Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Spotlights w replaceable bulbs or spotlights that you replac

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 1:01 pm
When doing spotlights:

What are the pros and cons of using spotlights that you replace the bulbs, or spotlights that you cant replace bulbs and need to replace fixture?

Which type is more commonly used, why, and which are preferable for which purposes?

Tia

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 1:07 pm
What kind of spotlights don't have replaceable bulbs. All of my canned lights; under counter lights and up lights have replaceable LED bulbs.

The only time I could think of using a fixture without a replaceable bulb is if it is one of those cheap stick on lights that people sometimes use for a closet or basement stairway when there isn't a way to hook into an electrical current and so it is simpler to get a cheap fixture and just toss it when it doesn't work. I think the "fairy lights" that people use for decoration also are just thrown away as they aren't replaceable anymore - they used to be replaceable before they were LED bulbs.

groovy1224

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 1:16 pm
Amarante wrote:
What kind of spotlights don't have replaceable bulbs. All of my canned lights; under counter lights and up lights have replaceable LED bulbs.

The only time I could think of using a fixture without a replaceable bulb is if it is one of those cheap stick on lights that people sometimes use for a closet or basement stairway when there isn't a way to hook into an electrical current and so it is simpler to get a cheap fixture and just toss it when it doesn't work. I think the "fairy lights" that people use for decoration also are just thrown away as they aren't replaceable anymore - they used to be replaceable before they were LED bulbs.

We recently had all our spotlights replaced with the type of fixtures OP is talking about. I think they look a little nicer, as with a fixture with a bulb there is that gap in between the bulb and the actual fixture, where as these are seamless so they look a little sleeker. They are supposed to have about a 10 year lifespan, so you wouldn't ever replace the bulb, you would replace the whole fixture (they are inexpensive, usually under $10 each). I can't comment on the lifespan, as we just had them put in.

They are also usually adjustable- you have a few different settings of what kind of light you want - more yellow or more white light. So far I'm happy with them.

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 1:21 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
We recently had all our spotlights replaced with the type of fixtures OP is talking about. I think they look a little nicer, as with a fixture with a bulb there is that gap in between the bulb and the actual fixture, where as these are seamless so they look a little sleeker. They are supposed to have about a 10 year lifespan, so you wouldn't ever replace the bulb, you would replace the whole fixture (they are inexpensive, usually under $10 each). I can't comment on the lifespan, as we just had them put in.

They are also usually adjustable- you have a few different settings of what kind of light you want - more yellow or more white light. So far I'm happy with them.

I am confused - my ceiling fixtures don't have any gap or unsightly elements. My wall sconces which are LED have shades. I can't really see what my under cabinet lights look like and my uplights in the kitchen are also hidden.

Where does one place these?

ETA - I just realized my adjustable bed has under the bed lights which I assume are not replaceable. Very Happy

groovy1224

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 1:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
I am confused - my ceiling fixtures don't have any gap or unsightly elements. My wall sconces which are LED have shades. I can't really see what my under cabinet lights look like and my uplights in the kitchen are also hidden.

Where does one place these?

There was definitely nothing unsightly going on, Just when it came time to swap out the bulbs on our recessed lighting it was recommended to us that we just put in all new fixtures instead of replacing the bulbs. You wouldn't use these for sconces or up lighting.

Here's a link to basically what I'm talking about. These look smaller diameter wise but same idea.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Co.....80877

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 4:47 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
There was definitely nothing unsightly going on, Just when it came time to swap out the bulbs on our recessed lighting it was recommended to us that we just put in all new fixtures instead of replacing the bulbs. You wouldn't use these for sconces or up lighting.

Here's a link to basically what I'm talking about. These look smaller diameter wise but same idea.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Co.....80877

Interesting but I am still not seeing the advantage. My canned ceiling lights have LED bulbs. If one of them should need to be replaced, I would just have to get on a ladder - well actually have someone else do that Smile and change the bulb.

If I got one that needed the whole fixture replaced, I would have to call in an electrician to install a new fixture. I have 9 overhead lights just in my small office area so that would be a lot of money - cost of new fixture plus cost of electrician's visit.

FWIW - on the subject of lighting fixtures, I had my electrician install a Lutron Caseta system which can be controlled through the App on my iPhone. Aside from the obvious advantage of turning off the lights when I am comfortably in bed from my iPhone, I can also use it to set all kinds of scenarios of turning lights on and off when I want.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 5:46 pm
Amarante wrote:
Interesting but I am still not seeing the advantage. My canned ceiling lights have LED bulbs. If one of them should need to be replaced, I would just have to get on a ladder - well actually have someone else do that Smile and change the bulb.

If I got one that needed the whole fixture replaced, I would have to call in an electrician to install a new fixture. I have 9 overhead lights just in my small office area so that would be a lot of money - cost of new fixture plus cost of electrician's visit.

FWIW - on the subject of lighting fixtures, I had my electrician install a Lutron Caseta system which can be controlled through the App on my iPhone. Aside from the obvious advantage of turning off the lights when I am comfortably in bed from my iPhone, I can also use it to set all kinds of scenarios of turning lights on and off when I want.

Id like to hear other opinions on this, but I was told that these fixtures are easy to replace and cost a little more than bulbs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics