Home

NOT Honey cake
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


heidi




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:14 pm
Looking for a recipe that's not honey cake but something honey/cinnamonyish for Rosh Hashanah.
Anyone have an idea??
Back to top

vintagebknyc




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:43 pm
None. but thank you for reminding me that I have an irrational live for that boxed honey cake mix I had as a child and now need to go buy some.
Back to top

Rutabaga




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:46 pm
This is a little different and always comes out well:

https://www.latimes.com/food/l......html
Back to top

yamaha




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:59 pm
Mmm... how about apple cake with a streusel / glazed topping?
Back to top

etky




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:03 pm
My family doesn't really go for honey cake (unfortunately cause I got an amazing and very easy recipe off this site some years ago).
So instead my go-to cakes for Rosh Hashana are apple cake, carrot cake and something called Honey Bun cake which is really a doctored vanilla cake mix.
They all have a moist and cinnamony vibe that is reminiscent of honey cake.

ETA - also pumpkin cake!
Back to top

amother




Currant
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:27 pm
https://www.thepeppermillinc.c.....hews/
Honey peanut chews
Back to top

amother




Currant
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:28 pm
etky wrote:
My family doesn't really go for honey cake (unfortunately cause I got an amazing and very easy recipe off this site some years ago).
So instead my go-to cakes for Rosh Hashana are apple cake, carrot cake and something called Honey Bun cake which is really a doctored vanilla cake mix.
They all have a moist and cinnamony vibe that is reminiscent of honey cake.

ETA - also pumpkin cake!

Can you post the honey bun cake recipe
Back to top

amother




Mulberry
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:29 pm
Pomegranate cake! It's surprisingly delicious
Back to top

Teomima




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:39 pm
I'm not a fan of honey cake, so I make taygelach boiled in a honey mixture. I like to flavor mine with ginger but you can totally throw in a few cinnamon sticks, and cinnamon and nutmeg into the cookie dough.
Back to top

icedcoffee




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:54 pm
This was a huge hit last year - honey pomegranate cake with rum and coffee

1. In a large bowl, mix the following: 2 cups flour, 2/3 cups sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp cardamom, 1 tsp nutmeg (I actually used the Trader Joes pumpkin pie spice), and 1.5tsp baking powder.
2. In another bowl, mix 2/3 cups canola oil, 2/3 cups honey, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup pomegranate tea, 1/8 cup rum, and 1/3 cup strong coffee.
3. Pour the wet bowl into the dry one and mix until smooth.
4. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper and pour everything in. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour.
5. For the glaze, mix 1.5 cups of confectioner's sugar with 2 tbs of the pomegranate tea. Wait until the cake has cooled to pour it on. Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
Back to top

etky




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:56 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:
Can you post the honey bun cake recipe

https://www.food.com/recipe/ho.....83040
I use parve sour cream (I usually thin it out a bit with water) and creamer or water for the glaze.
We don't have the minhag of not eating nuts on Rosh Hashana but it's fine to just leave them out if you do.
Maybe you can sub small raisins or cut up dates instead.
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 2:45 pm
I make a gingerbread. The recipe says to use golden syrup, but I use a mixture of honey and silan to sweeten it.
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 2:52 pm
How about carrot or sweet potato muffins?
Back to top

Raisin




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 4:04 pm
sticky toffee pudding. There are some recipes on this site somewhere.

It is made with dates and is very sweet, too sweet for me, but my family like it.
Back to top

Raisin




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 4:05 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
This was a huge hit last year - honey pomegranate cake with rum and coffee

1. In a large bowl, mix the following: 2 cups flour, 2/3 cups sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp cardamom, 1 tsp nutmeg (I actually used the Trader Joes pumpkin pie spice), and 1.5tsp baking powder.
2. In another bowl, mix 2/3 cups canola oil, 2/3 cups honey, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup pomegranate tea, 1/8 cup rum, and 1/3 cup strong coffee.
3. Pour the wet bowl into the dry one and mix until smooth.
4. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper and pour everything in. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour.
5. For the glaze, mix 1.5 cups of confectioner's sugar with 2 tbs of the pomegranate tea. Wait until the cake has cooled to pour it on. Garnish with pomegranate seeds.


Do you mean ready made pomegranate iced tea? Or tea you make with pomegranate flavoured teabags?
Back to top

heidi




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 4:06 pm
Thanks!!!
Back to top

icedcoffee




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 4:10 pm
Raisin wrote:
Do you mean ready made pomegranate iced tea? Or tea you make with pomegranate flavoured teabags?


I made with tea bags but either should work!
Back to top

raich




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 8:44 pm
https://overtimecook.com/2021/.....icks/

I just made these yesterday and they came out amazing. Kind of like soft and chewy honey cookies but so much less work than rolling tons of balls of dough.

I skipped out the apple topping and instead of putting it in logs on baking sheets I baked it in 2 9x13 pans like cookie sticks and cut into fingers when cool. Baked for 20 min.
Back to top

sky




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 10:24 pm
Honey cookies with lemon glaze.
https://overtimecook.com/2012/.....kies/

Honey bars
https://overtimecook.com/2021/.....icks/
(This was mentioned earlier. It’s very good and easy to make)

Honey cookies

Custard pie with pomegranate seed topping
https://www.chabad.org/recipes.....t.htm
(I use frozen pie crust and ready made custard)

Apple Honey tart
https://overtimecook.com/2012/.....arts/
Back to top

amother




White
 

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 11:11 pm
Apple cake
Pumpkin pie
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Hummingbird cake?
by amother
4 Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:17 am View last post
How to dress up/repurpose store bought chiffon cake 2 Thu, Oct 07 2021, 3:55 pm View last post
ISO recipe for Layered Apple Crumb Cake/Kugel
by Mevater
10 Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:40 pm View last post
Esrog Jam with honey
by amother
6 Thu, Sep 30 2021, 10:52 am View last post
Baby potatoes with honey and onion soup mix 14 Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:20 pm View last post