Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Summer Shabbos lunch menus
1  2  Next

Do you make cholent in the summer?
Yes  
 60%  [ 50 ]
No  
 19%  [ 16 ]
Sometimes (please elaborate)  
 20%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 83

su7kids

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 11:53 am
We usually have fish and lots of salads, and its way too hot to have cholent in summer (we usually have Tea to be yotze having something hot),and cold cuts are expensive, so that leaves chicken, pretty much.

What do you serve for shabbos lunches in the summer, and if you cook chicken, how do you prepare it?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 11:57 am
Before my parents had a crockpot, they wouldn't make chulent in the summer because it was too hot to leave the stove on all shabbos. A crockpot doesn't give off heat (or not a lot), so it's no biggy. By the time we eat it, it's not THAT piping hot anyway and if it's summer, that means air conditioner.

su7kids

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 11:59 am
yo'ma wrote:
Before my parents had a crockpot, they wouldn't make chulent in the summer because it was too hot to leave the stove on all shabbos. A crockpot doesn't give off heat (or not a lot), so it's no biggy. By the time we eat it, it's not THAT piping hot anyway and if it's summer, that means air conditioner.

Ahhh, in California, we don't all live with air conditioning, so our summers are hot indoors.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 12:04 pm
Quote:
Ahhh, in California, we don't all live with air conditioning, so our summers are hot indoors.
My mother grew up in L.A., I'll have to ask her if they had chulent in the summer, but probably knowing my grandfather a"s, they probably did.

red sea

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 12:31 pm
In the summer for shabbos lunch I love fruit soup, but I dont actually like cholent any time of year.

The real only way I like chicken shabbos day in the summer is chicken salad, either way, either ground or bite size shredded peices with assorted salad vegetables & dressing.

Helani

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 1:49 pm
We usually only have cholent when we have guests, otherwise too much is left over. In winter I make stuff I can put on blech to warm up (dry chicken, kugels), in summer sometimes it's cold cuts and a kugel or just salads, and tea to make sure we had something hot. Smile

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 2:14 pm
We eat the same year round by night and by day. The plata is on a timer and in general we eat in shul anyway. At home it's just the challah and some chicken usually, anyway.

Su7, what's the issue - heating up the kitchen or what ? If you're anyway making enough chicken and a side dish for Fridaynight, wha'ts with jut making more and eating it by day, too ?

I find cutting up a lot of salads or making many side dishes tedious and unapprciated anyway.

Hannah!

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 2:22 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 2:56 pm
I don't like to eat cholent in the summer even though we have an air conditioner. I feel like we are already hot, why make ourselves hotter even though my husband likes to drink hot tea in the summer. So I usually make baked shnitzel for a main dish and some sort of salad as a side dish.

Last edited by Pickle Lady on Fri, Apr 04 2008, 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

su7kids

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 3:20 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

Su7, what's the issue - heating up the kitchen or what ? If you're anyway making enough chicken and a side dish for Fridaynight, wha'ts with jut making more and eating it by day, too ?

I find that the chicken gets fatty. So I am looking for some recipes and ideas.

greeneyes

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 3:27 pm
We rarely have cholent, even during the winter, except when we have guests or if my husband is in the mood.

Here's a great salad that I often serve for shabbos lunch:

Grilled Chicken Breast Salad

Marinate chicken breasts:
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 T. brown sugar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 cup ketchup

Cut each chicken cutlet into 3 or 4 strips. Combine above ingredients & pour over chicken cutlets. Refrigerate several hours or overnight, if you have the time. Grill or bake chicken breasts (I always bake them, covered with aluminum foil, at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour-40 minutes. I bake them in the marinade.) When the chicken is cool, cut into strips.

Salad Dressing:
1/2 cup low fat mayo
1 tsp. garlic powder
few shakes black pepper
3-4 T. water

Salad:
romaine lettuce
craisins
grape tomatoes

Mix salad with dressing and top with the chicken.

(To give credit where credit is due, this recipe is from the cookbook Simple Pleasures.)

Hannah!

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 4:13 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

dora

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 5:40 pm
What would Shabbos be without cholent? I make cholent year round, if I don't my family will disown me. I use a hot plate for Friday night with a timer to go off and a timer for the cholent that is in the crock pot, so by early afternoon there is nothing plugged in to heat up the kitchen.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 6:14 pm
su7kids wrote:
I find that the chicken gets fatty. So I am looking for some recipes and ideas.

You can pour the fat off. What about using white meat rather than dark ?

montrealmommy

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 10:15 pm
we alternate b/w cholents, soups and tea, depends on the weather and comapny. When we have lots of people I will often make a cholent or soup dish b/c it 'goes farther', when it's just us and the kids we are yotzei by tea.

chayitty

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 12:22 am
I actually make chulent more in the summer then in the winter for one in the summer we have more guests and another thing is the fri.'s r longer so we eat chulent fri. afternoon as well

Marion

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:08 am
I don't make it at all, much to my husband's disappointment. I tried it once and wasn't worth the effort. I don't eat it at all.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:34 am
Instead of using a blech, why not use what we in Israel call a plata - a large hotplate. Put it on a timer.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 3:23 am
Once Pesach hits, we don't have soup or cholent. Even with a/c. That's how my parents did it, that's what we do.
Cold Salad Recipes follow
I serve different things as a first course during the day: artichoke (only when they are not buggy), fruit cup, fruit soup (when they get cheap) or half a baby melon, salads etc. or sometimes nothing.
I grill all our meat outside and serve it either reheated on the plata or cold. My kids love grilled pargit (thigh meat) and grilled chicken breast. I also make turkey parts this way.
We have kugel yerushalmi and/or carrot kugel every week (I made one recipe of each and split it so that I only have to bake kugel every two weeks). Couscous is good cold or hot. Sometimes I buy ready-made moroccan cigars filled with meat and reheat on the Plata.
I have a wonderful cold Orzo salad recipe, if anyone wants - just PM me.
Vegetable salad + chummus or whatever salad I make complete the meal. I try not to have too much cause then stuff goes to waste.

Orzo and Vegetable Salad (from Heinz)
1 cup orzo (rice shaped pasta)
1/4 cup White/Apple Cider vinegar
2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
4 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
lettuce cups
tomato wedges

Cook orzo according to package directions; cool. Combine vinegar and next 5 ingredients in jar. Cover ans shake vigorously. Chill to blend flavors. Combine orzo, peas, onions and bell pepper in large bowl; pour dressing over and toss. Cover; chill several hours or overnight. Serve in lettuce cups; garnish with tomato. Makes 6 servings (about 5 cups).
*I don't mix it before Shabbat morning to keep the pasta fresh. I store pasta separate from the veggies and from the dressing.

Salami Pasta Salad

1 package spiral pasta, cooked
1 1/4 cups pitted olives
1 cup chopped green peppers
350 grams salami cut into thin strips (julienned)
1 small red onion, cut into rings
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1 2.5 oz jar pimento, drained (optional)
3/4 cup Italian dressing

Combine all ingredients; add pasta and toss well.

Rice and Beet Salad

2 cups cooked rice
2 cups shredded cooked beets
3 Tablespoons chopped green onions
1/3 cup oil
2 Tablespoons vinegar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon salt
pinch of pepper
1/3 cup mayonnaise

1. Mix rice, beets and scallions.
2. Shake together oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. When the mixture thickens, pour over the rice and beets. Toss to coat thoroughly. Cool for at least an hour.

Corn and Pepper Salad

1/2 cup chopped onion
2 Tablespoon salad oil
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1 10-oz package frozen whole-kernel corn
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
dash ground red pepper

In 1 1/2 quart casserole, cook onion, salad oil, and curry powder on High 4 minutes. Stir in frozen corn, red and green peppers, vinegar, sugar, salt and ground red pepper. Cook, covered, on High 7 to 8 minutes until peppers are tender, stirring twice during cooking. Chill. Can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Makes 10 servings.

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 3:33 am
yup we have cholent in teh summer....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen