Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Difference between Far Rockaway and 5 Towns?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:28 pm
I know they're considered more or less the same community but I get the impression that the 5 towns could possibly be more "jappy." But if they basically use the same schools I wonder how much of a difference that makes. Would we need to raise our standard of living or fashion no matter where we move?

Also wondering about differences in housing costs, taxes, etc. Basically please tell me everything I need to know if I'm thinking about moving to that area and not sure exactly where.

Prospective job is located in Far Rockaway so suggestions of "better" ideas farther out are not wanted at this time. It's either Far Rockaway or the next-closest thing which is 5 towns. Queens could work too but I suspect it's prohibitively more expensive.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:44 pm
It’s a huge huge mix. Ranging from most low key likely bayswater to super wealthy areas of Lawrence. Far rock itself is a mix. There’s many communities like north woodmere (which is a nice mix) woomere, old woodmere/Hewlett (high taxes but there are chinuch families moving there) inwood, Cedarhurst.. yes they all use the same schools but some (not all) schools are kind of separated by neighborhood. Really there is something for everyone! So depends what ur looking for.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:50 pm
If u share your background, hashkafa, age range, housing budget, the schools u would possibly send to, I am happy to tell you what might be a good fit

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:51 pm
Can you please tell me more?

I'm moving from a totally different area. Looking for a low key, out-of-town flavor. We are in between yeshivish and MO, not in either side. I'm told Bayswater may be a good fit but when looking at real estate the houses look a lot nicer farther out. But I just really don't know what I'm looking at.

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:54 pm
5T has a much larger MO community. Not so much in Far Rockaway. If you’re looking for OOT feel then Bayswater may be a good fit but yes it is a bit farther out and separated from the main Far Rockaway community.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:57 pm
Budget is a huge factor.. what is ur budget op? And it would be helpful if u told us if u would be sending to like darchei or more like halb?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:12 pm
My budget is "OMG I wish we could just stay out of town." We're in a very early stage of considering this move so I would like to know what the range is before making our budget.

We need (not want, need) at least 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, and a parking spot (driveway, garage, anything.) 4 bedrooms could mean 3 bedrooms and a basement/attic that could be turned into a bedroom. I would like to know what the price range for something like that is in each area, and how the taxes on that compare between areas.

We do not know yet what school would fit, that's also part of the question I'm asking here. Again we are middle of the road not yeshivish nor MO. Kids are currently in elementary school in a place with one mixed middle-of-the-road school. As we get to the FR/FT area the first would be approaching high school age (girl).

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My budget is "OMG I wish we could just stay out of town." We're in a very early stage of considering this move so I would like to know what the range is before making our budget.

We need (not want, need) at least 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, and a parking spot (driveway, garage, anything.) 4 bedrooms could mean 3 bedrooms and a basement/attic that could be turned into a bedroom. I would like to know what the price range for something like that is in each area, and how the taxes on that compare between areas.

We do not know yet what school would fit, that's also part of the question I'm asking here. Again we are middle of the road not yeshivish nor MO. Kids are currently in elementary school in a place with one mixed middle-of-the-road school. As we get to the FR/FT area the first would be approaching high school age (girl).

Bayswater prob 650-750 low taxes
North woodmere- 850-950 10-24k taxes depending in district
Inwood 550 (for tiny tiny)-750,8 taxes around 8k
Cedarhurst 7-8 taxes depends but prob 8-12k
Far Rockaway 950+ low taxes
Lawrence- a lot lol
Woodmere 850-1.2 taxes depend on district but not lower than 10-12k
These are rough estimates. I’m sure u can get higher/lower but generally this is the ranges I would say.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:26 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Lawrence- a lot lol
These are rough estimates. I’m sure u can get higher/lower but generally this is the ranges I would say.

That was really helpful! Are you a real estate agent?!

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That was really helpful! Are you a real estate agent?!

Nope! I just Bh bought a house so I became quite familiar. But I’ve been living in this area a long time

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:34 pm
Lawrence- a lot lol

When discussing taxes there is one other factor to consider. Bayswater & Far Rockaway are in NYC so you also have to pay NYC income taxes if you are higher income. The five towns are not in NYC so there is no city income tax

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:40 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
When discussing taxes there is one other factor to consider. Bayswater & Far Rockaway are in NYC so you also have to pay NYC income taxes if you are higher income. The five towns are not in NYC so there is no city income tax

Yes! But also the propert taxes are way lower. So depending on ur situation it can kind of even out

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:51 pm
West hempstead might be a good option if you are looking for something lower key
About ~30 mins away

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:03 pm
I dont think Far Rockaway or the 5 Towns are particularly low key. You can always get lucky with a good block but you shouldn't expect it. Bayswater is the most low key area you will find locally.

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:10 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I dont think Far Rockaway or the 5 Towns are particularly low key. You can always get lucky with a good block but you shouldn't expect it. Bayswater is the most low key area you will find locally.

Yes I agree. I live in FR- it’s becoming less and less low key.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:04 pm
Lawrence- a lot lol

Sorry. These prices are off. Cedarhurst 4 bedroom is over 900,000.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:25 pm
Lawrence- a lot lol

I think you low balled the numbers significantly in cedarhurst and Woodmere. A four bedroom in cedarhurst is more like 900,000 there’s nothing in the sevens at all.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:27 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I think you low balled the numbers significantly in cedarhurst and Woodmere. A four bedroom in cedarhurst is more like 900,000 there’s nothing in the sevens at all.

Correct. And even for 900,000 you will likely need to do some remodeling.
Refinished houses, even small 4 bedrooms are at least a million in both woodmere and cedarhurst unless you go into the cedarhurst-hewlett border where taxes are over 18,000 a year

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:30 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

I was thinking more like those small 3 bedroom ones that have a small basement with another room bec of what op said she needed. But yeah for a nice proper 4 bedroom it’s low.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:48 pm
I was thinking more like those small 3 bedroom ones that have a small basement with another room bec of what op said she needed. But yeah for a nice proper 4 bedroom it’s low.

Yes, I did say that a basement or attic fit for use as a bedroom would count for me as a 4th bedroom. Point is we need at least 4 separate places for people to sleep and not crowd the bathrooms either. Still, it sounds like Far Rockaway and Bayswater are significantly more affordable than the 5 towns. What is the difference in the income tax? What's worse, 5 towns property tax or NYC income tax?

I'm intrigued about West Hempstead. What would the commute be like to work in Far Rockaway? I looked on Zillow and it looks like the prices are in a similar range to Far Rockaway but for houses that are nicer and on larger properties. In what way is it more low key though? People are living in fancier houses but with a more down to earth lifestyle? That's the intriguing part I guess.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating