Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Changing Your Psak On Shabbos Baby Wipes
1  2  Next

Hannah!

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 2:39 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 2:44 pm
It's interesting. We alwways were just going to use wipes, I learned in Israel to and dh's brother does. Well, turns out that our VERY frum and learned rav uses wipes! I almost fainted. Well, we still use the spray because that's what we do, but it has happened that there was a problem I don't know if I lost the spray or the diaper was horrible, but we used wipes once. It wasn't a psak we ever got from a Rav and we know our Rav uses them, so I don't see a prob. On the other hand, you could make your own spray, though I don't find it works as well, or, you could have someone send you a box at once.

mumoo

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 2:56 pm
Hannah! wrote:
= I am calling the first Rov since I don't want to do anything that hints of "psak shopping" --

that's what I would do, too

waterbottle

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 4:43 pm
I vote for Psak shopping. You should ask every rabbi you know.

mumoo

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 6:07 pm
and follow which of them?

Seraph

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 6:22 pm
u can make a very good spray- 1 cup baby oil, 1 cup baby soap, 2 cups water, dash of olive oil- it works so well that I prefer it to wipes all week!

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 9:52 pm
I used the spray at first, and SM got horrible rashes from it, so I resorted to baby wipes...sh....

morahaviva

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:45 am
There is a website- you type in the answer you want - the website gives you a list of which rabbis to ask!! Wink

catonmylap

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:54 am
You need to ask a different Rav why it's okay to use baby wipes, so you will understand and not think you are being meikal or doing something that is not really okay.

It's so much easier for a Rav to say something is assur. It's much harder and requires much more knowledge to say something is mutar.

boruchhashem

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:58 am
sleek sensation is a company that makes wipes that are said are ok to use on shabbos, due to the wipes being more of a nylon type, that does not absorb nor tear, as opposed to the cotton, that does absorb and tear. check it out.

Akeres Habayis

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 2:04 am
I use wipes on shabbos, based on I cant sqeeze anything from it,and the dont tear. what wipes tear?
if u use spray what do u use to wipe???

Crayon210

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 2:37 am
Tissues.

mamacita

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 2:56 am
I use dried out wipes since they don't pill like tissues

chavamom

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 2:57 am
It doesn't sound like your first rav said "no" in the first place... so why you would have to call him?

Akeres Habayis

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 5:31 am
shock tissue??
for sure that would tear more than a dried out baby wipe,not to mention the sqeezing issue.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 8:08 am
What's the problem with tearing?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 9:47 am
It's so much easier for a Rav to say something is assur. It's much harder and requires much more knowledge to say something is mutar.
that's funny u said that,Rabbi L. Schapiro says this all the time. he said someone who truly knows the halacha knows that there are ways around things.the halacha isn't there to make things so difficult/unpleasant for someone.
I guess that's why we have chumros,minhagim LOL

Hannah!

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 2:22 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 3:24 pm
Hannah! wrote:
He basically told us to be machmir, so I feel that it is inappropriate for us to "go meikil" without asking him first.

I am not at all questioning the permissibility of using baby wipes on Shabbos. Rather, I don't fell it is appropriate for me personally to use them having been told "be machmir" until the Rabbi who told me to be machmir tells me that it is ok for me to be meikil.

Listen, if you could, you'd be machmir. But how far do you have to go ?

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 3:28 pm
I don't understand how using wipes is being meikel. It's halachically allowed. No machmir not meikel - both are allowed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics