Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Phone Etiquette

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 11:03 am
I work in an office where I am sometimes required to answer incoming calls.
I just wanted to put it out there - when calling an office, no matter the reason, please dont respond in this manner, it is simply a lack of....I dunno what!
Me: Boss is not available, Can I have your name & number please so he can return your call?
"My Name is _____ He knows my number"
Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes
Did I ask you if he knows your name or number??? I dont care if he does! He is the boss in my office, and if you want a return call give me your number!!!
No, I dont actually tell this to the caller but I definitely feel this way

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 11:23 am
"I'm sure he knows your number, but I don't, and it's much easier for him to call back when he has your number written on the message next to your name."

I once had to deal with a company whose employees had the worst phone manners ever. They'd call and shout, "Who is this?" I'd respond, "I'm sorry, you called me. Can you please tell me who this is?"

The man (they were all men) would sigh and shout "Goldberg! Can I talk to Goldberg?"

Me: "And who is this?"

Caller: "It's Schwartz."

So I was left to wonder if it's Avraham Schwartz, Boaz Schwartz, Chaim Schwartz, David Schwartz, Efraim Schwartz, etc.

Me: "Thank you, Mr. Schwartz. If you'll just leave your full name and number, Mr. Goldberg will call you back just as soon as he can."

I can't tell you how often the person would slam the phone down and call back five minutes later, bellowing for Goldberg.

The firm actually did good work, but their business etiquette was so awful we didn't rehire them.

Please, make sure your sons and husbands know how to talk on the phone before they go out into the work force.

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 11:32 am
And don't make phone calls from noisy places or with kids in the background. It's distracting and I don't feel like I have your full attention

Simple1

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 11:33 am
I don't do this. But how hard is it to just say "Yes that could be, but I'd feel better if you give me number."

groovy1224

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 11:38 am
I don't know, that doesn't seem so terrible to me. I can see how it's hard if you're new and you're not familiar with your boss's close acquaintances or colleagues. But after a while you get to know the people and it WOULD be kind of silly for his wife to have to provide her number. It's 2021, most people have their business contacts saved.

If you're unsure, just say 'do you mind leaving your number just for your own records?' But I mean to say you don't care if he has your number doesn't really make sense. If he indeed has their number, what's the issue?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 12:14 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I don't know, that doesn't seem so terrible to me. I can see how it's hard if you're new and you're not familiar with your boss's close acquaintances or colleagues. But after a while you get to know the people and it WOULD be kind of silly for his wife to have to provide her number. It's 2021, most people have their business contacts saved.

If you're unsure, just say 'do you mind leaving your number just for your own records?' But I mean to say you don't care if he has your number doesn't really make sense. If he indeed has their number, what's the issue?

Im sorry, but you are wrong
And no, Im not new at all
and Im well aware of the boss's acquaintances
makes no difference
You called his office, not his cellphone
The issue is basic manners - I asked for your number, give it to me
The world is not expected to be there for you - you are the one who called, give the info requested from you
Simple

kenz

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 12:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im sorry, but you are wrong
And no, Im not new at all
and Im well aware of the boss's acquaintances
makes no difference
You called his office, not his cellphone
The issue is basic manners - I asked for your number, give it to me
The world is not expected to be there for you - you are the one who called, give the info requested from you
Simple

Also even if he knows the person quite well, it doesn't mean he knows his number by heart. The caller is much more likely to get a call back if the number is right there in front of him. Forcing him to look up or even just ask for a number makes it far easier for the message to be ignored.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette