 years. And it's not just trucking/shipping costs causing it. It's increased demand for food in China and India coupled with the fact that they have paid farmers to under produce for years to artificially keep prices higher - which are now catching up with us in the form of under supply. very scary situation.

yikes!

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 2:01 am
I think I can't afford the pizza shop anymore!!!!!

mimivan

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 3:17 am
I do editing for financial bloggers and a HUGE factor behind food inflation is the U Government's rush to get into ethanol. Farmers are receiving huge subsidies to grow corn, food is being used for fuel and acreage once v reserved for other crops is being reserved for growing fuel. The result: food shortages and higher prices. What you can do? Write to your congressman and ask him or her to vote against the government ruinous policy and to speak in favor of developing other more efficient forms of developing fuel, such as solar, wind and uranium..

Ethanol is terribly inefficient and not a clean fuel, anyway..even natural gas is better.

Stepping off my soapbox for now. Very Happy

GAMZu

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 3:27 am
It's such such such a brocha at this time that my shul has a program to order bulk veggies, fruit, eggs, plastic goods, drinks, etc... for Pesach for a discount.

Thing is, the "great" prices they offer are what normal prices were one year ago!!! Never thought I'd be thinking, "Oh, wow!! 15 dozen eggs for $16!! Grab it!!"

Tamiri

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 3:36 am
We pay a little under the equivalent of $5 for a tray of 30 eggs.

$1/dozen sounds like a great price, what I paid 5 years ago for eggs at a Korean market.

While food in Israel has gone up, there are ways to save. Not for Pesach, just in general: buy less processed, eat more fresh produce, make your own as much as possible, buy cheaper cuts of poultry and meat.

drumjj

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 3:43 am
where I live I pay nearly seven sheks for six eggs its crazy because I dont like buying brown ones because I end up throwing things away and nearly four dollars for a litre of milk. food in uk is absolute madness. tam what is considered cheaper cuts of meat and poultry

Tamiri

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 4:16 am
Regarding the cheaper cuts of meat and poultry, I am comparing to what goes in the States. I don't know about the UK.
If I buy frozen beef, (comes kashered, glatt) I can get #3, which is brisket (the breast) for around 20 NIS/kg (less than $6 per kg, 2.2 lbs.) #2 which is Chuck can be had for slightly more. In the States, brisket was over $6 per lb. when I left. Israelis don't use it, they like other cuts and that is why it's cheap.
I go to the store and check out turkey cuts, what was not common in the States. Sometimes they have "turkey pieces" for around 14.99/kg and I used that for stir fry and grilling. They look at me funny in the store when I say that I grill it, but it's delishes. There is a more expensive cut of chicken, pargit, which is the meat from the triangle of the thigh. That is over 40 nis/kg so I stopped buying it. I grilled the "turkey pieces" and my kids think it's pargit - so I save over 20 nis/kg right there.
Whole chickens were also 14.99 nis/kg this week. That is cheap enough for a weekday meal for the family.
I buy in bulk, and load up on what is cheap at the time I am at the particular store I shop at.
I don't buy things like fresh beef, steak etc. except for a very special occasion like Yom HaAtzmaut. They you can find me paying well over 100 nis/kg for a perfect steak (around $40, still a bargain) but that is maximum once/year.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 4:19 am
Drumjj, I think where you live, things are particularly expensive, due to lack of availability. I pay 89p for a litre of milk and £1.20 for a dozen eggs.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 10:28 am
I started shopping at a new store. I buy very little & pay the same amount as I used to. Not sure if their prices are more or not. I have noticed that challah is more expensive & pizza - it used to be 1.75/2.00 a slice. Now it's 2.50 & a pie is $20! My friend said its cheaper to buy a fresh pie in Florida than in NY. We buy the frozen pies because they are cheaper or I make it my self.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 11:04 am
the price of bread will go up after pesach, people.

drumjj

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 11:06 am
yes mummy its true but its still not cheap is it and also he tells us he doenst charge extra for milk is the big blue bottle a litre or two litres?

OldYoung

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 11:17 am
Food is crazy expensive. I am scared to see what our kids are going to have to go through when they get married just to pay for food. The whole support issue is going to take on a whole new look. (Just a ps to all of this while we're talking about food, my mother told me a rumor that there's going to be a kosher l'pesach margarine shortage in the US because a big company won't have it's usualy hechsher- so I guess, go buy your margarine and oil now..)

Frumom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 1:06 pm
I used to try and keep our groceries to $100/week. Not anymore, its crazy.

yentaof8

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 1:21 pm
I used to get a 3-dozen pack of eggs by Costco for under $3. That same pack is now 5.99. DOUBLE - just like that!! No one is earning double so now what?

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 1:25 pm
that's why it's not a crazy idea to apply for wic or food stamps if youre eligible...

amother

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 1:29 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
that's why it's not a crazy idea to apply for wic or food stamps if youre eligible...

Halevy they would raise the income amount so that I could become eligible. I'm always about $30 above the maximum.
It's very frustrating, especially if the income is too much for wic or food stamps yet we're barely scraping by with what we have.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 1:45 pm
I think the cows & chickens are charging rent ... MOO Nervous

eggs were .99 in sept and now $1.89 is cheap ... milk also went up from $2 - $2.50 to $3.89 ... in a short time ... cholov yisroel is more ...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 1:56 pm
dunno. but I'm not happy
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics