Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Siblings changing diaper
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:07 pm
Looking for advice and opinions on siblings changing diapers. Specifically about older boys (11yr old) changing baby sister diapers.

shmosmom

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:19 pm
Why is an 11 year old changing a diaper?

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:22 pm
I'm from the oldest of 13 and did basically everything at home besides for changing diapers. That was my mom's department. I don't make my kids diaper babies either.

westchestermom

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:23 pm
My ten year old daughter changes pee diapers only. She volunteered a few times and now she does it about once a day.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:25 pm
It's funny because I've been thinking about teaching my teenage boy how to change his baby sister's diaper. Just a wet one. If he asked me to teach him how to change a dirty one, I think I would, but I wouldn't suggest it myself. Same reason that I didn't want my mother to change my babies' dirty diapers if I was around; I feel like that's a parent's job.

I don't have any teenage girls to compare it to, but I think I'd feel the same way with them.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:26 pm
No- I would not have an 11 year old boy changing a sibs diapers. I would not have the older boys changing a sister’s diapers. Hard no.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Looking for advice and opinions on siblings changing diapers. Specifically about older boys (11yr old) changing baby sister diapers.

Never.
Father-yes, while child is still a baby.
Brother, uncle, cousin - No.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:29 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Father-yes, while child is still a baby.

?

Does that mean not when she's 2-3?

Stars

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:31 pm
No, and not for the reasons you’re thinking of. An 11 year old shouldn’t be changing the baby’s diapers no matter the gender of either. Unless the older siblings offers.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:35 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
?

Does that mean not when she's 2-3?

Lol no.
Meaning only when she’s really small.

When my 9 year old daughter calls us from her shower because she wants us to make sure all the soap is off her hair then I go, not dh.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:36 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Lol no.

So, still a baby as opposed to what?

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:38 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
So, still a baby as opposed to what?

Older daughter.

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:41 pm
My 10 year old daughter changes diapers. She begged for a while so I taught her. I don't see the big deal especially if you are normal healthy household. When I was teen I babysat a lot and changed little boy's diapers. Why can I do that but a boy can't change baby girls?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:42 pm
shmosmom wrote:
Why is an 11 year old changing a diaper?

From being an only child to now having his first sibling he wants to help out with all things baby ..

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
From being an only child to now having his first sibling he wants to help out with all things baby ..

I would let him. If you aren't totally comfortable do it with supervision.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:48 pm
amother [ Sunflower ] wrote:
I would let him. If you aren't totally comfortable do it with supervision.

I would let too. My husband used to change his baby brothers when he was a teenager. He did a fine job and doesn't seem to recall this with disgust or resentment or anything.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:50 pm
Never… there are so many other age appropriate chores he can do. I can name 50. And I feel like there is a difference between an 11 year old girl and an 11 year old boy. Believe it or not boys at 11 should be looking and wiping lady bits no matter how small they are. Sorry to break it to people who think boys and girls are the same. They’re not.

tymama

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:57 pm
I wouldn’t ask a child to change their siblings diaper no matter the age unless they were babysitting. It’s a parents responsibility, end of story

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:57 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
Never… there are so many other age appropriate chores he can do. I can name 50. And I feel like there is a difference between an 11 year old girl and an 11 year old boy. Believe it or not boys at 11 should be looking and wiping lady bits no matter how small they are. Sorry to break it to people who think boys and girls are the same. They’re not.

I think it's a huge mistake to raise boys this way. And based on the many posts here, I think we need to raise boys to be better husbands and fathers.

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 8:59 pm
He asked to change the baby. Many children are interested in helping with baby tasks. And to block a child from helping in a way they want seems like a really bad lesson. No one said your older kids should raise the younger. But this extreme never business is so concerning.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics